New study compares Time@VO2max of Varied- and Constant-Intensity Intervals

If I’m reading the charts correctly it is a different 5 minute work rate.

b) 5 minutes steady at ~78% MAP with spikes
vs
c) 5 minutes steady at ~84% MAP

My assumption then, if you want to improve vo2 you are better off doing over/under vs spending all work time in the vo2 zone(?).

Not exactly. You’re better off doing shorter intervals at a higher percentage of your MAP versus longer at a lower percentage. If you go through the TrainerRoad workout library it would be something like doing Dana -2 vs Garfield (not exactly the same due to longer periods of rest and work intervals on Dana-1, but fairly comparable.)

By my reading the study wasn’t done by RPE, only the warm up was. The actual test intervals were done using % of MAP, which is watts based.

1 Like

Yep, I posted before understanding :sweat_smile:

I haven’t got time to go through the rest of the study, but it’s suggesting we can last longer with varied intervals for the same HR/RPE than constant. And if time around VO2max is a good training stimulus (called out as an early assumption), then this is a good thing: more training stimulus for the same physiological stress (as measured by HR and RPE).

84% of VO2 max (assuming VO2 Max = MAP) = threshold, for a well-trained cyclist

so no, a 5-minute effort at 84% of VO2 max isn’t going to do much for your V02 Max (or your threshold, for that matter).

My max aerobic power/VO2 is 415w. My FTP is 350. So sure, 5 minutes at 350 is going to elicit less of a VO2 max stimulus than riding at 325w with some bursts all the way up to 415. Who is going to do a 5-min interval at FTP, unless it’s something like 5 of them with 1 min recoveries.

I would rather see a study where one group is doing the 5min at 95% of VO2 max, and another group is doing the 5min at 78% of VO2 max + surges up to 100%. That’s more apples to apples.

3 Likes

well, the paper has a method section :slight_smile:

I don’t think their MAP is necessarily your MAP. Hence MAP = VO2max does not necessarily apply.

And I would have a hard time believing that they ran such a study with 5min at threshold. I mean Ronnestad knows his stuff.

By the way, there is also a discussion section in the paper. This is where the put their study into context with other studies and what they consider new/unique. I don’t think it’s justified to be too harsh with this study. I actually find it quite inspiring.

1 Like

I’d just like to see it broken down into wattage values we are more familiar with – Ronnestad is one of the cutting edge guys now, yes.

Why are people mentioning over unders? This has nothing to do with over-unders does it? Not seen any information on the subjects threshold vs VO2Max (might have missed it) I would think that b) for example is over-moreover intervals rather than over-unders.

it’s over-under relative to the constant work interval

Over-Under in context means being above and below a general value. Typical use is with respect to Threshold as the common TR prescription bounces between 95% & 105% of Threshold.

The work above is definitely up-down, but I don’t think “over-under” is appropriate when thinking about the context above.

I say that without reviewing their info closely. Maybe their top and bottom in the interval are “over-under” some value other than Threshold? I am not sure the O-U make sense with simple reference to the “other” constant one?

Anybody understand the specificity of this to know?

If the HIIT intervals of the steady-state group were at the intensity that usually elicits VO2 max within that 5 min work time, the “spike” group corroborates what the Australian study from a few years back showed (a group that did their 3min HIIT intervals with an all-out sprint and then went as hard as they could go for the remainder of the interval vs. a group that did the intervals even-paced at a very high percentage of VO2 max – the "go out hard and go 'til you bow group spent more time at VO2max even though their wattages declined over the course of the set): that all-out surges result in oxygen debt, and sub-maximal efforts following the surges are just hard enough to keep you in debt.

I didn’t immediately track down Daniels reference, however TR’s ramp test is a MAP test and produces a MAP estimate. Its the 1-minute max power from ramp test, or your TR FTP estimate divided by .75. There are other ramp tests, some use longer steps.

They don’t use the term over-under. I did. And someone else here. And this simply without considering the wider semantic implications of such a usage.

1 Like

That’s in line with how AIS measures MAP.

Assuming the Daniels protocol for MAP gives the same result as TR ramp test, and TR is using 75% of MAP for FTP estimate, here are the intervals in TR terminology:

• Varied Intervals. 30-seconds at 133% FTP, then 1-min at 103% (repeated for 5-min total with last at 1.5-min)

• Constant Intervals. 5 minutes at 112% FTP (roughly Mount Foraker +3)

2 Likes

Exactly, if using the term in a different way to general accepted then it should be defined.

1 Like

Oh yeah now that makes sense.

And yep, matches up with the AIS study where the cyclists did full-gas sprints at the start of their 3min intervals, then faded as their RPE was still maxed – going that deep into the red and then trying to hold a supra-threshold pace is a great recipe for oxygen debt and eliciting VO2 max.

2 Likes

Makes sense. :slight_smile:

hmm, interesting but vo2max isn’t an energy system. Too bad there are no vo2max modeling tools other than post analysis using WKO, and that reminds to re-read sparecycles.blog findings.

2 Likes

I’m a diesel and outlier where FTP is limited by max aerobic power / Power@5-min-VO2max. Getting more time at high % of vo2max is a good way to raise the ceiling :smiley: after sweet spot work. Also looking forward to rebuilding FRC, nothing better than throwing down a lot of power for 30 or 60 or 90 seconds :biking_man: