I got my gut biome tested, here are the results

I have no clue if that type of bacteria are bad. I do want to eliminate artificial sweeteners from my diet, so this was a good wake up call that I haven’t don’t that yet.

There was a major study that came out a couple years ago that correlated one of the big nasties (dementia or alzheimer’s) with artificial sweetener intake.

2 Likes

There are a few studies showing that sweeteners can affect gut biodiversity. I can’t remember how big the studies are or if they are even human studies.

This podcast is a fairly good listen on the topic:

1 Like

Thx that was interesting.

:joy:

There were two studies last year that threw some shade on probiotics. I think they also throw some shade on parts of the ubiome. The applicable part of them was they found that when they actually tested people via endoscopies and colonoscopies to get mucosal samples of gut biomes they varied from older stool based studies.

In short: You poop out your probiotics. Older studies were looking at stool and assuming it corollated to gut biome. Turns out it doesn’t as much as we thought. So, take the findings from this stool based collection with a bit of salt, especially for edible probiotic bacteria like the pickle/kraut.

1 Like

I have read pink= cancer, blue = alzhemier’s.

what are they saying about Splenda and stevia?

Thanks for sharing.

Did they mention anything about Prevotella, which can enhance muscle recovery.

Here is an interesting read from the Washington Post about it.

My wife looked into this and it looks like my insurance will cover 6 tests and we just need to pay the $30 shipping. So worth investigating insurance options.

Yes, I have about .30x the amount of prevotella compared to their “selected sample”.

That means I don’t have much :).

Nate, Have you done any more research on fecal transplantation?

I agree that this stuff is interesting, but that NO ACTION should be taken in response to it. Unfortunately, that’s just what Nate and others seem to want to do. Hopefully, they will simply be wasting their time and money and not adversely affecting their health.

There is a lot of good research going on in this area, but there just isn’t enough known yet to use these tests to take any action. Much of what is provided is based on correlations that have been made, but correlation is not causation.

For example, you should not care at all whether or not you have the microbes they identify as “gluten-digesting,” unless perhaps if you have celiac disease or are diagnosed with gluten intolerance. Genetics play a role as well, but is not determinative either.

1 Like

No. Looks like I’ve got a good gut biome. If anyone wants my :poop: let me know :slight_smile:.

5 Likes

I was thinking of doing this test too, but always wondered how you actually do it. I had crazy visions of pretty gross methods to obtain the sample.

Thanks for sharing. This doesn’t seem so bad. Good luck in your quest to improve the quality of the bacteria.

Seems like a good thread for this.

5 Likes

more write-ups: A bacteria found in the gut of elite athletes has been discovered to increase performance - Canadian Cycling Magazine

2 Likes

Another article

@Nate_Pearson from Trento University. Lifestyle is a threat to gut bacteria: Ötzi proves it, study shows: Study explores the variation and evolution of Prevotella copri, a common human gut microbe -- ScienceDaily my interest you.

1 Like

This is good and easy to read article about intestines
https://foodclinicdiet.com/what-is-the-importance-of-intestinal-bacterial-flora/

I’m in the UK and thinking of getting this done, any recomendations of where to go (apart form google :thinking:)