Mid season break

So far it’s going great - I haven’t done any big fun outdoor rides due to my schedule and the weather - but it’s been really nice to not think about workouts or have any stress about hitting upcoming intervals

Legs coming around too, should be all set to dive back in on Tuesday but will see how things go in another few days and give a final verdict

2 Likes

that’s awesome! all the best!

I called a mid season break this morning. After having a hard time being recovered enough for scheduled workouts, and feeling tired all the time, I need a rest. Gonna take the next week off of any real training and then ramp back up for my July block of racing. The races on the 14th and the 21st are key events for me.

-Hugh
my blog: ex-prosays.blogspot.com

2 Likes

What you’ve done looks pretty good to be honest and you should still be sharp going forward.

Good luck for those races!

I’m in a slightly similar position, rode my A race a few weeks ago which was a qualifier for an AAA race. Initially thought I didn’t qualify but I did, so I have 2 weeks before I start the specialty stage again and I’m just riding albeit at a fair intensity on short rides.
Result, I’m smashing all my PRs on Strava and not really trying that hard

3 Likes

Thanks! The results are coming. Hopefully I can finish it off strong!

And good luck to you!
-Hugh

Nice! That’s gotta feel good!
-H

Just finished the last of these and honestly feeling pretty good about the reduction in volume while still having the intensity.

No clue how it will end up impacting my upcoming races, but it was really nice to get some intensity in this week while still spending comparatively little time on the bike. I’m hoping I haven’t lost a ton of fitness (got through 125% intervals today at the same FTP I used previously) and I’m feeling ready to dive back into things in another couple of days.

Also have a blood test coming up on Tuesday before the training increases so I’m curious what I’ve done to my (problematic) hormone levels with this - if I’ve seen a bump there and haven’t lost too much fitness I’ll be introducing something like this more frequently next season

1 Like

Please keep us posted. I don’t believe you’ll lose much fitness due to keeping the intensity, and I think in the near term any loss of fitness will be overshadowed by added freshness. Good luck!

1 Like

It’s hard to know for sure without knowing the sessions + previous training load, but I doubt you’ve lost any fitness as it was only a couple of weeks.

How did you all get on? I’m calling a break after this week for two weeks - failing workouts left, right and centre at the moment and that’s after not failing one for over 6 months. Feels mental more than physical so I’m going to take a week off, then ease back into it and the start again at base phase.

1 Like

I have a :100: mile MTB with 10,000 ft of elevation in 11 days. Post that I will take my annual week off before a rebuild and Specialty finishing off the race season in October.