Make SIS BETA fuel yourself just a few pence per bottle

My understanding was that certain foods, when they were digested in the gut, they turn either acid or alkaline. Sugar I was led to believe turns the gut acidic and creates a less favourable pH for gut flora and our microbiomes. Equally, some acidic foods such as lime/lemon juice actually turns alkaline in the gut. I can’t quote any science on this…

following here.

Unfortunately, they’ve stopped selling it. I emailed them and they confirmed this. You can still buy Bulk Powders’ fructose on Amazon (selling remaining stock I guess).

Here’s an Amazon deal on an Electrolyte powder. I’ve never used this one before…just doing some shopping.

Kind of a pity it includes sodium and potassium - they’re thing you want non-trace amounts of, but are cheap on their own (as eg, lite-salt). Flavoring and carbs make of most of the rest. Also I’m amused to see the price double (from $16.99) when you posted to almost $35 :woozy_face:

1 Like

You got a link for this mate?

It’s over £8 now apparently, but still cheap! I’ve been using 65g and it mixes well in a 750ml bottle with a good shake

Sorry pal, I meant the flavouring :stuck_out_tongue:

Lucozade sport is one of my fave things haha. I found plain Malto in water was tasteless but had a texture that I felt unpalatable, almost silky!?

Added some fruit squash which makes it drinkable. Always looking to improve though!

Ah! Jucee is just one of those cheap cordials you can get in most small shops all over the place, been around for decades

Does anyone have an equivalent list of ingredients they use but that are easy to buy in the UK. For example, that Gatorade powder is not easy to find!

My ingredient list is above. Not sure about availability in the UK but it’s fairly generic.

Do you use DE18, DE12 or DE6 Malto?

Edit: according to the Q&A on Amazon it’s 11-12.

Which leads me to a question. Do we rather want DE6 or DE18 or something in between?

Good question, not sure. According to Wikipedia, “ Maltodextrins are classified by DE (dextrose equivalent) and have a DE between 3 and 20. The higher the DE value, the shorter the glucose chains, the higher the sweetness, the higher the solubility, and the lower heat resistance.

I would think that shorter chains can be digested more easily and quicker, resulting in quicker energy absorption. But just by guess. DE11-12 is right in the middle and has been working well for me for the last month or so.

That’s also what I thought. Though what made me think was the influence on blood sugar levels. In other words, rather have a fast big hit or a more subtle sustained delivery. For what it’s worth, I also went with 12.

However, I am by no means an expert. Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable folks can help us out?!

I end up sipping the mix every 5-10 minutes anyway, depending on the interval lengths, so I end up with a steady level of intake and blood sugar level regardless.

3 Likes

I’ve been making the suggested DIY mix using Bulk Powders but its a bit fiddly having to dissolve in warm water the night before, and I’ve never found a cheap but successful method of getting an acceptable flavour.

Wouldn’t this stuff from High5 do the same thing for roughly the same price (I know I like their berry flavouring)?

(HIGH5 Energy Drink Powder (2.2kg) | Powdered Drinks | Wiggle)

1 Like

I find maltodextrin mixes ok - here’s what I do:

Start with water in the bottom of the bottle (less likely to stick). Chuck malto on top, fill the bottle halfway, put on the lid tight and shake hard. If there are any bits floating around, either shake again or if you have time, leave it to melt by itself.

Hot water makes it very quick and easy, and not unpleasant when it’s as cold as my garage is in January. No need to make it the night before - you don’t need a lot of hot water to dissolve malto - after shaking up, top up with cold water and shake again.

FWIW, I add Sainsbury’s lime squash for flavour - takes nice.

1 Like

Unless my maths is way out (entirely possible) the High5 linked above works out the same price as DIY once you factor in electrolyte and flavouring, but is easier to use. Am I missing something?

1 Like

Yes, it appears that at the discounted price of $24(USD) for 2.2kg the average price per 100g bottle is $1.10(USD). Similarly, I was able to find SiS Beta Fuel on sale a few months ago for about $1(USD) per packet (serving) so I bought some.

At the list price of $40(USD) the High5 is more expensive than the homebrews above, though. Also, at least for my recipe, I’m using Nuun tabs and they’re almost 40% of the total cost. Using a much less expensive electrolyte and flavoring can get the price per bottle well below $1(USD). Great find on the High5, though!

1 Like

That was my problem. I tried various flavourings without success and ended up using half a High5 tab, which increased the unit price significantly (Nuun are my favourite but too expensive for everyday use!)