If indoor workouts are so great

Amateur vs pro

Yesterday, If I was a pro, I would have done my scheduled workout outside sometime over several hours in the middle of the day. I’d be living somewhere with good quiet roads with some climbs. It would have been a great workout and I’d be doing some version of that day after day.

Reality - Yesterday I had to work a bit too late to make the 6:00 group ride and last evening was my only window to to get the lawn mowed this week based on travel and a predicted stretch of rain coming. By the time I was able to get going on a work out, it was 7:45 pm. I could have put the lights on the bike but instead hit the trainer for an hour. I got a great workout in (but it was not a pro level workout).

The trainer is awesome. I love it and use it often - but if I was a pro - yesterday would have gotten me fired. And, if not yesterday for sure I’d get fired today after I hit the trainer again to to avoid some rain showers. I spend a lot of time on the trainer :wink: But camping out on it all the time is definitely not “pro.”

3 Likes

Amen.

The trainer is a great tool. But I have the luxury of living in the mountains and my pick for 5, 10, 12, 20 min climbs to do my repeats on. Plus single track is right out my door.

I agree with you, indoor training works great and mixing in outside rides is fine.
I find that after work, I would rather just get on the trainer and get my workout done than have to deal with getting fully kitted up and then the weather and traffic and dealing with other humans.

2 Likes