New Feature - TrainNow

I left TR because I found that I was just burning out with the Plans, and wanted to go to do 2 workouts a week with stready progression (which I could do easier and cheaper elsewhere) , I got a whoop and found that I could handle far more intensity, but not as often

I’ve come back to TR mainly because of Train Now, and progression levels, I now use TN to pack two workouts per week (either a sweetspot and V02 or thresshold and anerobic), I rarely pick hour workouts, do one long ride on a sunday and a group short sharp ride mid week, and the rest is just zone 2, and at the moment I am rocking my highest ever (age 52)

Trainnow rocks (but don’t get caught in the gamification of progression levels)

1 Like

Im so sorry, having a little trouble understanding your request. Can this be achieved just by changing duration?

I think he wants a range, say between 60 and 90 minute options, rather than a single value like 60 mins.

2 Likes

Yes that’s right.

Another reason this can make sense is that maybe for me based on varying PL’s, a 60 min VO2 is enough, but 60 min SS is not enough.
I would like to see TN be able to recommend one gallery of options containing perhaps a 60 min VO2 or 90 min SS, or something zone2, without me awkwardly flipping through the durations manually.

Then why not choose a 60 min. higher PL sweet spot workout, maybe not wiht TrainNow, but in the wokrout catalog using the filters.

Would you not just choose the duration based on how much time you have, not to be smarter than the Machine? Trust the system.

1 Like

Lol, Ive a free night and because its been a endurance/rest week TN is recommending me a Climbing WO for a change. Although I think I’ll stick with the Endurance one I selected and concentrate more on TT bike handling.

1 Like

Hi. Does anyone else ever do TrainNow twice in a single training session? Example today I used TN and went with ‘Tumbe’ a 60 min VO2 workout (low PL, easy/moderate), and immediately after that I used TN again to do ‘West Vidette +1’ a 45 min endurance workout with a couple surges.

Have the TR staff ever touched on what kind of benefits there may or may not be for doing a high intensity followed by endurance workout?

Does using TrainNow twice in a row mess up the adaptive training algo at all? Probably not, but I wouldn’t mind seeing a confirmation.

Also my posts from months ago just a few posts up, I still would like to see the ability to specify a range of durations. I imagine this would be super low on the dev priority list if on there at all but one can wish.

Yes. Doing additional z2 is beneficial as long as it doesn’t negatively impact your next workout. TR has suggested on numerous occasions that extending workouts to add even 15 mins of z2 is a good way to add additional volume.

No it doesn’t.

1 Like

Yes, I echo what MI-XC says!

Check out this Ask a Cycling Coach clip where our Coaches dive into the topic of adding more Volume by tacking on more Aerobic riding to your structured Workouts:
How to Safely and Efficiently Add Volume to Your Training Plan (Ask a Cycling Coach 253)

Using TrainNow twice will not interfere with the algorithm or Adaptive Training. We recognise any changes to your Progression Levels from a TrainNow Workout and adjust future recommendations based on those new Progression Levels. Both Workouts will still impact your Progression Levels and, therefore Adaptive Training.

Thanks for the suggestions. Since this isn’t a common request and is likely less desirable for many athletes, it is unlikely to be something we will implement in the near future. I will definitely take note of your interest though!

3 Likes

Cool thank you both!

I will check out that link Sarah, thx.

1 Like

Hi again. Just wanted to say I’m really loving TrainNow.

Two days ago Tuesday I was surprised when it recommended to me a 2x20 hard-start SS workout, this being a 4th day in a row on-the-bike after 3 previous days of weekend riding (XC’ish MTB easy/moderate). I’m guessing the algo saw that I had 4 days off prior to the weekend riding (was on business travel) and figured I was relatively fresh. Well the SS workout did beat me up a bit but I completed it, felt drained afterwards. Ok.

Two days later, today, it recommended a VO2 workout (a PL 5.0, going up from 4.0) and I had low hopes going in, but man even during the zone 1 warmup I could tell my legs just felt strong. I completed the workout, rated it ‘hard’ but it was a good ‘hard’ and certainly doable and productive.

So… yeah :slight_smile: a pleasant surprise and a story I wanted to share. Thanks for this great feature! :+1::+1:

7 Likes