Iñigo San Millán training model

McN watch

last 7 days, training camp

January 2021 so far:

grafik

2 Likes

Lot of time in Z1/Z2 .

looks to alternate between 20+min efforts at 300-320w on the climbs also 400w on certain efforts. @skyre would you say 300-320 is more his SS or low=mid Tempo?

I’d say definitely low/mid tempo

and he carries on with that. Yesterday:

McN watch

back in the office after his training camp in UAE. Now with a little more intensity. Endurance is still nailed somwhere below 300W. Almost like erg mode. recovery spin slightly above 200W

This endurance riding can be seen with Joe Dombrowski as well. intensity is structured differently.

4 Likes

Yesterday I rode to some small hills:

Clearly I have some technical work to do on making the second half hill work more Erg-like.

that’s a big difference between the extremes of the endurance range for you (184 - 255). Where is your ISM prescription for endurance?

I don’t remember what the percentages are but the above ride was about a 4-5 out of 10 RPE, around 245w for 4 hours or so

I don’t ever ride to a percentage for endurance rides.

1 Like

What’s this “intensity 84%” orange circle in your screenshot? Are you TR beta testing or am I missing something?

To make McN’s week complete, erg mode on the road as it is probably just possible in the wide empty land across the big pond

2 Likes

So basically this is also confirmation of recent interview with Sepp Kuss that described very hard day as 4h ride with 2x20 O/U efforts (I know different team). This almost looks…“easy”? :slight_smile:

obndy likes to comment on a lot of threads without actually paying attention to either the initial video or concepts being discussed. ISM basically said that the just beyond conversational pace is zone 2 for almost all of his study participants, and then also said that many met carts don’t have the greatest accuracy and that he prefers the old school respiratory (talking) thresholds to determine his zones. I’m quoting almost verbatim.

IMO, he likes to be a contrarian just to do it.

25 sounds like a lot, are you considering a breath 1 inhale and 1 exhale = 1 breath?

Most of my LIT is at 15 breaths/min, and that still includes the absolute power of 200 watts.

ISM had defined z2 as the point just beyond where you can speak complete sentences, so it is supposed to be kind of hard. His Z2 seems to be 2 mmol, if the inflection is more like at 1.5 mmol. Z2 or LT1 doesn’t seem to have a consistent definition as well… The true inflection point of a lactate curve would be much closer to 1 mmol than 2. ISM’s zone 2 point is much more like the 1 mmol above baseline definition. So that means it’ll have a bit of the +/- in there as well.

Total ventilation (i.e., volume of air inhaled/exhaled per minute) is primarily dependent upon the absolute exercise intensity. Vital capacity, OTOH, is primarily dependent upon body size. Well-trained athletes working at higher absolute exercise intensities therefore have to breathe more often than less well-trained individuals exercising at lower intensities.

IOW, 25 breaths/minute would not be at all unusual for someone like Sanders, even during moderate intensity exercise. At maximal exercise, he likely hits 50-70 breaths/minute.

If you’re only breathing 15 times per minute at 200 W, then either you have some unusually large lungs, or you’re using more of your total lung capacity than most.

VO2 @ 200 W = approximately 3 L/min
Ve/VO2 normally 25-30 L/L
Therefore Ve = 75-90 L/min
75-90 L/min divided by 15 breaths/min = 5-6 L/breath

“A normal adult has a vital capacity between 3 and 5 liters.”

Note that we rarely use all of our vital capacity while breathing, because doing so would be energetically inefficient.

How tall are you, and how much do you weigh?

It makes sense that the relationship VO2 vs power is close to linear and I find logical that that total ventilation and VO2 depend upon the absolute wattage, but how do you get to this number? I am just curious for example how much oxygen I need at complete rest, and at say 300W?

I’m not a big person, basically a little smaller than Sanders. 5’8" and 153.

I have had a PFT to get fitted for a respirator, so I don’t remember the actual result, just that the guy said I was above average. Not sure what that meant as I just thought he meant for my size.

Respiratory rate for me is how I gauge RPE. I run at 180 spm, and cycle at 85-90 rpm so roughly the same rate. 7+ steps or half revolutions is super easy recovery, all the way up to 2 in 2 out at 220 rpm VO2 and other efforts, I’m maxing my respiratory rate at around 55-60

For me, it’s 1.8, 2.8, and 3.8 L/min at 100, 200, and 300 W, respectively, but I’m pretty economical. I therefore just rounded up to 3.0 when posting.

1 Like

So you actually got yourself tested with mask, in alab etc.?

So you actually got yourself tested with mask, in a lab etc.?