How to properly ride in a group without much excertion?

That sounds a bit odd… if you ride smoothly on the flat, you shouldn’t need to tap your brakes. You also shouldn’t fall so far behind the rider in front. Unless the ones in front don’t ride smooth either, or there are changes in terrain you haven’t anticipated. Keep in mind too that the further back you are in the group, the more jagged it will be.

If there is a gap, try closing it more slowly, just with a bit of extra pressure on the pedals.
As said above, anticipate changes in speed and add pressure/ease off the pedals early. It might help to shift down to be able to react quicker.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback- I only do YouTube just for a bit of fun and enjoy the process. A fair few other videos on my channel of me failing to achieve cycling excellence :joy:

What are tempo burst and 30/30s?

I agree. There are some wheels you don’t want ride, especially the herky jerky rider. It’s harder on me when I have to slow down and then pick back up speed. When that type of rider is in front of me I back off a bit and look to get in front of them. Paceline riding is an art and you realky want to know the rider in frint of you, if you can.

2 Likes

The trick i used at the local race series, which is mainly just a through-and-off paceline for 60 hard minutes was to turn up this year older, more tired and with 30W less in the legs. I’ve rapidly become much better at doing as little as possible: riding smoothly, getting the best of the drafting, holding speed through corners.

Learn to be lazy.

5 Likes

A tempo burst interval would be something like 20min @ 85% FTP with 10-15sec long ‘bursts’ at power@vo2max (120% FTP?) periodically. Could be every 5min, 4min, 2min… You can adjust the tempo power as desired, so could be 80% or 90% (sweetspot burst) and the burst part can vary according to your needs. A typically workout for me might be 3x20 of these. You can start with bursts every 5min, then 4min, then 3min, etc. As someone who does more steady state intervals and riding I find the more challenging part is the on/off nature of power delivery and these bursts seem to help a little with preparing myself with controlled on/off bursts.

I don’t want to debate the purpose(s) of 30/30s, but in this case iti s a similar thing to help me with the on/off nature of group rides. They are 30sec ‘on’ and 30sec ‘off’ for however long you want to go. Some people do the ‘on’ part full gas, I tend to do the 'on’s around 120% FTP and the offs around 40% FTP. I might do 3 sets of 15 (so 15x(30s on, 30sec off) three times with 5min recovery in between.

1 Like

Fun little video. But from this, I would say there wasn’t need to be doing 500 watt turns, that’s huge. Looks like in the wheels it was around 300 watts, up to about 400, at most. Jumping up to 500 watts seems like it’s someone trying to get off the front as quick as possible but only making it worse for themselves.

That’s what I’d say to the OP. No need to panic when you get to the front. Keep the pace steady and move across calmly. Another factor is to anticipate when you are about to be last person so you don’t have to close too big of a group when it’s time to move up.

Yes - a valid observation. :+1:t2::+1:t2:

Definitely wasn’t deliberately trying to break away off the front (I’m not capable of feats of excellence like that) but equally can see that perhaps I was simply trying too hard.

Notwithstanding this, I’ve also thought about this a bit more and there are two other main factors, one in my control and the other not so much.

The point in the ride where I hit the bigger number was as the road rises and being a heavy chap (96kg currently) I find the power needed to keep the pace goes up a fair bit on the inclines at speed when on the front.

The difference between 400w and 500w for me at 21mph up an incline is really just a couple of gradient % points. Gradient is out of my direct control albeit I can elect to slow the pace accordingly but feel the invisible peer pressure not to do so :joy:

The bit completely in my control is riding position. I find that when I’m pushing really hard I have an unhelpful and self sabotaging tendency to sit a lot more upright. At 6’3” this makes a huge negative difference to frontal area and resistance as a result.

So add the two together and it’s not hard to see how 400w in the wheel turns into 500+ on the front, before even factoring your original observation of me maybe pushing too hard anyway :smiley:

Good spot though - something I will look to be more actively aware of and work on consciously on the next attempt - thanks :+1:t2: