Make SIS BETA fuel yourself just a few pence per bottle

Good question. I dont know what the other 50% is…

I have also this isotonic powder, i like to mix it with 40gram maltodextrine, but i dont know how much fructose is in the isotonic drink: image

When i use 1 scoop i have 31gram carbs + 48 gram maltodextrine = 79 gram carbs and electrolyte. The isotonic mix is not expensive with 10 euro for 1kg.

My question is: How can i get with this isotonic mix and maltodextrine a fructose:maltodextrine 1:2 if i dont have the exact fructose and maltodextrine ratio? Or is that not so important with 79grams in total?
When it’s not very hot i do about 1.5hours with 500ml bidon and use bars/gels.

Yeah that’s kinda the tough part with some premade mixes. You don’t know the ratio of sugars unless they tell you. You could try reaching out and asking though.

Isotonic is less important than getting in the carbs.

I believe lots of the current thinking is closer to a 1:1 might be optimal.

For example I usually do ~1:1 of Sis mix (all fructose) and maltopowder and usually get ~120g of carbs in a 1L bottle. If it’s going to be a long, hard ride then I might add a couple tablespoons of sugar to get more like 140g. I’m also eating banana, fig bars, sis gels, and some other things so who knows what the overall sugar ratios are but I haven’t had much issues with it. I at 2500kcal on a 5.5-6 hour ride last weekend and didn’t have any issues.

1 Like

Ok, so if i understand it correctly and i use 1 scoop of isotonic powder mix (31 gram carbs) and the rest with maltodextrine (around 48gram) and i do around 1.5h with 500ml bidon iam good to go? i have allready used this and dont get issues. In the same hour i eat also a carbs bar or gel (bar 40gram and gel 32gram). The isotonic mix have electrolytes.

When i doing 1.5h with 500ml bidon that is: 79/1.5=52 gram per hour + bar a 40gram = 92gram carbs or gel a 32 gram = 84gram per hour. Is that a good way to plan my nutrition plan for a granfondo?

Yeah that sounds like a pretty good plan. I know @Dr_Alex_Harrison had a chart that had some suggested carb intake rates for different length events. As you go longer you should be aiming to take in more per hour. Since you will never be taking in as much as you burn you need to eat more for longer events so that the gap doesn’t grow larger and larger. It takes a bit of experimentation to see what you can handle but it seems like you are on the right track

Thnx again.

I understand that i need more carbs p/h for a 175km and 3500hm Granfondo. My goal is 6 hours.

I will try more carbs. But when i do every hour 52gram from drinks and 40+32 carbs from bar and gel i got 124gram p/h. Thats to much i think?

The last 3 hours i will get 2 gels per hour, because of the fatique i think i can better use gels the last hours.

Honestly, I don’t think there is a ‘Too much’. As long as you don’t suffer any gut distress and you are also taking in enough water then 120 is great if you can handle it.

One thing to keep in mind is that if that bar has fat and/or protein in it then that can slow some carb absorption. But for some people, me included on long rides, the bars and real food can settle your stomach and reduce that sugar fatigue so they can be a good addition if they don’t affect your gut.

2 Likes

Thnx. I will test before this plan.

I have good experience with powerbars. Used it before in granfondo’s, but that time i had less carbs in the bidons.

Powerbars had 2gram fat and 6 gram protein in it.

1 Like

Thnx! So one scoop is 11gram fructose? Good to know. Now i can calculate extra fructose to get 2:1

Yes exactly.

So i think i will count 11g for fructose i need to get 90g in 2:1 ratio:

For the iso mix 1 scoop: 11 gram fructose and 20g maltodextrine.
40g extra maltodextrine is 60g maltodextrine in total and 19g. extra fructose makes 30g. Salt: 0.69g.

I’ve used a simple cheat sheet for mixing my own.

