Let's see your paincave!

I take it, the kids aren’t shooting hockey pucks in that space anymore. Dad put all his bikes there!

I run TrainerRoad app on my MacBook pro and I have an AppleTV that I can run Netflix, Youtube, music but mostly FloBikes on a 42" TV. I also have some bookshelf speakers connected to a cheap little bluetooth amp so I can connect the AppleTV to it for audio (music or whatever) or if I need to keep things quiet my bluetooth headphones can also connect to the AppleTV.

The dangers of tidying up.

Oops.

4 Likes

:sweat_smile:

Moving the fans out of the way for a lifting session. The fans attached to the same extension as the TV. :person_facepalming:t2:

Basically a bunch of half assed things worked fine with just me in the paincave, with my son trying out lifting and two of us in there…its a bit too tight. But balancing two toy boxes on the base of the cage, then the TV on top of that was always an, umm…lifetime limiting choice on the TV.

1 Like

I followed your build (congrats on the baby!) on Instagram, very well done man.

1 Like

As part of building a new home, wife and I put some time into thinking about what we wanted for workout space. While I planned out where each object would go, the basics came down to:

Space. Enough space so that two people could do their thing at same time and not crash into each other or have to relocated gear.

Ceiling height. We like having the gym in the basement and wanted ceilings compatible with full size cage and overhead lifts. The spouse also likes to jump rope.

Power outlets and lighting. Most homes don’t have enough of either in the basement. Extension cords and power strips get old. As above, we also added a couple 240v outlets just in case. Easy to do when building.

HVAC. We live in mid-atlantic and use the home gym daily. 2x per day if we count both people. Want it to be properly insulate, heated and cooled.

Natural light. Had option for larger windows and added them to make the space more inviting.

It is a few more bucks to do this stuff. But we plan to be in this home for a very long time. Since health and fitness is a priority made sense to do these things up front.

2 Likes

Ideally you would be able to control the pain cave HVAC independent of everything else. Going this route, you will want to ensure the cave can be isolated from other air circulation so not to mess things up

2 Likes

An excellent point and my experience is sometimes simple solutions work really well - the vents into my pain cave can be manually closed. I shut them in the winter to keep the room cooler than the rest of the house. Not quite as precise as an independent HVAC but gets me 80% of where I want to be for the price of vent covers.

1 Like

Had an offer accepted yesterday, so this just got real, real fast!

The dedicated room for me will be over the garage, which I’m thrilled about.

Currently, it has carpet. Happy to tear it up and put in some luxury vinyl plank, then maybe some rubber mats over that? I’ve certainly trained indoors before, but curious what people are doing in their in-home, non-concrete rooms. It’s a very new house so I’m the subfloor should be in good shape. I’d feel a bit silly putting in plank just to cover up parts of it with rubber, but I also don’t want to just destroy the carpet either.

My trainer is set up in a basement bedroom (we didn’t need it as a bedroom at the moment), and it’s carpeted. I just have a thin rubber mat under the trainer for sweat, etc. and the carpet seems to be holding up just fine with that, though it’s only been about 7 months since we moved in. I don’t think you have to worry too much about ruining the carpet unless you plan on doing a bunch of lifting in the space as well and getting a barbell and/or rack, etc.

1 Like

I covered the entire room with these to protect the carpet:

https://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-Exercise-Interlocking-Gymnastics-Protective/dp/B074J6Y2JL

Then put a Kickr mat (ie. yoga mat) directly under the trainer to collect sweat. The other mats have too many connection points and I feared sweat would seep through creating a mess underneath that would never dry.

1 Like

How has the Wahoo mat on top of the interlocking mats done with keeping sweat off of the carpet? I’m moving later this summer and may need to setup over carpet.

Works great. Just make sure after the workout to wipe up any sweat with a towel.

2 Likes

Good thinking. I had the same thought about the interlocking pads; the pads + mat sounds like a great move.

1 Like

You can also get thick plastic sheeting at fabric stores for freakin cheap. I see one for years.

My spare room, now reconfigured for optimal Wattbike / TR use.

Pleased with how it’s come together. Need to invest in a small-ish flat screen tv for the wall so I can watch some YouTube etc on easier rides or put the full-screen TR graphic up for harder sessions.

17 Likes

Happy to share this “paincave” with you. It’s a temporary use of space rather than my real paincave

39 Likes

That’s just not fair … :joy:

6 Likes

Humble place of mine. PC is over the left side window and connected with 10m HDMI cable. ANT+ dongle and Bluetooth dongle are both with PC. Sensors and keyboard/mouse work fine even though glass window is blocking them. 100W blower fan(remote control available) is placed under the desk and it’s fantastic. Better than circulator fan because it blows wind much wider range over my torso.

6 Likes

I bet you are!

There is nothing in that photo that communicates the notion of pain or cave :sob:

9 Likes