I ❤️CARBS! (and so should you!)

If you have one bottle of 20% solution, and one bottle of just water, and drink from them rougly evenly, do you count it as 10% solution?

1 Like

Brilliant info, thank you

1 Like

Yep!

1 Like

So i did this. I had 2x500ml bottles both with 100g sugar+salt. One bottle 500ml bottle water+salt. Finished both bottles in two hours and also drink some from the water only bottle. Probably around 1200ml in total for two hours. No bloating, no gut issues. This was so easy to get that amound of carbs. I guess i wont be wasting my time with gels anymore :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

Just wanted to report a personal success story here. I’ve just done my first 300 km ride on a 10% solution without having any stomach problems whatsoever (also a first). I generally don’t manage to drink 1 litre per hour, and I felt I needed to increase the concentration from 8 % to still get enough carbs/hour and it was fine. It’s been quite warm so I took extra salt tablets and I think that prevented any nausea. Big change from 6 weeks ago when I puked when I got home and puked and still had massive salt cravings a day later.

2 Likes

I have to say through my years of experimentation, I have reacted the best off the following:

• pure sugar water.
  • SiS gels: sits on my gut better than anything I find.
  • honey.

The last entry, honey, I tried this in a race last year to have a condensed source of something say “natural”, though, I know when it comes down to it chemically - aside from the added nutrients, pollen etc., is essentially the same in sugary composition.

Despite that has anyone manipulated honey? @Dr_Alex_Harrison I would assume it is palatable to simply add Malto to ‘improve’ the ratio for tolerability, correct?

1 Like

There’s a French company that make primarily honey-based gels bars and so on : https://en.meltonic.fr/

I haven’t actually tried any of their products though. Also, about 10 years ago Decathlon used to make “honey bars” that were just some sort of solidified honey. God, they were fantastic. If they hadn’t stopped making them I’d probably have no teeth left.

1 Like

Yep!

1 Like

Awesome!!

2 Likes

Just love honey. May as well get some other vitamins while we are at it!

I regularly make sweet tea with tons of honey in one of my bottles. Since honey contains water the math is a bit different so just be sure to account for that when weighing or adding.

2 Likes

Is it feasible to add Maltodextrin to a premixed sports drink (Powerbar Isoactive). Currently I have ca 45g of carbs (I believe it’s 2:1) in a 710ml bottle. Can I just add maltodextrin to get to, let’s say, 70g of carbs per bottle or would that be too much glucose and throw off the ratio?

70g of total carbs can be almost all glucose/maltodextrin and still be effective. The body can process around 60g/hr of glucose alone. Fructose is a parallel pathway if you want to go above that number substantially

1 Like

Been doing exactly that lately and it’s working fine. I might try adding some table sugar and cutting a bit of the malto in the future to get over 70g/bottle.

Joe

1 Like

Fun carb-related anecdote. I just took some drink mix powder in clear plastic bags through TSA at Newark. TSA guy: what is this? Me: it’s sugar (thinking now is not the time to get into specifics re malto fructose). TSA guy: what do you use it for? Me: I cycle and I drink it. Total look of incomprehension. I got it through though!