šŸŽ‰ šŸŽ‰ šŸŽ‰ Introducing Adaptive Training! šŸŽ‰ šŸŽ‰ šŸŽ‰

Firstly congrats on the FTP increase. Always good news.
I think AT has a built in rule that states that after a change of FTP, whether up or down, adjust levels downwards. That makes sense as either you did well and the new levels will make your workouts harder anyway. If you went down then clearly the workouts need to be easier.

Given what you have been given now I would retain them and do the recommended workouts and see how quickly they jump back up again.

I think this a bit like training plans, you have to trust the process.

Anyway thanks for taking the pain for us not yet on the beta.

2 Likes

Chad, thanks for the detailed feedback. Weā€™re looking into this now.

3 Likes
  • Yup. I understand and agree on the general direction of a downward adjustment.

• My current issue is the severity of the change.

• My Endurance was cut nearly in half and VO2 Max & Threshold far more than that. Everything else cut back to 1.0 from different points.
    • I just donā€™t see any rhyme or reason to the amount of change, especially when considering the FTP change was a mere 2% delta.
    • Nonsense reductions in my eyes, when considering the small change in FTP. If this is intended behavior, it better come with some explanation, because I canā€™t see any reason for the amount changes applied.
  • I am considering this, but admittedly hesitant. Pending races and such are leading me to question a progression that is far slower than I think it should be.

• Essentially, I donā€™t want to penalize my actual progression from what may well be bad programming via the beta. I am fine with the process and helping out, but I donā€™t want to sacrifice my training as a result.

• Maybe my priorities are off, but I have actual goal events outside of helping TR, and I am seriously concerned by what I see right now, and the limited info I have on whether this is ā€œright or wrongā€.

• Yeah, but before getting into AT, I spent the last two years modifying the default plans to suit my actual abilities. I changed the work and recovery week layout to allow me to complete the prescribed workouts the majority of the time. A necessary change since at 45yo when I started that experiment (and 47 now), the default plans force me to failure without my mods.

• I got a good taste of how positive AT can be with my first 3-4 weeks using it a while ago. These did make sense and I followed them with good results. But recent changes seem to have put the process steps backwards and the new changes and suggested adaptations no longer make sense. So itā€™s hard to follow ā€œa leaderā€ that I now think is lost and aimless.

5 Likes

Not sure if this is normal behaviour or a bug. My VO2 level was 1.1 as I had been doing SSB and my efforts over threshold had been on Zwift or outside.

Despite this my first VO2 workout set in my plan was an 8.1 and the system even said ā€œNot recommendedā€!

So I failed the workout today but completed a good proportion of it at full power or between 5-10% lower. Despite this the system has given me no increase in level, I assume because I failed. So I am still at a 1.1 level despite completing half of a 8.1 level workout!

I assumed the system would be a bit more nuanced and give my attempt a score to increase my levels

2 Likes

Welcome to beta testing an applicationā€¦thereā€™s a reason it isnā€™t released in Production - you and the other people in the beta are dealing with these things so they can resolve them before an actual releaseā€¦

Didnā€™t say I had a problem with it, just that until it starts making sense then I wont be trusting it.

1 Like

What survey questions did you get, and which answer did you choose?

I got the failure questionnaire and answered ā€œIntensityā€

1 Like

Practically speaking Iā€™d argue a ramp test bump from 261 to 266 is basically within the noise floor of power meter accuracy and day-to-day body fluctuations.

And even if you did have a minor bump, it was such a minor bump that basically reseting most of the progressions is clearly a bug.

8 Likes

Totally agreed on the potential for variance. Trainer accuracy for one, my room was cooler this time (which makes me perform better in general), and who knows what else. So even if I had a wash with no FTP change, the magnitude of the change I got in PLā€™s seems just plain wrong.

4 Likes

When it comes to levels after a FTP change it should arguably be relatively linear in my opinion.

For instance, if youā€™re doing 250w on sweetspot intervals before an FTP test then thereā€™s no real reason you should be suddenly doing significantly less than 250w on sweetspot intervals after an FTP test, assuming youā€™ve gained in FTP (even slightly)ā€¦ and even if youā€™d lost FTP, thereā€™s an argument that you were doing those intervals OK before anyway so no need for big changes.

Now I donā€™t know what levels that aligns with for something like a 5% FTP increase, but I very much doubt it would take a 5 down to 1.

With that in mind, itā€™s looking quite likely Iā€™m going to skip the FTP test next week. Levels are working OK for me at the moment (VO2max issue aside), so I donā€™t really want it to mess them up.

2 Likes

Yikes. I went from anxiously waiting to get into Beta to wanting no part of it until it is a smooth flawless running machine. Like you, after years Iā€™ve finally reworked the TR plans to suit my needs and abilities and Iā€™ve never been fitter consistently hitting all time PRs this season. Iā€™d be afraid to throw a wrench into the system with a dysfunctional AT. Iā€™ll check back in with AT at the end of this race season.

6 Likes

It depends on your goals.

If you want to help out TR as a beta tester and sacrifice performance goals to do so (maybe no events) even if AT isnt working correctly, maybe.

If youā€™ve got events or goals coming up that are important to you almost certainly not.

From the outside that looks totally broken, no ā€œtrust the processā€ decision to be made in my eyes unless you are purely beta testing.

2 Likes

I was getting frustrated that Iā€™m still not receiving email with the AT inclusion but looking at some of the above comments Iā€™m happy to continue with just plan builder!

1 Like

What weā€™re seeing in the forum is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

3 Likes

Theyā€™ve essentially shared the entire bug list with us in the below post. Thereā€™s definitely a lot of work still to do.

I should have clarified that I meant ā€œtip of the icebergā€ in terms of frustration for users. I think the TR team has been particularly transparent regarding expectations, and their judgement with respect to widespread dissemination has been spot-on. I canā€™t wait for AT, but Iā€™m more than willing to wait for a polished product.

1 Like

I agree 100% mate

1 Like

This is one of the aspects of ML that is challenging in all areas - we basically have no visibility as to why a specific decision is made. This holds true of training adaptations, as well as for when a self-driving car does something stupid. There is no algorithm to debug, just a black box. You can make a new black box with different training data, and make sure it handles the known weird cases, but thatā€™s about it.

4 Likes

Exactly, Just have faith train and see the results if they become better from the time we train without AI.
There has been very few weeks to know buy I believe it is great.

To add some balance to this, the same attributes that make it hard to debug also make it very powerful - ML can find and match patterns that we otherwise wouldnā€™t know existed, and can make (potentially valid) associations between things that we donā€™t have a mechanistic or algorithmic understanding of. A few comparisons have been made with Xert, which is interesting as well, but from my understanding is algorithm based, rather than ML. This means that Xert will be easier to debug when it produces strange results, but it will be harder to do new things, as people need to understand the relationships and code them into an algorithm as opposed to having ML look at all the data and make the associations itself.
This is a vast oversimplification of course, but I think is a reasonable description of the tradeoffs between ML and algorithmic methods.

3 Likes