Multiple triathlon plan builder problems

I can’t seem to find the original plan builder thread to see if these are common problems, so I’m listing them here in the hopes that someone can help. I’m using triathlon plans and have found these issues:

plan builder won’t allow editing of volumes or plans once plan is laid down
Plan volume and type changed after they are laid down
first week of new phase doesn’t reflect changes when bike/run/swim workouts are picked for different days than default
when plan is created with races already present, races are moved to different day on calendar
deleting a race doesn’t recalculate plan, just leaves a blank day

I’ve talked with support over the first issue and they confirm it’s a problem that being worked on. But the rest I have no idea. Support suggestion is to delete the plan and do it over again. I’ve done this 5 times now and find that the plans are changing to be different than what I’m selecting. Am I missing something? Can anyone else confirm these problems or a workaround? Is plan builder a full feature or early access? Thanks

@Geoff can you please take a look at this?

Sounds like you’ve run into a few bugs here - some have been fixed already and some we’re actively working on fixing! Unfortunately, tri events have had a few issues more than other disciplines due to their complexity.

1. Plan builder won’t allow editing of volumes or plans once plan is laid down
  2. Plan volume and type changed after they are laid down
  3. First week of new phase doesn’t reflect changes when bike/run/swim workouts are picked for different days than default

I think the first two are the same bug. While the dropdowns to edit block volume in an existing custom plan are visually “broken”, they actually do work. If you tried to make some changes but thought they didn’t work, this would lead to the second issue.

We have a fix in testing for all three of these that we were hoping to get out on Friday, but ran into some problems with it. Hopefully we’ll be able to get it out early next week. :slight_smile:

1. When plan is created with races already present, races are moved to different day on calendar

We fixed this one a couple of days ago, it shouldn’t happen any more.

1. Deleting a race doesn’t recalculate plan, just leaves a blank day

We have an open issue for this one. Currently, making changes to existing events - including deleting them - does not recalculate a plan, only adding a new event prompts you to recalculate. We have plans to change this.

I know that our support team suggested you delete and re-add your custom plan, and I would suggest the same right now if you’re wanting to make various changes to your blocks after creating the plan. If you make your desired block and day changes on the “Schedule” page of Plan Builder, before adding the plan to your calendar, things should stick.

The issue with your tri events getting moved after being imported should be resolved now, so hopefully that will alleviate some frustration there. We’re diligently working on resolving the rest of these as quickly as we can! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello again!

I just wanted to let you know that we put out a fix for various bugs around block adjustment yesterday afternoon. If you want to give things another shot, assuming you don’t already have a custom plan that you’re happy with after my last response, now would be a great time to see if those bugs you reported have been addressed! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I deleted my old plan and created a new one. The positives are race dates aren’t being moved anymore. Problems conntinue to exist- Plan picked isn’t what’s laid down. Then going into the calendar doesn’t allow for editing of plan type from half to oly distances. Can’t seem to switch plans from within calendar either from tri to anything biking. Doubling of non bike workouts occuring on first week of new phase. I see potential in plan builder, but right now it’s just more work.

Thanks for the update!

1. Plan picked isn’t what’s laid down. - This would be a major problem, and isn’t something that we’ve heard of happening before. Would you be able to shoot me a private message and provide some specifics as well as your username and I can take a look? :slight_smile:
    I’m thinking that what could be happening here is a bug that we’re aware of where the plan is getting applied correctly but some of the block annotations will open and edit details for the incorrect block (e.g. the “Base 2” annotation might open your “Build 1” block for editing). A fix is being tested for this as we speak. EDIT: The fix has been released.
    If you select the starting annotation for your custom plan, you will see a link in there that says View original plan overview, you should be able to verify there that the plan is what you expected.
  2. Going into the calendar doesn’t allow for editing of plan type from half to oly distances - Since your plan is customized for a specific event, you won’t be able to change the blocks to something that doesn’t match that event. If you add an Olympic distance event instead of a half distance event when creating your custom plan, you will be given the appropriate blocks for that.
  3. Can’t seem to switch plans from within calendar either from tri to anything biking - we don’t offer any cycling specific training plans, unfortunately.
  4. Doubling of non bike workouts occuring on first week of new phase - This is another one that we haven’t had reported elsewhere. As above, I’d love to take a look if you’re able to send me that message.

Plan Builder may not have some of the features that you’re expecting or requesting, but we do take all feedback into account and certainly want to verify and get on top of any bugs. Beyond that, we plan to continue improving what we think is an awesome tool that removes a lot of the work for many of our athletes - hopefully it will get there for you too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A couple further notes on triathlon functionality for PMs and developers for for future reference:

1. The option to hide or disable runs and/or swims from the calendar if you’d only like to follow the rides
  2. The ability to import runs and swims from Strava, so that I don’t have to continue to use Strava as my default calendar
  3. For people following the plan as spec, the ability to check off swims and runs as completed to match the UI/UX of the bike workouts
  4. The ability to add running races to the calendar (I added a marathon onto my calendar as a 3 hour run and 0 min swim/bike, but it’s categorized as B race because I have a triathlon as an A Race, and it put’s me into a super big build week right after the race.)
  5. I’d like to be able to schedule recovery weeks after B Races
  6. This might be an edge-case feature, but I find I perform best off of a 3 week build, 1 week taper. If I could denote my preference for build length while setting up plan builder that might be interesting
  7. Adjusting plan builder or races isn’t super clear or intuitive UI/UX wise. I’d like a big button under training plans to “Edit Current Plan”
  8. Another small feature, but two separate FTPs for different bikes (TT position vs road bike). Can either be two ramp tests, or just a base 10% FTP cut

I’d say the first four of these are applicable to most people, and are priority over the last four.

Thanks for the feedback! We plan to implement quite a few of these requests. :slight_smile:

As a note, you can currently do #3 - if you select the run or swim on your Calendar to open the details window, and the activity is scheduled for “today” or any time in the past, you can check the box that says “This workout has been completed” and the activity on your Calendar will then say “Planned” and have a green check mark.

I’ll start by saying I’m a big fan of the product overall and PlanBuilder is off to a great start. That said there are a few shortcomings for triathletes and I wanted to second a couple items highlighted by @kahlil and add another.

1. I’ve recently run a couple of road races that I’ve added into the plan as triathlons with no swim or bike distance. This is common for triathletes so having running races under events would be a welcome addition!

2. Like Kahlil eluded to, these running events can be quite taxing and it would be nice if there were a way to weigh them a little heavier. I ran a half marathon all out yesterday and PlanBuilder has me doing VO2max efforts (Mills) on the bike tomorrow and increasing TSS overall this week including anaerobic run efforts. I recognize it is currently built primarily cyclists that do many B/C events in a season which don’t take quite the same toll on the body as running (… not all TSS is created equal as the guys on the pod always say).

3. Similar to point 2. When multiple events are scheduled sometimes the recovery from a previous event is neglected. My A event is a half ironman and I have a B event 3 weeks later. Because of the B event PlanBuilder has me jumping right back into a plan with swimming speed intervals the day after the half ironman and Haku (anaerobic intervals) the day after that. This could be solved by adding a window (e.g. ~3 days for Olympic distance, 4-5+ days for half iron) after a triathlon or running event where plan builder doesn’t’ schedule any high TSS workouts or efforts above sweet spot.

I’ve gained enough knowledge and experience to sub out workouts for minus versions or recovery efforts as needed and I recognize that recovery needs are highly personal but I think it would be nice to have some of the recovery process following stressful events automated in because there are general rules that apply across the board (e.g no speed work the day or two after a half ironman)

Cheers and thanks again for a great product.

1 Like