How do you fit in Wednesday worlds/group rides while structured training?

I follow a low-volume plan with 3 trainer road workouts during the week and I am now facing a dilemma with Wednesday worlds. I really like group rides when it comes to the social aspect and just riding with other people, but at the same time, I don’t want these group rides to negatively impact my training. I am currently in sustained power build low volume and I had to skip a workout last week as I went too hard during a group ride and that ride left me fatigued for 2 days. Data wise: it was a 3-hour ride with an IF of 0.79, Normalized Power of 255W (FTP 288W), an average power of 218W, average heart rate of 162bpm, and a whopping 227 TSS!

Sometimes, I join the easier group but due to the group dynamics, there are instances where I have to go into zone 5 (anaerobic) due to the rolling terrain and there is always that one guy who likes to push the pace. Also, I personally haven’t been riding with other people for the last couple of months so I have lost some group riding skills such as maintaining a steady pace on hills, etc. (I made a whole new topic on that so not going to go into detail here). I had to label my last Wednesday worlds as a C race as a result. My biggest disappointment when it comes to riding with other people is that the pace is always higher than what is initially agreed upon. People push hard on the climbs and I am forced to go into my red zone on a regular basis.

I enjoy riding with other people, but at the same time, I don’t want to finish a group ride completely toasted with nothing left, which would negatively impact my ability to be consistent in my training. How can I go about this?

I would replace one of the workouts with the group ride. 3 intense TR workout and then a hard group ride is too much IMO. Adding steady endurance rides to LV is fine. I think most people who complain about TR being too much intensity don’t respect this. They think LV so I can add one or two group rides. My experience is that will overload me and most people.

2 Likes

Yup…structure the week so you get enough rest in between rides. So maybe Mon, Weds and Saturday for your hard rides.

Supplement with Z2 rides as you wish.

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking but thought it was possible as trainerroad says that we can add unstructured rides in addition to our three prescribed workouts. Boy, I was totally wrong lol, I think they meant to say zone 2 rides.

1 Like