Is Doing Indoor Threshold Intervals Out of the Saddle Cheating?

Yup, shifting to higher gears for standing on the trainer is something I recommend. It’s essentially the same as what we tend to do outside. Seated at 90rpm or so and standing without shifting feels ODD unless you are specifically working up to sprint efforts.

Standing is often done in the 55-75rpm range (varies with rider and use case), so kicking up to the Big Ring or shifting 2-4 cogs harder on the cassette get us to that lower cadence quickly. I’m glad to hear it is a method that works for you too :smiley:

1 Like

Maybe, but it does nothing to recognize the differences that exist if you have a trainer with very different inertia, terrible cooling, stare at a brick wall for effectively zero motivation… compared to what we get outside.

AIFTPD is great, but it’s not all-seeing, all-knowing. Add in things like changes in power data devices (accuracy in particular), and we have more variables than AIFTPD can hope to recognize. It may be a decent number, but I wouldn’t trust it blindly.

Especially when I read comments like I replied to above, that are clear signs of some delta that means the one FTP is not likely the best one for the moment.

1 Like

Summer road AIFTP was 295. Struggled with that number when back to indoor ERG riding (same powermeter).

Took a few months break from Trainer Road but continued structured training indoors. Back to Trainer Road just this week and AIFTP still says 295 so assume that number considers last few months of non TR indoor structured training. Gut say it should be lower but persisting for now.

Some threshold workouts have standing periods in the workout text iirc.

For me, I do get out of the saddle on the road (eg regularly on long climbs, definitely short steep ones where grip allows), but kinda distinguish between my climbing cadence and getting caught in a grind verging on an erg spiral of death.

fwiw I questioned a struggle survey I got, and support said it was based on my cadence rather than not hitting power (and it was one that I was grinding at the end of the intervals).

• OK if you want to do that, but with all you’ve shared, I think and FTP test of some sort may be worthwhile.

What, and ruin the illusion of having a higher FTP :smiley:. I manually moved it down 15 watts for the last 2 months and have literally just complete one workout off the AIFTP. But yes a test is in order but no appetite for that this side of Christmas :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:open_mouth: I’m surprised I don’t get a fail survey more often. On Sunday to keep the noise down (slow my freewheel speed) I decided to do my TN SS/Threshold session on the slopes of the virtual Ventoux. The first blocks were mostly in the low 60s rpm and the last block was in the low 50s rpm. Maybe because it was non ERG, I didn’t get the fail :-/

According to the faq it can use outside ride data with different power meters and even with only heart rate data to estimate FTP. For me after not having been on trainer since early May it was pretty spot on late September

Sure… as I said, it can work. Take the value and try some workouts. If the efforts align as intended, you are set. But AIFTPD is not magic. Variables I listed may well mean that AIFTPD is a bit off for some users and situations

I know TR says the deltas we commonly see for power meters and trainers in particular are “covered”. But with some of the extremes we see, it makes no sense to me that it can really handle those extremes.
Especially so with the other stuff I mention as just too many variables to take if without question in some cases. YMMV, and if it works, great. But if people roll into training inside and workouts are well off from what they should be, some form of change from the AIFTPD value may be necessary.

I think it was a VO2 Max in fairness.

1 Like

Have you considered using resistance mode instead of ERG? Totally different experience for me with RPE way lower and less inclination to spend time out of the saddle.