How do I write "I successfully completed the base-build-specialty cycle" on my CV?

Okay, so completing the entire cycle with 100% compliance (i.e not skipping any workout) has given a lot of confidence for me in other aspects of my life. This will also help me in applying for a part time job as a student, but I would like to know how do I add this on my CV? I wouldn’t be comfortable mentioning something along the lines of “successfully followed an exercise plan”. I am curious to hear your suggestions!

3 Likes

I would leave it off the CV. Instead keep your training experiences in reserve for when you are talking about yourself during an interview. Shows that you are deeper than your CV.

In all honesty, I wouldn’t brag about training. Just let the results speak for themselves and let people wonder.

8 Likes

I don’t think this belongs to a cv (unless you are applying for a job at TR :wink: ). During the interview when you are asked what your hobbies are (which some interviewers might), you may want to describe it, but even there I’d be careful, most people have no idea what structured training is and what it involves.

2 Likes

Actually I don’t think it’s too bad an idea, students often find it hard to reference experience especially when going for a first job.

How about something like…

“I have a methodical and reliable approach to completing tasks and duties. As an example, as part of my chosen sport of cycling, to achieve performance improvements I have to complete structured training workouts over a period of weeks, or even months.

I am always motivated to complete these fully as I understand that hard work and dedication produces results, and I will bring this ethic to my working role”

16 Likes

Some people like to throw statements around such as ‘I’m a committed person’ or ‘I always give 100%’. As a manager who interviews people, this means NOTHING to me. So what I’ll do is bring that topic up in the interview and expect them to clarify their statement.

Now, if you were sat across from me in an interview and you said that during one of the most difficult periods in recent history, you planned, committed to and completed something that really challenged you, I’d listen. I’d also be thinking, this person has shown commitment, regardless of relevance to the job.

Keep it as a possible talking point during any interviews. It’ll give you a chance to talk openly, the interviewer will get a real sense of you as a person and, see that you have hobbies and interests outside of your career. Good luck :+1:

11 Likes

Very good, and there’s a probability it will be read by a MAMIL (middle aged manager in lycra) (see post above😉)

To the OP-
Being given the opportunity to talk about something your are passionate about during an interview would do wonders for your confidence.

Good luck

5 Likes

Oh I don’t know… I’m reviewing candidate tests right now at my company and if I saw this I might add a cheeky bonus point :sweat_smile:

And below :laughing:

This and Pusherman’s post probably cover the best approach (as a reader of a reasonable number of CVs including from students and graduates). Use it as an example of your commitment and determination and if asked bring it up in context at interview. If I saw it in a CV I’d probably ask but that’s as much about getting a rounded picture of the individual. Being able to show that you have ‘non work’ related interests also helps even as an older candidate.

I also agree with @PusherMan. As a former student-athlete, I mentioned athletics on my resume breifly for the leadership aspect but the topic usually came up in conversations during interviews about managing academic workload while maintaining athletics commitment, etc. It’s certainly a good thing to have in your pocket but maybe more useful in conversation rather than directly on the CV.

1 Like

Thanks! I will include it as a conversation as that seems a bit more appropriate.

2 Likes

Do you want to write my CV for me :grin:

1 Like

Hi. I am up for tenure and promotion this year at my university. I kept it off my CV, but in the community engagement part of my self evaluation I mentioned a 145mile fundraiser ride that supports a summer camp that my university has a tie. Raised $1200 and then rode. All though these events are common, you do represent your employer among other people of various professions.

If asked at the tenure review I’ll mention TR as the tool that got me here and how it relates to goal setting and achievements. My courses have Chad like goals attached to every assignment.

I have plenty of professional fodder all over my documents but this can bring up interesting conversations.

1 Like

I think putting something that differentiates you from everyone else is a good thing to put on a Cv. Makes you stand out as a person, not just a piece of paper. Maybe add: avid cyclist, committed to structured training. And then can elaborate in interviews what that actually entails.

I got my first job out of college…in 1996, because I put on my cv that I was a member of the hackey sack club. :roll_eyes:

Lucky for me the partner for the firm was a hippie at heart and he just loved it and we talked about it in the interview.

I have had on my LinkedIn profile a picture of me racing cyclocross. I think it shows passion and commitment and not just another suit in a sea of suits.

1 Like

I do interviews pretty often and always ask about athletics if someone has mentioned it on their resume. People reveal a lot about themselves talking about things they’re interested in.

2 Likes