More difficult workout, same level: Wright Peak vs Three Fools

There are four near-identical 3x30min sweetspot workouts that differ only by intensity (% FTP) of intervals:

• Three Fools -2: 88% / 88% / 88%; workout level 7.9
  • Three Fools -1: 90% / 90% / 90%; workout level 9.2
  • Three Fools: 92% / 92% / 92%; workout level 10.0
  • Wright Peak: 90% / 92% / 90%; workout level 10.0
    I find it a bit weird that:
  1. “Three Fools” and “Wright Peak” have the same workout level. Actually, in terms of difficulty “Wright Peak” is closer to “Three Fools -1”.
  2. Differences:
  • between “TF -2” and “TF -1” are 2% FTP and 1.3 workout level,
  • between “TF -1” and “TF” are 2% FTP and only 0.8 workout level.
    Perhaps “Three Fools” should have a higher workout level? There are workouts with higher levels than 10.0, so it seems there is no level cap.
2 Likes

yes, there are still all sorts of weird scores like that Hesperus with the tempo score of 11.6 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really do not see why anybody could get hung up about such a minor matter.
Overall it seems that some users are more focussed in minor increases in PL levels rather than the overall concept of getting faster.
I know one leads to the other but personally I am quite happy to trust the process, there may be a few anomalies along the way but that doesn’t detract from the big picture.

2 Likes

What do the recoveries look like between them?

1 Like

I haven’t ridden TR much since the levels were out in place (been outside), but I have to agree with John’s point above. TBH, I’m not concerned in the slightest about my Progression Levels.

Now, that said, as I am just now getting back on a plan (TBMV), I’ll see if my attitude changes. But for now, my approach remains the same…select a plan, trust the process, do the work, see improvement. Any minor blips along the way are just kinda background noise, IMO.

2 Likes