šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰ Introducing Outside Workouts! šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰

works with my 10 year old edge 500. :smiley:

Did my first outside TR workout this week in the Scottish sunshine :sunglasses:
Strava called it ā€˜Morning Rideā€™ rather than the workout name - is that normal? I noticed that others have filenames like ā€˜Barronette: TrainerRoad Outside Workoutsā€™ - or have they manually edited those?

1 Like

Iā€™ve been on TR for 6 weeks now and have only done 1 workout outside (Laramie) during recovery week.

I feel that indoor is definitely more efficient and effective as I do not have to worry about other outside factors. Iā€™m on SSBLV and this week I will start SSBLV2. I would love to ride outside a little more and was wondering which type of workout is more suitable for outside?

Cheers

IMO it greatly depends on the course where you are doing the outside workout not the type of workout.

I now have good places to ride and Iā€™m finding myself hitting almost perfectly all the targets, regardless of the type of workout.

2 Likes

Envious of you.

For me, the nearest flat course is 30mins ride away. The course is 20km with a few lights.
Other than that, nowhere else is conducive for intervals. lol

Seems like there have recently been changes to many of the outside workout options? Iā€™m getting no outside option for Boarstone now (ā€œOutsideā€ button doesnā€™t do anything) and Mokelumne +1 (Button says ā€œNo outside optionā€). ā€œNo outside optionā€ for Town Hill either. West Vidette +1 outside option is showing Duration of 0:00.

Edit: Some of these look fixed now. Looks like we are looking at some lllooonng outdoor workouts now!

2 Likes

@IvyAudrain You might check the Garmin sync of Wilhelm -3. It seemed wrong on my watch. The Wahoo sync to the Bolt was ok.
Edit: Could also be the case that I messed it upā€¦needed a workout to get used to the different handling (lap press) for Garmin vs Wahooā€¦ :upside_down_face:

1 Like

OOPS haha. Let us know if you got it sorted, or if you need a hand!

I am actually using the outside workout options to push the workouts to my bolt and then complete them indoors on my rollers with a powermeter connected to the bolt. I prefer looking at the bolt while on rollers and not have to fiddle with a phone. Makes it easier to concentrate on balancing on the rollers. Very good for me!

1 Like

One question: when I sync Outside workouts back to the TR app this seems only to work via Strava. So my TR workouts are being renamed into evening workout as strava uses to call these ridesā€¦ not TR workout names in my TR calendar then,ā€¦just lots of evening ridesā€¦ pity, is there a way to change that?

Open the completed workout in TR (as imported from Strava), and use the ā€œAssociate withā€¦ā€ option at the bottom of that screen, to tie it to the desired outside workout.

It is associated, but in my calendar it is still called evening rideā€¦ and only if i click on iti can see the associated tr workout. So the strava name stays and i can probably only change it manually?!

Thanks

OK, the name in TR is inherited from the Strava ride. If you rename the Strava ride, that will pull into TR. I do it all the time. Worst case, you should be able to edit the ride on the TR side if that is all you want.

1 Like

Thank you, always great help by you, Chad! Highly appreciated.

1 Like

@Nate_Pearson

I did Gabb outside today and came across a small but really annoying problem which I think can be easily fixed. Itā€™s one Iā€™ve seen before but been too lazy to highlight!

Most outside workouts are programmed really well but occasionally they are missing ā€˜Rest Until Lapā€™ at key points. In this instance it was after the warm up so the workout ran straight into the main set long before I was at the intended location.

2 Likes

Do outside completed workouts not show up under ā€œmy ridesā€ for the specific workout?
Tried to research all Tunemah workouts I ever completed but the latest outside workout I completed yesterday does not appear despite the checked box ā€œpersonal recordsā€

They do, but itā€™s the name from Strava. We should make it so you can search by outside workout name too.

2 Likes

Thank you, absolutely. I do check my progres also by looking at completed session of the completed workouts. There I can see my ftp, my data and my notes. I always write something about how it went, how I felt, etc.
These days I almost completely switch to outside versions and this source of info and comparability is gone? Would be a huge pity.

1 Like

Very late to the party here but finally got a new laptop and installed Garmin connect so now Iā€™ve managed to get outside workouts pushed to my edge 800.
It worked pretty well, besides the clunky ness of the 800ā€™s user interface. One issue I found though was the text being cut off with the limits of the screen.
Now, Iā€™m actually using RPE and HR data for outside workouts as I canā€™t get a power meter for the bike, so two questions really. Is there a workaround to get the entire text on the screen? (See where it says av pwr 130-???)
And can I get it to tell me to ride at a RPE value rather than power?
Due to the device being about 10 years old Iā€™m not holding my breath but thought Iā€™d ask.
Iā€™m thinking all I can do is look at the workout in advance online and then remember roughly the power values for the intervals, and relate them to RPE in my mind

I believe the work intervals sent to Garmin are a 20 watt range, so if you can see the first power number you can know the range to shoot for.

Or itā€™s a good excuse to get a new Garmin!!

1 Like