Let‘s talk dogs

I own 2 karst shepherds and they are the only breeds for me ( 🐶 Karst Shepherd – Dog Breed Information, Pictures, Care, History | Fello.pet) :wink: Gentle as lambs, can take them anywhere, even on the bus. But they need to be socialized and taught to obey which doesn’t make them suitable for your average owner

My wife and I were looking for a dog a few years ago, who is alert and brave, able to identify intruders.
We were looking at Dobermann pincher, Rodweiler and GSD early on, but decided against that for a few reasons. Health concerns of large dog breeds was one and also, they are rated as „potentially dangerous“ breeds in Germany, adding a few more complications.
Also, we had a few concerns regarding the many „intruders“ that our land has on a daily basis (my grandmother, who cares for my garden, although I told her not to, and my small nieces, who drop by without ever notifying in advance).

So we started looking at smaller dog breeds, and ultimately decided to get an Australian Shepherd,
as the breed profile was very similar to what we were looking for.

Now we have him for 3 years. He loves everyone, foe or friend, he is extremely easily scared, only ever barks at other dogs and my heating pump going on, and would not defend any thing against anyone (only his food against my parents jack Russell).
Is he what we were looking for? No.
Is he the perfect dog? - Yes (besides his fear of bicycles, that I take personal).
Some of his litter mates are apparently very stand-offish and brave.
Moral of the Story:if you buy a puppy, you will likely not get exactly what you were looking for… which might not even be a bad thing.

2 Likes

I’ve had a lot of experience with dobermans, we had two sisters we adopted and they were very sweet dogs and my wife’s family had dobermans as well and dangerous is the last word I’d use to describe them! It’s unfortunate they get stereotyped as such

When I was a teenager many moons ago some friends of our had this lovely copper colored thing. Big floppy ears and a tail that whacked off everything. She was a lolloping barrel of goofyiness and giggles. I never thought to ask her breed at all. After a few years it came up in conversation; she was a Doberman, because of her off breed coloration she never had the ears or tail docked and the breeder gave her away as a puppy. I was a wee bit gobsmacked to say the least as I had spent most of my late childhood scared sh!7less of dogs after getting mauled. She was only the second dog I could manage being around after a big 'ol Irish Wolfie managed to do the confrontation cure thing on me a year or two earlier: A new friend in my new school invited me back to his place. He never told me he had a dog! The word dog does not really do justice to one of those guys. Anyway I was stuck between his mother and older brother on a bench seat at dinner when the dog wandered in.

He took a sniff… “Ah fresh meat” thinks he, and ambles over. Picture the biggest panic you ever had in your life and factor it up by 10… The only reason I wasn’t out the window and haring off into the distance was social convention.

This hulking grey monster disappears under the table. There is a massive weight in my lap. I can’t look. The vision of those jaws centimeters from my junk. I feel a godawful wettness on my legs… Oh Christ I’ve pissed myself!.

“Oh just pet him and he’ll piss off”…

I come out of the fug I am in, I look at my buddy then down at what is basically my Grandpa’s face. I haven’t pissed myself; he’s just slobbered all over me.

I loved that dog… We had to take him for a walk… with our bikes. When I asked why my friend gave me his lead and told me to run as fast as I could. In a flat out running sprint that dog didn’t even canter beside me. Our VO2 max workouts consisted of trying to get that beast up to a full run with 2 x 2 gait. One epic moment was where he cocked his leg to pee on a lamppost , missed and peed into the back of a car stopped at the traffic lights. He didn’t last long died of a heart attack, Most big dogs are not long lived.

The most dangerous thing about any domestic pet is their owner.
Doberman, Rodweilers, and especially pit bull types appeal to certain people who want their dog to be dangerous and probably seek after looking dangerous with the dog.
Often mistreatment and poor training of the dog lead to the dog being dangerous, not the breed itself.

2 Likes

Yesterday we had to say goodbye to our little girl :sob:

FB_IMG_1623150537543

6 Likes

:sob: :hugs:

1 Like

This is my German Pointer, he will run almost all day with me if if i have a stick, he is the most softest dog ever, great with the Grandchild. He is a rescue dog from Cyprus, that has not affected him other than he Loves humans a lot!! Good luck with a dog.

3 Likes

If you want a dog for the trails, you need a Viszla. Racing The World's Fastest Trail Dog | Joe & Jack Take on Ruby the Vizsla | BikeRadar Diaries Ep12 - YouTube

Perfect family dog too, they are almost human at times.

Commiserations… is there an opposite to a ‘like’ ?

1 Like

Our Golden Retriever gives us the sad face when we jump on the indoor trainer, knowing he is missing out on a trail run. He’ll still keep you company though and enjoys hard intervals that make sweaty and salty legs to lick at the end of the session. He much prefers hitting the forest trails with the family but always finds a puddle to cool down in. He has learned the tracks and knows what corners he can cut.

2 Likes

Condolences for the loss of your friend…

2 Likes

This is Mona, a rescue Podenco Andaluz from Spain. Currently a happy companion in her bed next to the turbo trainer, but - given how much she loves to run around the woods - hopefully a future trail dog when we eventually move back to South Wales and closer MTB trails! Sleeps 20 hours a day, but pretty sure she still has a higher VO2max than me…

9 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful girl. So hard to say goodbye to them.

2 Likes

Merlin.

6 Likes

Sophie.

6 Likes

I also a have a rescue podenco andaluz! I tried during first lockdown to get Benji to ride trails with me on me CX bike, but in typical pod fashion he only has two speeds - one for slowly mooching around and one for sprinting full speed after squirrels - and not much stamina so I gave up on that idea pretty quickly… I think he much prefers to nap whilst I head out by myself! I have also tried to go jogging with him but that’s also a no go, I end up pulling him along rather than the other way around :woman_facepalming: He is a fabulous little companion but definitely only does things on his own terms!

5 Likes

Three Dogs…Two shelties and one morky. We have had a few shelties. I have always found them to be bright. They appear to have a good grasp of language and a wider vocabulary then I would expect

quinn lulu

Quinn(foreground) and Lulu…brother and sister. Opposites in personality. Quinn is easy going. Likes to great everyone.
Lulu scared of everyone and every dog. As a blue merle she has the looks but definitely is fickle till she gets to know you. Quinn does anything for food. Follows me everywhere. Seems to be able tell time. I know they understand routine but it is sometimes scary …clock changes to 5pm and he is there. He sure appear to look at the digital clock and line up the numbers… Counts. Cant short change him on his food. At supper he gets 4 of these larger TD pieces…give him 3 and he is sitting waiting for the last one.

Lacey

Lacey. Given to us by an Aunt that shouldnt of bought the dog. Has been trained by Quinn . The two of them are a pair. Both with endless energy.

4 Likes

Only dog I’d bother having any more in the future is a rescue pit. Go the the shelter, pick one out, I’m good to cuddle for the next however many years it lives for.

Unfortunately, my lifestyle isn’t conducive to pet ownership anymore, so I refrain from it. I miss having a pup, but it’s irresponsible.

I still have a horse, but that’s slightly different, and he lives with my ex wife so I don’t do any of the work :joy:

1 Like

+1 vote for non- trail dogs… :joy:

2 Likes