🎉🎉🎉 New Product Release! Updated Training Plans, Workout Levels, TrainNow Updates 🎉🎉🎉

With all this integration happening soon and all this new data gathering. will you include getting data from apple watch and or whoop?

1 Like

Fair call. I think it’s reasonable to expect that if you see TN recommendations as a totally separate entity to AT and the progression levels.
My take is that they’re linked. Though that’s only a guess.

Nate has said he wants to bring in more data points like HRV, sleep tracking, etc., But that the priority right now is nailing AT without those data points first. So it is on the roadmap, but we don’t have a timeline.

Me too!!!

A good summary by @hvvelo. I too am concerned with the new, much easier plans, and the inability to use the old plans (which work well for me) without some serious manual editing. This is one reason we pay for TR… not wasting time building plan calendars.

Would be good to have some way for those of us without AT to be able to load the old plans.

I understand this significant difficulty mismatch will be automatically corrected when AT is released. But the problem is most of us do not have access to AT. Thus what used to be a fairly easy process of setting up productive training plans now involve lots of manual calendar editing.

Some comments here, including from @Jonathan, goes along the line of minimum effective dose. I get that, and believe that philosophy deeply. But for many TR users, with years of experience (myself since 2017), prior experimenting with reducing loads (in general, as @hvvelo noted, I got faster for a while due to being fresh, but then tanks), regular FTP testing (every 4-8 wks), 99+ % compliance rate, we know how to tweak the old (much higher TSS) plans to suit continual improvement.

4 Likes

You start by saying you are a paying subscriber and shouldn’t have to waste time tweaking plans and finish by saying you know what you’re doing and can make TR work for you because you are good at tweaking the plans.

7 Likes

I said “serious manual editing” at the start, then “tweaking” at the end. Please read carefully :slight_smile: Don’t mind the latter at all. Don’t get me wrong, I very much like TR.

Just hoping to raise some awareness to the crew that the new plan role-out without concurrent AT support may be leaving some users in a somewhat inconvenient state.

Haha, but this is tough, easy plan or hard plan… there will always be someone complaining :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Same, I’ve never seen a recommendation other than 60 min endurance. Which is odd because I’ve been doing 3:15-3:30 hour endurance on Sundays.

1 Like

With Train Now you select the duration for the recommendation, default is 60 minutes. So of course it won’t recommend much longer unless you change that.

5 Likes

Workout duration is a user input, not a system recommendation.

So far new plans are hard but doable for me, no complaints. Ssb1 mid volume week one is :white_check_mark:
Trust the process and if I need to tweak, the workout levels are awesome to have now!

4 Likes

There’s an added element here as a long time user where we’ve been told to “trust the process” and it turns out later that process wasn’t laid out as good as thought or intended.

2 Likes

Processes evolve. That’s science in a nutshell.

6 Likes

I think the old plans were good plans. The new plans are just better plans.

2 Likes

True dat.

Evolving of processes during science is also best done transparently and with peer review.

Not sure if you are trying to equate what TR is doing to science. I certainly it wouldn’t, nor would I expect them to.

1 Like

“Better” is naturally a vague term, and often in the eye of the beholder.

Then I guess you don’t trust carbon fiber, anything aero, suspension, etc. I mean those have all evolved as we’ve learned more and more sophisticated technology or more R&D has been used. The human body is metric f*** tons more complex than that.

That sounds like a cop out. Then I guess nothing can be improved ever, because it would just be in the eye of the beholder. So nothing should ever be updated, or changed, or evolve over time.

1 Like

TrainerRoad is a business. They’re not going to publicly share their algorithms so competitors can steal them.

Here’s the definition of science. I’d say this is exactly what TR is doing. “ the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.”

Sure it was. Now TR has more information and they’ve created what they think is a better process. If you trusted the process they gave you before, without a clinical study or peer review, I don’t know why you’d need those things to validate the new process. The old one represented the best they had; the new one represents the best they have.

8 Likes