Overcoming mental block to stationary indoor training

Well said, @Captain_Doughnutman !

Haha, yes, @mellowdave! That’s what got him this far into the process.

1 Like

I decided I needed it.

I tried it, hated it. Left it. A year later I got on Jan 1st 2017, now all my training in on TR.

Your mate just needs a reason to do it.

If he’s happy enjoying riding outside, having fun, nothing wrong, then he has no reason to do it. When he becomes frustrated by a year of failures, or gets afraid of cars, or has a baby and no time, whatever - he just has to have a reason. That will drive him.

3 Likes

This.
A lot of people just want to ride their bike and have fun trying to go as fast as they can. That’s enough for them.

They don’t want to do months & months of something they dislike just to go a bit faster for a bit longer. The ROI for fun is not high enough.

Kind of like the ‘10,000 Hour Rule’ (yes I know it’s not a real thing); most people get enough hours under their belt (~50hr) to become competent, and that’s enough for them. It takes an inordinate amount of time beyond that to land on a much higher level. E.g. training for 300 hours for a 1 hour race.

[edit: just read this from pro rider Adam Blythe:
“There’s no point in going back to race for an English team on 30K. It’s good but you have to put in so much effort that it’s almost not worth it. I might as well of put my time into something else and earn more money that way."
Just sayin’…]

1 Like

I just read that myself, just a bit ago. Its just one of those things, if its fun, do it, if its not don’t.

My motivation is to train better and smarter to avoid injuries that come hand in hand with aging, and to avoid going way down a rabbit trail in training.

I want to be able to go enjoy a 66 mile ride and not feel like I am surviving it. I don’t mind that surviving feeling in a 100 miler, its a bit more of a challenge kind of ride, but I still want it to be fun. In order to get there, I need to train smart. That thinking drives my training, and my training is better on TR than off it. When I was younger and bullet proof, I too would go out and just pound miles. Hours and hours on the bike, hundreds of miles a week, but strangely, I’m faster now, and I spend about 7-9 hours a week training. That leaves a lot of time to knock back metric centuries on Sunday and spend time with the fam.

1 Like

I have zero resistance to the indoor trainer. I don’t need too much entertainment, sticks or carrots.
Except for a Friday night after work. You couldn’t pay me to get on my watt bike on a Friday night after work.
The conclusion I’ve come to is that I’m mentally tired from putting the politics of the week to bed.
Does your friend have a significant source of stress, or a “long running script” like we all do from time to time…

1 Like