Light group set or light frame

Was looking at new bike for 2022 and noticed Cube SLT C62. It has durace di 12 speed for a good price to give a 7.3 kgs bike weight. In their video they mention the frame is 1000 to 1100 grams so not that light. Is this an example of achieving a reasonable overall weight by using a light groupset but a not soo light frame ? I see some light weight framed bikes costing alot more and weighing more and they use a heavier group set .
The ultegra is 300 grams more than durace. A frame 300 grams lighter would cost thousands more ?

Light frame. You can always upgrade your groupset later but you’ll be stuck with your frame.

3 Likes

Definitely lighter frame > lighter group.
Also, look into where the weight differences between Dura Ace and Ultegra
For SRAM, quite a lot of it is in the cassette and the cranks, while most of the price is in the derailleurs.

1 Like

Lighter frame 100%. Many manufacturers will also use a combination of parts from different groupsets to make bikes seem better specced too. Biggest sucker is the rear mech - often the first thing people look at, but often the least likely to be weight saving. As above, lots of weight to be saved with cranks and cassette.

Aero frame…

2 Likes

Light frame. Think of it like the foundations of a house. It’s there to stay so might as well do it right

It depends on why the frame is heavier. If it’s heavier due to a more aero design focus, then I’d take the heavier aero frame for sure. If they are aero neural, well then I guess it comes down to your tolerance to grams per dollar.

3 Likes

Aero frame…

I’d say something like this. From my perspective, if the bike rides how you want it to, then I’d argue that weight is overrated. It is true that often, people feel that lighter frames ride better, and that is worth something. The thing is, as alluded to in the original post, the price differential between the tier 1 and tier 2 bikes and tier 1 and 2 groupsets is a lot of money. You’re paying a lot of money for what may be mostly a placebo effect. We know that weight differentials make very little difference in objective cycling performance relative to rolling resistance or aerodynamic gains.

Basically, if the Cube Agree rides like how you want it to ride and it’s got the non-weight characteristics that you’re looking for, then I’d argue for not worrying about weight at all, and go upgrade something else on the bike. Or in your life off the bike.

1 Like

Don’t really have an issue with manufacturers doing this though. They’re only mixing and matching to meet a particular price point for customers who can’t afford a bike that’s fully specced at a particular level (the fact that the price point for a fully specced bike on any particular groupset seems to have practically doubled in the last 6-7 years is a separate conversation!). So they’ve got to make decisions on which parts to downgrade. Downgrading the cassette or crankset adds weight but likely has no discernible impact on functionality or longevity. Downgrading derailleurs, shifters or brakes doesn’t add much weight but could well impact shift quality, braking quality or longevity. All things being equal I think I’d rather have a bike that functions as well as possible for the price than one which is as light as possible for the price. Especially on the cassette which is going to need replacing at some point anyway so is an easy later upgrade. Whereas derailleurs and shifters tend to stay on my bikes pretty much forever unless they get broken in a crash.