I decided to give a good try to structured training. I ordered a power meter and I bought a cheap (but decent) bike to have exclusively in the trainer.
Here’re my personal constrains:
The closest thing to an event I have to plan for is this ride that I’m planining for January/21
Because summer is beautiful where I live, right now I’m doing 2 unstructured rides a week. By mid october I will go to mostly indoor and 100% structured.
The two rides I do a week are as follows:
Wednesday typical Route: 30-35 miles, 3000-3500 ft elevation gain. 2-3 hours
- 10-12 mile flattish or -1% >> Endurance and/or sweetspot
- 6-8 mile 6-7% climb >> Good VO2max, threshold work (45-60 min)
- 10-12 mile flattish or +1% >> Usually just endurance if I went hard on the hill.
Weekend typical Route: 50-70 miles, 5000-7000 ft elevation gain. 4-6 hours
- Could be long climb or >> Endurance + Sustained Power
- 2 - 3 hills combined. >> Endurance + Sustained Power
Here’s what I’m thinking:
- Given the unstructured routes I do, seems like I can get a lot of threshold, vo2max, sustained effort, sweet spot work.
- While I will not do strict workouts outside. I will be diligent on achieving those thresholds of power and time in order to get most of the systems work prescribed (using the guidance of some of the workouts)
- I will add one day on the trainer.
- What kind of workout or series of workouts would you add to that 1 day on the trainer in order to complement what I can do outdoor.???
- What would you do different outdoor (terrain, duration)???