How to plan training, 1st ‘proper’ year

30 y/o
169cm.
70.5kg
253FTP.

Used TR for just over a month. Used to compete in strongman/powerlifting and weightlifting. Been riding bikes on and off for a good few years. I.e not a newbie but not a seasoned pro.

I used TR trainnow for a few weeks, then I competed in a novice CX race and subsequently entered 2 more in the next 2 weeks. Then I think there’ll be a spring series which I’d like to get on. Therefore I jumped on a CX - low volume training plan. Just to get some race kind of efforts in so my body isn’t in total shock! I am coping with these workouts ok, as well as an extra outside ride which I’ve used for enjoyment and bike handling reasons.

Anyway, once I’ve done these races what type of training plan should I look to, base?

I’ve entered some XC races (march, may) and a couple of enduro events (April, July).

I will also do a few local crit/TT events when my shift pattern suits.

Don’t want to get too caught up in specifics as I am just enjoying riding and racing my bikes quite irrespective of results at the minute. I really just want to add to my w/kg and get race experience and see what I can do….

If you use TR, just use the plan builder. Pick one of your races as the A race, and it’ll work out a plan for you.

I’ve seen your other thread about commuting, which will add 5-6 hours of total time to your training, so I’d probably pick a low volume plan and add the commutes. Then try and do a longer endurance ride over the weekend (or on days off), when the weather gets better. The low-volume plan has 3 relatively intense workouts per week, and your commutes add endurance time. Alternatively, you could pick a mid-volume plan, and replace the endurance workouts with some of your commutes. (Your commutes are shorter but the total.time in zone is probably similar. Or make some commutes longer, as long as you keep them endurance pace).

4 Likes

Awesome, makes sense. Thanks.

Also, don’t hammer your commutes, particularly hills. Keeping them squarely in the endurance zone will make that volume less fatiguing.

1 Like

Glad to see this at the end of your post…there is a lot to learn in your first “proper” year (or 3 :wink:) so don’t worry too much about getting the “right” or “best” plan.

You are going to see significant improvements, regardless of which plan you choose. Given the variety of races you have on your schedule, as noted above, plug it all into Plan Builder, designate one race or series as your A race and go with what PB comes up with.

Good luck!!

1 Like

Rather than start a totally new thread:

On the basis of training, how much upper body work do people do?

It obviously has its uses but after my weightlifting years I can’t help but think my upper body could be reduced in mass (overall, I am quite lean) in order to help my bike efforts.

I think it’s useful for CX and MTB especially and does help to have some padding but will definitely slow me down.

Enough to make my wife look at me without looking disgusted. :blush:

Which translates as “enough to make me look like a vaguely properly proportioned male human”

Seriously, build your aerobic engine and add watts before worrying about marginal stuff like losing upper body mass.

3 Likes