Is garlic bread acceptable/healthy to eat?

Hi,

I eat a loaf of French bread every day. It is a loaf of garlic bread after all and according to the nutrition facts, 1/6 of the loaf(55g) has 8g of fats, 1.5g of saturated fats, 320mg of sodium, 25g of carbs, 5g of protein and some more vitamins. I eat 330g of the bread and the contents are wheat, rye, barley, milk, soy. I bake the bread at approximately 370ºF for 20 minutes before I consume it. Is it healthy?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

Oh and its ingredients: Enriched wheat flour, water, canola and modified palm and palm kernel oil margarine(milk, soy) , soybean and/ or canola oil, rye, flour, salt, yeast, garlic, calcium proportionate, potassium sobate, potato starch, malted barley flour, parsley, lactic acid, oregano, basil and citric acid

Depends how strict you want to be. I personally would avoid the margarine. Trans fats are no bueno.

1 Like

The key question is: how are you defining “healthy”? Bread can be a good source of calories, but it isn’t very nutrient dense per calorie.

Rough math says the 1 loaf is around 1,100 calories, so how does this fit into your overall diet?

I’d say no, it’s not very healthy. It’s low in micro-nutrients, high glycemic index, and it’s a lot of empty calories. It’s also highly processed - 6 types of low quality manufactured PUFA oils.

But maybe you are 21 years old and ride 20 hours a week and can easily burn off the extra calories? Eventually though, eating like that will catch up to you.

8 Likes

I’d say the fact that you eat the same loaf of bread each and every day is more unhealthy than the bread itself.

Have you ever considered some variety in your diet? :joy:

2 Likes

No, I don’t ride 20 hours a week but I am 19 years old. Yes, I eat the garlic bread almost every day(lol) but I as of now cannot really think of a variety, to be honest. I am open to ideas though.

My dinners are usually boiled potatoes and my breakfast is 2 loaves of whole-grain bread + 1 apple + 1 banana

So basically all you eat every day is a loaf of garlic bread, 2 loaves of multigrain, an apple, a banana, and a couple potatoes?

If so then the garlic bread is only a small piece of an fairly to very unhealthy puzzle.

3 Likes

That is right.

Is there a reason that’s all you eat? Budget? Picky eater? Habit?

I am a picky eater and I grew up that way. I find this one to be really satisfying and not feeling any negative effects as of now.

The tough thing is that you’re eating no greens and almost no vegetables. I don’t think there are many nutrition rules that everyone agrees on, but eating vegetables is pretty universally recognized as an important part of good nutrition.

1 Like

I would say unhealthy.
It is displacing healthy healthy foods. It is providing a wide range of vitamins and minerals that you get from a regular balanced diet.

Unhealthy. That diet offers some macronutrients but not in a particularly good ratio (low protein, very high carbs, average fat). In terms of micronutrients it looks on the face of it pretty poor.

Can I politely suggest you download an app like myfitnesspal and log that diet?

For sports people I believe the default settings are on the low side for protein as a macro, you can adjust that ratio upwards to hit 2g/kg though. Even if you don’t you’ll see straight off where your diet deviates from a general view of what is ‘right’ for a healthy person to eat (backed by science and with a number of assumptions behind it on calorie consumption, being otherwise healthy etc.)

Like most things, it’s fine to eat now and then, but maybe not all the time. How about having a green salad (like, lettuce and tomatos and stuff) with it?

1 Like
3 Likes

Easy and mostly enjoyable way to introduce variety into menu is through smoothies. Start as dessert, using just ingredients you like very much. Doesn’t need to be very healthy even. Over time replace ingredients toward healthy ones, no more than 1-2 ingredient at time and letting yourself get used to new taste (couple days or so in my case).

Over past 9 months I went from smoothie being dessert to as being main course, consisting 50% base : 35% greens : 15% berries:

• base: this is quite stable, not changing much: overnight oats with dairy milk, greek yogurt, chia seeds. Mostly sets ratios for macronutrients (trying to keep at 50% carbs : 25% fats : 25% protein, YMMV, depending on your goals)
  • greens: kale, spinach, etc, to pump micronutrients
  • berries: dewberries, cherries, strawberries, etc for micronutrients and taste

Continuously keep rotating greens and berries to shuffle micronutrients.

You can choose different meal or course to experiment but take your time and don’t rush things – too much change at time can throw you off course. At one point I went overboard with broccoli, experiment went from enjoyable to not so much :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

For the Brits: “Garlic Bread - it’s the future, I’ve tasted it” - Peter Kay

LOL that we’re actually discussing whether garlic bread is healthy :laughing:

7 Likes

That was my first thought when I saw the post title…
:joy: