New Wahoo Kickr V5 2020

Going With the RJ25 port is probably due to less stringent electromagnetic interference certifications than on RJ45 by using an adapter you could use an off the shelf adapter that probably is already certified.

Have wahoo put out anything yet on the hardwire connection? Would certainly look into this if available.

Nothing yet.

Since this thread is about the relatively new Kickr 20 i thought I’d relay something I’m trying to figure about it and perhaps others have encountered.

Background: this is my 3rd Wahoo Kickr in 4 years. Had two Kickr 18s over the last 3 years that both succumbed to the HW failure issue resulting in loud noises, etc. that many have experienced. Received a new 20 V5 model a few weeks and set it up, etc.

Did an FTP ramp test recently and I could not believe how much more resistance I encountered and the workout unfolded and thus resulting in a much lower FTP reading. 300 watt FTP six weeks down to 266. My fitness has been somewhat steady state. I had no issues between the two Kickr 18s over the last many years and my benchmarks were nearly identical between the two and stayed consistent. However the Kickr 20 vs the prior 18s is like different experience altogether.

I’ve searched for other posts about this but have not seen any. Any insight, thoughts, fixes appreciated.

So, the old FTP test was on a K18 & the new test was on the K20?

Assuming you are on the latest firmware (the K20 got a new one very recently) and had a habit of calibrating the K18 as directed (every 3-4 weeks minimum), we’d hope the are reasonably close for power reporting. The K2 auto-calibrates when you coast for at least 2 seconds.

Sadly, we see plenty of examples where that is not the case. It’s best to run a comparison with a 3rd power meter, on a bike between both trainers. You need a comparison with the same intermediate device to have a meaningful comparison.

Lacking that is a bunch of RPE and guesswork that is not conclusive. This issue is the reason for the recommendation to retest FTP any time you swap power measurement devices. At this point, you are best to use the new data and create a new season so you can start a new history based upon your new trainer.

More work may be possible to analyze the new trainer. but it will take a power meter to do so.

Yes thats right. I did dozens of tests on the 2 prior 18s.
I have another power meter (Quarq) on a gravel bike. To run a comparison between the new Kickr 20 and the Quarq, how is that done? Via a 20 min test? Not sure how i could do a ramp test with the Quarq? Thanks very much for the response (new here!)

I am not the best at running the tests, but here is an overly simple concept.

1. Load a bike and associated power meter on Trainer A (ex: K18).

• Calibrate both devices per standard practice for each.
    • Connect each power device to a device capable of recording a workout.
    • Perform a basic workout with steady efforts of maybe 1-2 minutes each, at a few different power levels, according the the bike power meter. Something like an Endurance pace, Tempo pace, Threshold pace and VO2Max pace so you cover a range of powers.
    • Save the two workout files for analysis later.
  2. Load the same bike and power meter on trainer B (ex: K20).

• Repeat the same setup and test and file save as above.
  3. Use a power data file comparison too to see how each trainer reported power as compared to the power meter.

• Since the power meter is the same “tape measure” any deviation from that would be similar if the trainers are similar.
    • But if the trainers have a different deviation from the power meter ( one up while the other is down), that shows a differential in reporting.
    • You need to check at each respective power block, since they may not have the same difference across the board.
    • It’s a real pain to do it properly.
1 Like
1 Like

I badly need this for my concrete basement… not really jazzed on the $100usd price tag however to compliment a $1500 trainer.

1 Like

:raised_hand: I do… just put it into my basement remodel :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, for those that aren’t using a PC/Mac with an option to at least plug in to that, this has some limits to reach.

1 Like

Just noticed a new firmware update (4.2.1) adding Bluetooth FTMS support. Any idea if this will change things and if this is the option we should now be selecting? I haven’t seen much coverage about this anywhere.

In the latest TR desktop beta … direct connection support :+1:

2 Likes

It looks like a new KICKR V6 is on the horizon, as my wahoo fitness mentioned when updating (on iOS):

‘Added: Support for KICKR V6 - Wi-Fi configuration and network information.
Added: Odometer display for KICKR ROLLR and KICKR v6’.

2 Likes

@dcrainmaker and @GPLama should be on the case

Yup, I am watching for official releases and will do a new topic with all links once they are available.

1 Like

The new Kickrs are now listed on Wahoo’s site, so probably time for a new thread :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Finally changing from wheel on trainer to V5. I need to install 10 speed cassette though to match my bike’s gearing. Does it have to be the exact same one as listed on Wahoo website or any 10-speed cassette will do? Price differences are substantial…

Any cassette.

1 Like

OMG that was quick answer! Many thanks mate