Justin Williams & L39ION organize $100,000 Crit: Into The Lions Den powered by SRAM

It should be short. I plan on winning everything. Into the Lion’s den will become Welcome to the TerrorDome or is it TerraByte Dome? Hmm. Need to work on my marketing.

1 Like

Seems like if you are hosting, putting up the prize money and etc you shouldn’t be eligible to win. Your sponsors should take care of you.

1 Like

Prize money for the Cat5s would make for quite a spectacle, methinks.

It would probably be the most boring, tbh. Some top Ironman, triathalete, track racer, or whatever would enter… it likely would be a runaway.

The higher categories, the fitness levels seem to even out.

Disagree. It’s a bike race, how is L39ion suppose to rig that?

2 Likes

Never said they could. Just in poor taste in my opinion. I like watching them. Follow them. Not a fan of the marketing on this one. But no one asked me. Aforementioned, seeing I’m going to win everything not sure it matters.

1 Like

Is there a link for where it will be streamed?

I don’t believe it will be live streamed

Sigh. And this is why bike racing in America will always sort of be on a low simmer. We need coverage.

4 Likes

So…the race to save cycling in the US won’t be streamed? Lol. Maybe should have saved some of the prize money for cameras.

6 Likes

Ehh I was bummed too but after listening to some people talk about it it makes a bit more sense. A decent live stream costs at least 100k and ultimately would only be watched by people who are already in the sport.

You call it the

But the point of it isn’t to jump start the interests of those who are already involved in the racing scene. It’s to bring new people into the fold by showing them a new and ‘cool’ image of bike racing. Those people most likely wouldn’t watch a live stream even if they got it up on espn 2.

So I would be shocked if they weren’t putting a ton of resources into capturing content so that they can make a much more produced and exciting video after the race that will be used as both marketing and as a way to excite that younger and newer audience.

I mean, I doubt you could honestly say that if you showed a USA crits live stream to your non cycling cousin/niece/nephew/etc that they would be excited about bike racing.

5 Likes

I believe their goal behind this is to get people to the event, but yeah I’m not traveling from the east coast to sacramento for a bike race/media event

2 Likes

Halfway thru the amateur open race.

1 Like

Solo break with less than 20 minutes to go.

And that ended fast!

3 Likes

Must be a local thing. Even if it was streamed I don’t know how anyone who’s isn’t already a racing enthusiast would even know anything about it. I hope they have a decent turnout.

Crits can be fun in person but I find them terribly dull to watch online. Maybe if they had F1 production values…

I saw two streams. Legion had a twitch stream at start/finish with a few cameras and Justin was live streaming from his helmet.

Yeah, watching Cory (or Justin’s) helmet cam now. It’s dark, so pretty hard to see, but a neat idea. Looks like lots of people on the finishing stretch, but sort of empty everywhere else. Hard to tell. Legion train, so it looks like they’re going to win their own money back :joy:

Last minute on the calendar, announced 6 weeks ago. Not well advertised, I figure this was a dry run for next year.

1 Like

I hung out with some Wed night friends and we helped Kaia Schmid (18 yrs old, 2nd in Leuven worlds last month) before the womens pro race. She was happy we returned her warmup jersey after the race. Nice bike. Missed the mens pro race :smiling_face_with_tear: because of family obligations.

Just watched the helmet camera footage on YouTube. Have to admit to being pretty underwhelmed.

When you consider the talent in that field, the course itself seemed to offer very little in the way of a challenge. Yes, it was a fast race but all of the corners were ‘sweepers’ that you could pedal through and I’m not sure if there was anything close to a rise or lump.

I’ve watched enough US Crits to know that there are some brilliant, technical courses out there. Just wondering why this was chosen?

1 Like

The US road scene is on life support. The hoops and $ it takes to put on an event L39ion really should be praised. Maybe a 4 corner but, if you know the area the start finish on L street is pretty busy with shops/hotels/restaurants to the right and an awesome park to the left. Good spectating and atmosphere was and is probably a part of the equation as much as a “cool” course to challenge riders. At least L39ion is taking the lead and trying to make a difference. Not many can say the same here in the US. Anyone?

11 Likes