Fuel Mix
Notes: 3tsp = 1 tbsp
Dextrose:
1 Tsp = 3g carbs
1 Tbsp = 9g carbs
6tbsp = 54g carbs

Fructose:
1 Tsp = 4g carbs
1 tbsp = 12g carbs

Mix: 21 oz bottle
MD - 6 tbsp + 2 tsp = 60g carbs
FR – 2 tbsp + 1 tsp = 28g carbs
Total 88g carbs
plus one scoop of BCAA’s in each bottle.

For hydration, I mix 32 oz of water with one packet of [LMNT electrolytes](https://drinklmnt.com/products/lmnt-recharge-electrolyte-drink.
I’ll pour 16 oz of electrolyte in each bottle and fill the remainder of the bottle with water.

That gives me 88g of carbs, 500mg of sodium, 100mg of potassium, 30mg of potassium, and 6g of BCCA’s in each bottle. Plus if the race is longer, I’ll make it a bit stronger or carry SIS isotonic gels.

1 Like

I have been using Bulk powders etc to buy the ingredients as helpfully laid out above for a few cycles, and it’s been a gamechanger (SIS beta fuel retails for >$3 a serving here in the UK).

However, I am really struggling this time around to find cheap fructose. Yes, it’s available from some health food shops on Amazon and elsewhere, but it’s getting close to not worth taking this DIY approach.

What should I consider at this stage - all maltodextrin, or just try and find a deal on something similar and if so, what’s a cheaper pre-mixed version that I can buy in the UK?

1 Like

£22 @ 5kg - https://www.naturitas.co.uk/p/food/sweeteners-and-honey/sugar-substitutes/fructose-1-kg-int-salim
£27 @ 10kg - https://www.amazon.co.uk/BULK-POWDERS-Maltodextrin-Complex-Carbohydrate/dp/B00SP2ZTU6
£6 @ 0.1kg - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SP31TCW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works out at £55 for 15kg - 31p per 84g serving compared to £2.50 per sachet!

Holland and Barrett have it at £2 per 500gm. I just pick a few boxes up when Im in town :+1:

80g of sugar + 1 tsp salt = good to go ?

Per hour, fluid as required

Joe

1 part maltodextrin, 1 part ordinary sugar (caster is best because it’s fine grained and therefore dissolves easier) = as near as damn it a 2:1 malto:fructo ratio. If you want a near as damn it 1:1 malto:fructo ratio, use sugar on its own. Add flavour drops and electrolyte mix as required.

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

What about adding BCAA to the mix?

And that helped Dr. Harrison!
I am racing mtb marathons for 7 years and first time this spring took a step back and take look at my nutrition. I am strong but always fade in the last 2 hours. Bonking is a common element in my racing.
I was taking 5-6 gels with me and also carbo drinks from feed stations. Basically random mix of a sponsors powder.
I graduated to taking a lot more gels and only water from feed stations. That was costly and a logistical nightmare.
Improved but not fixed.
In my research I frequently came across these dogmas.
When I saw tour posts my reaction was get the hell outa here. But then I realized you have a real point and proof too. I dig deep into all the content and…

1. Can’t believe it is free
  2. It works

Now I have been cooking my own good stuff since May and got very very good outcome. No bonking, hammering after 5 hours, constantly moving up places. I would be thinking of food in the last hour and attack the feed zone at the finish. Now I just ignore it and wash my bike.

And caffeine was a big problem too. I love my coffee and was having some before the race. It messed up my stomach and gave me a dip during the race. Now I get my first caffeine high of the day during the race.
Formula is simple:
Per hour of racing
70gr malto + 50gr fructose
1200mg sodium from sodium citrate
125mg caffeine

And take water from stations.

Thanks Dr.

6 Likes

I think I had that “get the hell outta here reaction” from a lot of folks at first. Marketing & relationship are sometimes weaknesses of mine. Spewing numbers and evidence are stronger natural tendencies. :wink:

I’m glad you’ve found the calculations useful!

3 Likes