How do I get better at 1-3min power in the middle of threshold/sweetspot/tempo, aka avoid getting dropped on zwift race climbs?

Naa, I am not getting in my head. I am going to go and do just that, mess with it, tonight on my ride. I am just stuck at work right now and dont feel like working so I am playing with workout creator rather than doing what I should be. Its a poor replacement for training but a pretty good replacement for work.

3 Likes

ride on :+1:

Instead of 130% (or any % of FTP for that matter), I’d do whatever your (current/recent) 5 minute peak power is, but otherwise, yes.

1 Like

One thing I see with all of my custom workouts from workout creator is that progression levels are usually off by quite a bit relative to the TR workouts I still do. I wouldn’t use that as too much of a judge.

I have a similar issue in Zwift races where climbs are longer than a minute or two. I am not a light rider and end up in VO2 max territory on all Zwift climbs. I am, at best, mid pack in my category and can usually hang on one 4-5 minute climb but not multiple climbs. I usually need to race in over/territory until the climbs. I have assessed my options as (1) increase FTP, (2) decrease kg and increase W/kg or (3) build VO2 max repeatability and duration. I don’t have repeatability issues if the climbs are less than 2 minutes. What I am not sure about is whether progressing VO2 workouts that don’t start near threshold will help.

Over unders. Find long ones in the library and sprinkle them into your plan. Try to increase intensity 1% each over to really hammer it.

Quick question on these way overs/unders if I may…

I completed one of the sessions recommended above to start today - 45 sec/3 min @ 120%/85% - done as 2 sets of 5 reps or approx 2x20. I aimed for increased cadence for the overs and managed approx 100-105rpm, and then dropped to a more usual 90ish rpm for the unders. It felt a good session but I never really felt a build up of lactate or much of the ‘burn’ except briefly right at the end. It felt more like a vo2 session with me breathing fairly hard during the overs. Sitting here an hour after finishig I can ‘feel’ my legs and it feels like I’ve done a good bit of work, but I didnt experience the burn I was expecting.

Now I’m wondering if doing the overs at a lower (more usual) rpm migt create more lactate build up during the overs and hence force more of the lactate clearance effect we want during the unders?

Any thoughts?