I Didn’t Follow the Recipe, and I’m Appalled It Turned Out So Awful

IYKYK

Invite the best cook among your friends to a home cooked meal, three courses at least.

If none of your friends is a legit cook, prep your “cooking FTP test” by making friends with one. Or just invite me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There’s a UK TV show where they (used to?) pretty much do this. The celebrity chefs had to cook an omelette as quickly as possible.

It was a completely standalone segment in the middle of an otherwise fairly sane “create a meal with limited ingredients” show.

I think it was Ready, Steady, Cook.

Wouldn’t that just be a quick scrambled eggs folded in half?

Pretty much. It usually ended up looking terrible and tasting worse.

It really annoyed me as it was just a waste or perfectly good food.

1 Like

Yep. Plus there is the structural integrity challenges if you’re adding fillings.

It also depends if it’s a French style omelette or half fold American style omelette… French style is a lot harder than the half fold, especially with additional ingredients in the omelette.

4 Likes

:joy:

I’m not entirely sure I’m positive what french style is…

In general though…omelets, and eggs in general IMO are like chess and all great games…easy to learn, impossible to master.

Checkers anyone?
Can I get some catsup for that spinach omelette.

French style is an omelette folded in half and then half again, you almost roll the omelette off of the pan.

Then the American style is folded once in half.

Now I’m hungry

1 Like

There is a Japanese style omelette that is rolled. It is multi layers and cooked with in a special pan
Called tamagoyaki.

4 Likes

This thread became much better once we started talking omelettes. I want to try a Japanese omelette now.

7 Likes

I’m just going to find a food forum I think. Omelets are much more interesting than rehashing bike problems that have already been solved. I bet there are some SUPER serious egg nerds out there.

3 Likes

I’d be all ova that. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Not sure I like how this thread has become all scrambled.

12 Likes

I love the internet.

1 Like

Eggcelent

6 Likes

You all crack me up.

1 Like

I’ve never seen a recipe that told me “why” for the amounts, or the process. The recipe is just the ingredients and the steps, sometimes with a few comments or cautions about making sure to do X, or making sure not to do Y, to get/avoid certain results. That’s a training plan.

The “why” comes from another cook teaching you to cook, or from a coach/video/book/resource teaching you to train. I wouldn’t fault the recipe/plan for not having that.

2 Likes