Low Volume Training, Racing as a Solo Rider, Hydration and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 241

Maybe in the minority but have these become too focused on racing and less about the training?
Still love watching/listening in but have never, nor plan to, race so as I say I will no doubt be in the minority but I love when Chad will deep dive into an area of training or effect of something rather than team tactics etc.
Thanks for the hundreds of hours of entertainment thus far, and as I say not a gripe or a moan but thought it worth mentioning.

1 Like

Yeah I’d be down for a get together.

Great! WE’re gonna cruise over March/April to look at the course.

1 Like

I don’t really ride road but if we just went for a chill ride to scope the course out I could do that. I ride mountain bikes 99% of the time I’m outside.

Yea Bruh! A chill ride to see the Course, Nothing serious just recon.

1 Like

So, what is this secret race you guys are doing? I actually love the race stories (in addition to all the training tips). I also really like your race build-up discussions, such as Cape Epic and DK200, etc.

1 Like

@Nate_Pearson - this! What’s the event your keeping on the downlow?

1 Like

Interesting to know that Chad and Nate will be at masters nats this year. I’m in Virginia but really want to compete at masters this year but I need to train and race and see how things go.
Anyone else considering nationals?

1 Like

It’s on the down low!!

I think others have already figured it out.

4 Likes

Understood, got there in the end.

Just got a chance to listen the 241…I (and my team mates) will be at master nationals in Cedar City this August. Our team has guys racing 45+, 50+, 55+, 60+ and 65+…some focusing on the ITT, some on the RR and others the criterium. Criterium is my priority but, hope to cross paths with Coach Chad.

Yeah, Apple Podcast is not updating with the full episode. I tried deleting the download and refreshing the feed, but it is still stuck at 1hr 11.

FYI @tucker

1 Like

We seem to be hearing an increase of this sort of feedback with the Apple Podcasts app, with some people reporting the issue going away, and for some it persists.

There’s no way for us to differentiate between Apple Podcasts and every other podcast app other than Spotify and Stitcher, so we’ll reach out to Apple to see if they can share any insight / fix the issue.

Thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes

It was 1:10 when downloaded through Google Play as well. Was still short when I re-downloaded it just now.

AJ

Edit:. It was 1:10 when downloaded using Google Music. I switched to Google Podcasts (different app) and it came across at full length.

Podcast was cut short on Spotify (uk) when I streamed last night.

I enjoy the podcasts, but this one in particular. I am a randonneur and the kind of riding we do isn’t really covered by anything in TrainerRoad. It doesn’t really matter. I just go with Gran Fondo and train. I’m not expecting any of the programs to be geared towards randonneuring.

But this Dirty Kanza gets close. We can have gravel stretches, but it isn’t mandatory. Once you get over 300 km, approx 360 km for Dirty Kanza, things start happening that really don’t have much to do with the gravel, but you can at least blame it on the gravel :slight_smile:

Back pains, numbing fingers, cramps, trips down into a very deep and dark cellar that you have to figure out how to pull yourself up from, riding alone, riding together, not worried much about a 2 hour difference, can be made up …

Best advice … eat. Next best advice … slow speed is faster than no speed. Make those pit-stops short.

1 Like

Time for me to find a new podcast app. Apple Podcasts has been terrible for a while now. :+1:

100% on the short (but not rushed stops). I took two long breaks at DK last year because of my back. My riding time was 14 hours 30 min and total time was 16 hours and 15 min. The thing is my back didn’t feel any better after resting for 30/45 minutes. I just had to push through it. A 5 min stop would have been the same!

1 Like

I’ll be at Cedar. I’ll be by in June to possibly recon.

1 Like

Hey Rusty;

Is it true that part of the course is gravel/dirt? Just saw that part of podcast 248 today.

Planning on getting to Cedar City the end of March.

John