New Feature - TrainNow

@SeanHurley: thank you for your input on this thread. I also want to say that it is great that the filters on workout selection are not much finer than in the past. Excellent.

But I have a question. Yesterday, I planned to do a 4-5 hr endurance ride, outside. But in the spirit of experimentation, I decided to look at what TrainNow would recommend. But when I selected the duration =2 hrs, it responds “No selections found”. Yet there are many endurance rides in the catalogue with > 2 hrs.
Can you explain what is going on?

Thank you.

From the number of responses (and varied responders) in this thread, is it safe to assume that a lot of you are using the Beta trouble free?

Just the open beta version, without the closed beta early access

1 Like

Tops!
In terms of AT / HR I am wondering if you have ways to eliminate false data. e.g. on Sunday my HR Monitor was going crazy, that would influence AT results if false data was not to be ignored. Same goes for false PM meter data.
I can´t wait for the first results …

1 Like

I would expect that they are doing some sense checking on data before using it. I think that was even confirmed on the podcast or TR staff on the forum. That said, it can mess up many analysis tools and metrics, so I would download that Ride data, edit it (there’s several websites for this), then delete the Ride from TR and as it back

1 Like

Likely what was going on is there were no 2+ hour endurance rides that matched with your Endurance Progression Level. But we are working to fill in any kind of holes like this, so thanks for pointing it out!

2 Likes

I have been using the iOS beta trouble free for months now. No hesitation at all recommending that folks use it.

2 Likes

To upload rides/workouts not performed within the TR application, will the solution be within the closed loop of Trainer Road platform, or will a third party be required?

e.g. will TR users be able to upload a ride directly to TR from a headunit or will we need to go through Trainingpeaks, Garmin, Strava or some other intermediary to get non-TR rides into TR.

Apologies if already answered.

@SeanHurley

This procedure won’t change from how it currently works- you can sync TR with any of those other accounts, or manually upload the ride directly from your Head Unit.

1 Like

So I just checked out TrainNow and very excited about the potential - but have some questions - largely around how fast it converges if you have a recent “blank slate” on TR.

For background, have subscribed to TR for a few years, but stopped using it this winter in favor of Rouvy. I have been doing my own thing on Rouvy, mostly alternating between long SS efforts (20-90 mins) a lot of high Z2, and occasional 20-60 min race efforts. Largely building off some success I had with TR HV SSB2 outside last spring, but aiming for longer SS blocks without all the breaks found in the TR plans - loosely in the spirit of the very popular SS progression thread on here. This approach combined with some long-format Kolie Moore style FTP efforts has lifted pretty much my entire mid-to-long power curve this winter.

That being said, I was planning to get back to TR for a VO2 max block running in parallel with Rouvy as it’s been a while and for something like this, I think more structure would help. I was thinking I’d start general build MV - but then saw the adaptive training release and Train Now which seems to be connected - so thought I’d check it out as an alternative.

TrainNow suggested a climbing workout of 5x3 mins at SS :thinking: :laughing: With no rides on the TR app recently, I’m guessing it’s just giving me what looks like 100% off the couch recommendations?

And if so, how fast will it converge to better suggestions if I do tougher rides linked to TR workout profiles? (e.g. instead of Grassy Ridge, jump into something like Bluebell or Mills that I know would be fine to complete but are clearly harder)

What I’m thinking is that with VO2 max, I’m pretty much blank slate other than knowing the starting point on TrainNow is WAY too easy. But if I used TrainNow to just focus on the “attacking” workouts, would it be reasonable to expect that TrainNow would quickly converge to give me a good personalized VO2 max progression if I complete them successfully?

And will TrainNow slow down the progression when you struggle or is that only under the adaptive training system?

I was also thinking I could probably start finding SS workouts on TR to match what I intend to do on Rouvy any given day to at least seed TR with some insight that yes, I can do more than 3 mins at SS - as long as it will converge fairly quickly, and start to give me longer customized progressions.

To be totally honest, I was planning to drop my multi-year subscription as I really couldn’t see much more to get out TR. But if the adaptive training is released soon enough, and lives up to anywhere near the hype, it will keep me around for sure, as I’m confident Rouvy workouts will not reach this level of sophistication anytime soon :slight_smile: In the meantime, curious if this use case proposal for TrainNow can reasonably be expected to help bridge the gap used to make a more personalized VO2max progression in particular.

For some reason i thought i heard in the podcast that Endurance & Tempo rides could be recommended under Endurance in TrainNow - is that correct or not?

The reason i ask is that i have done Polar Bear -3 twice in the last week per prescription or better, and it is still recommending it as the highest IF 2hr Endurance option (i.e. no Tempo options), and i am wondering where to next for a 2hr ride in that category.

I assume that Tempo is not included as it wouldn’t be called an “easy spin” if it was, so i expect i am imagining that it would be an option.

In the meantime, can I match structured outdoor workouts with a TR workout after the fact to have it count towards my progression?

Mac Beta user for years w/out issues, but have seen a few users have random issues. Worst case, you go back to non-beta. YMMV :man_shrugging:

1 Like

guys, I’ve updated my iOS on iPad and not seeing TrainNow.
question, does it only work if you on a plan, or will it also work, looking at what you’ve been doing outside of a plan.
G

To need to be on the beta app. Not the beta AT, just the beta app.

2 Likes

And you apply to get access the Beta app or how does that work?

Join the TrainerRoad Beta Program to Get the Newest Features - TrainerRoad

1 Like

TrainNow is currently available on desktop apps to all users, and will be on all mobile apps within just a few days.

9 Likes

Thanks @SeanHurley. The TrainNow feature is a really nice first step for the adaptive training roll-out. It makes sense that it looks back at where you are “coming from” to recommend workouts if you are looking to add or swap in a workout on a given day.

And thanks for starting a dedicated thread to this since its the only part of AdaptiveTraining accessible to all users.

No matter how many times I press “shuffle”, the only endurance workout I’m offered is Townsend-1. The climbing and attacking workouts change but not the endurance one. Looks like I’ve managed to break it…

3 Likes