New Feature - TrainNow

A post was merged into an existing topic: Help Chad fix in-ride text typos; post them here :point_down:

All TrainerRoad workouts should have an outside equivalent, and if they donā€™t yet, its likely just because its a new workout and weā€™ll get to that outside equivalent soon!

2 Likes

I have a issue with TrainNow that I am hoping people can help me with. I have a infant so am getting 1-2 outside rides a week and am adding TrainNow rides inside when I can. The problem I am running into is the power meter on my outside bike (4iiii left) gives me a FTP 20-30 watts higher then my trainer (H3) . So I run into the problem that either my FTP is set incorrectly for half my rides, or that I have to change my FTP before I ride.
If I keep changing my FTP based on whether I am riding inside or outside will this effect my TrainNow recommendations? Iā€™m thinking it will as people mention in the adaptive training threads that changing your FTP changes your levels.

PowerMatch is supposed to fix that, but the older version gave too lumpy an indoor ride with my Direto and 4iiii and I havenā€™t tried it since the new improved app came out. Edit: A re-read suggests the bike you use on trainer doesnā€™t have PM so you canā€™t use PowerMatch anyway.

The 4iiii has a scaling feature however, accessible in their app, and thatā€™s what I use as a workaround. The DC Rainmaker Analyzer will let you nail down the disparity at different intensities, and you can decide how much to scale overall.

The upside is you donā€™t have to keep resetting FTP and possibly confusing TrainNow. The downside, only to ego, is that your outside numbers on same rides wonā€™t look as good.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will check out the 4iii scaling

Still waiting for the invite to AT so been using TrainNow instead letting the system select my next workout. Iā€™m quite used to recovery weeks as they are usually scheduled in the plan builder. But there is nu such thing in trainnow. Perhaps itā€™ll throw in easier workout once a week if the previous one was hard but overall it doesnā€™t allow for recovery. Is it same in AT controlled training program?

Youā€™ll always be served an Endurance workout in TrainNow, and its difficulty/duration and achievability will depend directly upon the work (or rest) youā€™ve done leading up to it.

This is where Plan Builder and Adaptive Training cover those bases. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I have one cheat day and this is how TrainNow is gonna treat meā€¦. Jerk!

3 Likes

Reminds me, I have that climb on a bikepacking (mountain bike) event at the end of the monthā€¦ and I always get to that particular bit after a solid 12 hours of riding when Iā€™m absolutely bolloxed.

Not looking forward to it, though hopefully this year Iā€™ll be in good form (I have a nasty habit of getting there either sick or after recently injuring myself).

Random question about Train now

Is it safe to assume that Train Now recommendations take into account any existing plan you are doing under plan builder (edit: Assuming you are in the AT beta)? So, for example, if Iā€™m on a rest week, if I decided to do a ride on Train Now, it would recommend me to do endurance only? Or would it suggest only rides on the basis of previous rides taken so far?

TrainNow does not consider your plan.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure the answer to this is buried somewhere, butā€¦
Does Train Now take unstructured workouts into account?
For example if I do an 8hr 400 TSS ride on Sat and ask Train Now for a recommendation on Sunday is the Sat ride part of its calculation?
Thanks

TrainNowā€™s recommendations are in the ā€œProductiveā€ range relative to your Progression Level in that zone, and unstructured rides are not yet impacting your progression levels. SOON!

2 Likes

Thanks @IvyAudrain .

Got you on the PLs but does it take any aspect of that unstructured ride into account to assess fatigue when choosing whether to recommend an attacking, climbing or endurance ride the following day?

It looks like it does.

It definitely does yeah, although as mentioned on some other threads it seems a bit slow to update to account for past work and I find changing the duration of the workout forces it to update.

Itā€™s also not just looking at power data - it might be as simple as looking at volume in hours, or it might be using TRā€™s TSS estimator, or it might be using HR data otherwise - but if you go out and do a big ride without a PM it will still affect which workoutā€™s marked ā€œrecommendedā€ in TN the next day. So it ā€œseesā€ it one way or another.

1 Like

Hi,
I have been using Sufferfest for years and I am considering to use TR just because the TrainNow feature.
(I have never ever followed any plan as I like to choose the workout myself based on my daily HRV and my mood.)
I donā€™t want to cancel my SF subscription so I would like to use both training app.
Therefore my question is: will TR analyze all the workouts what I did in Sufferfest and will TrainNow analyze those workouts as well when it gaves me suggestions?

Thanks in advance, if somebody could answer my question.

I donā€™t know how deep itā€™ll analyse them but I think to a degree it does, maybe in terms of TSS. When I have a quiet week TN will recommend a high intensity ride but after a weekend of outside riding (external to TR as would SF be) the TN workout recommendations will adapt to low intensity sessions.

1 Like

Hey there! Iā€™m kind of surprised at the lack of posts in the past six months. I guess the feature has become stable, or maybe I missed a different thread lol. This post is mainly giving my story and praise but I do have a question afterwards.

As a TR user for the past three years I want to say that TrainNow has become my only practical way to train with structure.
I used to follow the multi-week plans during the winter but then I started doing outside winter riding; this means I am riding outside on nearly all weekends throughout the year in all weather conditions and usually 2-5 hours for a ride. I actually tried one season to combine the training plans and weekend riding but got seriously burnt out - a mistake I wish not to repeat.
So now with fatigue brought on from outdoor weekend riding it makes it near impossible for me to follow a training plan, even low volume which for me would be 3 hard workouts during weekdays only - no thanks. I am aware of outdoor TR workouts and will experiment with that, but generally my outdoor rides are for fun, not for structured training.

However - I feel I must do at least some structured training: from experience, if I do not do workouts and rely solely on outdoor adventures, then my fitness dwindles down to a point where my potentially long outdoor weekend rides become more suffering and less fun.

Thatā€™s where TrainNow comes in and gives me hope! I decided recently to go fully onboard with it and make that my ā€œtraining planā€ and so far I think it is amazing. I love the fact that TrainNow is not dumb, that it ties in with the relatively new AI features like adaptive training & progression levels and FTP detection.

Great work TR team and thank you!!!

One question:
Is there a way to have a profile setting for variable duration range of TrainNow recommended workouts?
If one is ok with 60-90 minute duration workouts, could TrainNow recommend for me on that day what it thinks are the best workouts that fit the specified duration range?
For example, maybe today is a Geiger day (60 min 3x12 SS), or Geiger +1 (75 min 4x12), or Geiger +2 (90 min 5x12). Or Zone2, or threshold, or VO2.

Yes I can manually select a different workout duration, but maybe it is wrong for me to do so and I donā€™t know it!

1 Like

Iā€™m glad youā€™re having success with it. There was a recent podcast in which they mentioned TrainNow is ideal for people wanting 2 structured weekday workouts and unstructured weekend rides. Iā€™m seriously thinking of dropping the traditional plans for the summer and going with TrainNow.

1 Like

I could be wrong but I thought TN gave you a recommendation based on TSS (and it probably isnā€™t as simple as one metric anyway :joy:) so if you manually change it to a longer duration itā€™ll reduce its intensity recommendation to approximately maintain that TSS. Visa versa if you shorten the duration it may increase the intensity of its recommendation. Either way it will still be right for you.