🎉 🎉 🎉 Introducing Adaptive Training! 🎉 🎉 🎉

@Westonite it is not in Connect. I built it manually in Google Sheets but choose the color scheme to match Garmin Connect, hence the “Connect theme” in the previous post. Sorry for any confusion (hopes) that someone else has actually implemented this yet.

Is there a way to force AT or PB to inject a recovery week? I’m half way through SSB-HV II and my legs are cooked.

My next A event is a solo ride in the fall so I have some flexibility to shift it one week later, which should force AT / PB to add a week, which I can turn into a recovery week.

I could also just not do the prescribed workouts this week and let AT adapt the plan.

Thoughts? Experiences?

1 Like

I suppose the most obvious option would be to add a time off annotation in this week and then allow AT to adapt the plan on that basis? If you do that and it doesn’t work, you should at least be able to delete the time off annotation and it should reset back to how it was…

I’ve found the time off adaptations to be not that useful though, I have tried it twice and the first time I’ve ended up with a rest week straight into a week off, then second time a week off straight into rest week, which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. I would rather it treat my holidays as rest weeks and keep the work weeks - which is what I would do if I was adapting the plan myself, but you can’t move the workouts around because it breaks the link to Plan Builder/AT…

An option to make AT treat the time off as a rest week might be quite helpful (maybe only in certain cases, I guess it wouldn’t make sense for illness).

3 Likes

Has there been any progress on incorporating strava linked outside rides into updating the progression levels?

No.

3 Likes

Forced Recovery Week

I’m three weeks into SSB-HV II as part of the summer and fall training plan that PB built for a fictitious fondo at the end of October (I’ll probably just do a solo century). training fatigue has been building and I bailed on the most recent two workouts. AT adapted my plan by downgrading upcoming workouts. Feeling I need a recovery week, I was able to force one by deleting my plan, moving my made up fondo out two weeks, and going through PB again with the original plan start date of 7 June. It put in a recovery week this week, three more weeks of base, then full build and specialty phases.

I recognize that not everyone can adjust their A events to make this work. I did experiment with changing the Experience level in PB from Advanced to Intermediate, but it added more base than I wanted (SSB HV I and II). Maybe if I had selected an even earlier start date it would have truncated base, but PB still planned full length build and specialty phases, whereas I was trying to preserve base and build, and truncate specialty.

Anyway, just wanted to share in case anyone else is trying to figure out how to insert a recovery week while using PB and AT. YMMV.

Not ideal, but inserting a “Time Off” annotation may be a way to leave a week open, that allows you to manually add whatever you want for recovery week workouts.

1 Like

Quick question! My plan is suggesting some adaptations. I get a prompt to accept or not. I know some of my levels are off because I haven’t been getting credit for outside workouts. Eg my endurance is 3.2 but I’ve done a fair few 150km (up to 190km cycles).

Can I accept certain adaptations and ignore others? And how would I go about doing that? :sweat_smile:

No, there is not a way to accept / deny specific adaptations. It’s “all or nothing” at the moment.

1 Like

Cheers Chad. I’ll decline so.

If I go off piste and swap in other workouts, boosting my levels back up to where I think they should be, will it trigger subsequent adaptations downstream, or, am I just messing everything up.

P.S. Excuse all the questions. I’ve read the entirety of both AT threads but seem to have retained nothing :rofl:.

1 Like

No sweat on the questions. There’s LOTS of info around here and not much is documented in the FAQ’s or places for easy reference.

We have lots of willing helpers around here to try and handle these questions and get people moving in the right direction :smiley:

5 Likes

I’ve bookmarked the FAQ :+1:. I’ve some reading to catch up on it seems :grin:.

1 Like

IIRC, Any swapping of indoor workouts that you do will feed the AT algorithms, but only do the swap the same day you do the workout, so that AT can adapt future workouts. Any manually moved workout won’t get adaptation suggestions from AT.

2 Likes

@mcneese.chad thanks for mentioning. I forgot to discuss it in my previous post. I originally tried this, but AT deleted all of the workouts for the week and made some adjustments later, but being in week 4 of SSB HV II, AT left next week (week 5) as is with some adaptations and then went into the normal week 6 recovery. So, I would have gone recovery - week 5 - recovery. PB / AT was preserving the start of the build phase, whereas I was ok with shortening specialty, which is how I ended up doing what I did.

1 Like

Good to know and sorry it didn’t work better.

Thanks @huges84. That’ll come in useful, no doubt :+1:.

No need to apologize - AT did exactly what I thought it would. A future option to add a recovery week and specify how the plan should shift (i.e. truncate Specialty by one week) would be great but I don’t expect it at this phase of the beta or even when AT gets released to full production.

1 Like

I think it needs an option to force AT to insert a rest week - either treat the time off as a rest week or just have an option to add a rest week.

Previously I’d have just moved the workouts around but you can’t do that now while preserving AT adaptations.

As I said either upthread or in the other one, I’ve had 2 holiday weeks where I have been riding but not seriously, and AT has just ignored them so I’ve ended up going week off - rest week then in the next block the reverse (rest week into week off), which is just annoying.

Not sure I follow the logic in the adaptations. My VO2 workouts in a short power build were increasing PL. So currently at 5.3PL and the workout scheduled was 5.7PL. I know I went in tired and thinking the intensity was too high so this isnt the best choice but started it anyway. Quickly realized this wasnt my day so stopped after the first set.

All that is fine…now the failure triggers the next adaptation…so the next VO2 workout is now at level 2.6PL and that is the only workout that changed. I dont understand the logic.

1 Like

What I would probably do is screenshot or take note of the suggested adaptations, then reject them. Then you can use “alternates” as needed to replace the ones you DID want to accept.

1 Like