Is the Ramp Test right for VO2 Max constrained cyclists on sustained power plans?

I’m in the same boat in that I’m much better at SS and Threshold than V02max (and coincidentally started the other long thread on this same topic).

I’ve started using 2x20min for my FTP test (Gray). In some ways it is more of an FTP confirmation than true test as you need to have a pretty good sense of what you can do, as you could very easily set the power target too low or too high.

Although I am planning to do the Ramp Test soon in order just how big the discrepancy between my 2x20min and Ramp is.

1 Like

It is worth remembering that for TR purposes, the point of testing is to set appropriate intensity levels.

If you are doing a primarily sweet spot training block, then the 8 min test may well be appropriate. If you are doing a VO2Max block, then the ramp test may well give a more applicable intensity level for that training block.

1 Like

I’m not sure that there are many who would advocate changing FTP tést protocol based upon the training block. For a VO2max training block, I’d keep to the mins test and do the VO2max workouts at a lower %.

1 Like