Iñigo San Millán training model

Maybe this will help a little bit in discussion?
Effects of Endurance Training on the Breathing Pattern

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been tested on multiple occasions. Other riders didn’t always pay that much attention, but I found it interesting.

1 Like

Thanks. Turns out this “contrarian” was right after all. :astonished: :wink:

2 Likes

You bring a lot of knowledge to the table, which makes your attitude all the more frustrating.

Like an assertion that an r value of .75 is coincidental.

3 Likes

To what R value I you referring?

The study that @jarsson posted shows a respiratory rate of 25-30 breathes per minute at a power of 200 W. This is in perfect agreement with my initial estimate that Sanders had to be breathing at least 25 times per minute while warming up, simply due to his high absolute ability.

measured @ear of course …

On the latest ask a cycling coach podcast, Keegan was talking about his training. It sounds like it’s very similar to the ISM model. Lots of time between zone 2/3 (he said 75-80% of his FTP).

Right around 1:07.

Also noteworthy, although a bit different than what we’ve seen from ISM (I think), Keegan said Jim Miller will throw the 30/30s in there “at the top of the hour” on a four hour ride. So you have TWO of @sryke forum threads combined into one ride!

Who says the internet can’t be your coach! Kidding, kidding. Interesting stuff, @AJS914. :v:

Endurance plus stuff. That’s the winning combination, boys. Except when it isn’t. LOL

6 Likes

On some really long and tedious work calls this morning, and just analyzed Keegan’s January weeks. His zones appear to be set correctly so its pretty easy. For example here is one ride:

distribution:

and power graph:

and the intervals are 3-min jobbers:

1 Like

At some point someone has to start a “Jim Miller Training Model” thread. I’m not qualified to do it myself. :slight_smile:

Jim Miller:
“Pressure on the pedals for hours. Hours. I hate coffee stops. After they build some fitness then we’ll add a bit of intensity of all kinds. After that if they want to stop and get coffee that’s fine. I don’t care.” LOL.

Ok, I think I just covered it.

6 Likes

Sounds like my coach except my rides aren’t long enough for coffee stops.

That quote is from him talking to the Big Cat. So in the Kevin Bacon sense, you are only 2 degrees removed from Jim Miller, @bbarrera. You’re practically pro!

1 Like

oh that Jim Miller, my brain is thawing out from long tedious meetings this morning. Yes, he was just on my coach’s podcast (The Training Edge) and forgot I’ve heard him on other podcasts.

the only pro thing happening with my training is slowly becoming pro at boring zone2 rides! While I haven’t had my lactate tested, it sure feels vaguely similar to the ISM model.

1 Like

^

2 Likes

When i posted about your stance we were talking about the correlation between lt1 and vt. Someone posted a graph that showed .72 (not .75 as i said before) with the resulting bias. They are not randomly associated by chance as you asserted above. Are they exactly the same? No. But definitely correlated.

Correlation is not causation. You can differentiate LT and VT numerous ways, e.g., by pedaling really fast or slow, by altering glycogen stores, by doing intervals vs. continuous training, etc.

The classic study proving that Wasserman was wrong, though, is this one, which relied on an “experiment of nature”.

So, yes, obviously any correlation between VT and LT is purely coincidental.

1 Like

McN-watch, February so far

grafik

JoDomb

grafik

5 Likes

Interesting that they both will start a training block with a z2 ride and do a z2 with intervals the next day. Most people tend to do the opposite to hit the intervals when freshest.

How do you know that is the beginning of a training block?

After a rest day