How are people finding the TR Polarized plans?

You mention LT1 and its actual vs approximate measurement.
In an July 21 post:

Learning to recognise physical sensations associated with different levels of power

I posted my application of the Talk Test using the alphabet or mobile number as a test for approximate identification of the VT1 and VT2 borderlines, as useful measures for Polarised Training zones, ie, 80% below VT1, and up to 20% above VT2, not much at all between.
Not implying this measurement approach as being perfect, rather practical. Power tools are mere algorithmic estimators. Absolute FTP isn’t particularly important, whereas its progress for an individual over a training plan can be very useful.
Have you any experience of this Talk Test application to Polarised training zones?

1 Like

I use the talk test but do the alphabet test. Speak the alphabet out loud when Sat doing nothing. Make a note which letter you get to before needing a breath. Then repeat during your easy rides. If on your easy rides you can’t reach same letter before a breath and the letter you can reach is quite a few away, you are riding too hard. Speak alphabet at same speed don’t try and speed it up during your ride. After a while you’ll also get a very good feel for your breathing rates and where VT1 occurs.

1 Like

Never done polarised previously after about 4 years on TR (Sweet spot base, build, specialty etc) but just finishing a few weeks off for my off-season and about to start it in order to do some more strength training and running at same time. Let’s see how it goes, especially as only doing LV as only can fit in 3 rides per week. Will keep long ride and intense ride. Tempted to change the 1hr endurance ride to either a longer endurance ride, say 2hr (when time) or keep it at 1hr but change it to tempo/sweet spot (when only have 1hr to train). Plus strength and running.

1 Like

By all means extend duration but don’t increase intensity and still try and call it polarised.

Don’t give two hoots what call it to be honest, just fancy a change from sweetspot plans after several years and seeing if longer endurance rides instead of shorter more intense will provide a different stimulus. However a 60min z2 ride (when not fatigued) seems bit of a waste so tempo better if I feel well.

Tempo is just another name for the low end of Sweetspot. Back to what you’re already doing.

Not really if only doing 3 rides a week and substituting a 75-90 min sweetspot for 2-3hr endurance ride. When only doing 3 rides a week, that’s a pretty big change (let’s assume also do one V02 max type ride per week on both polarised and sweetspot plans low volume, and I change the 60 min sweetspot/threshold ride for a 60 min tempo ride).

Whatever you want to call that, is about as far from polarised as you can get.

Hello TR Crew,

I’ve been using the plan builder now for around probably 18 months non stop, and did have it scheduled through until May.

However I have had a bit of illness over winter, and my FTP and motivation seem to have dropped a little bit, so I’m thinking to try and change things around a bit.

Proper enjoyable outdoor rides for me in the UK won’t be happening for a couple of months yet, but that will help as well, combined with more daylight and warmer temperatures.

I’ve never tried one of the Polarised training plans, so just wondered what people thought about it, whether they had success, or whether it had re-invigorated them etc.

I’m not overly thinking right now about increasing my FTP, just maintaining it would do for the moment, though I will be looking to try and bump it up coming into the summer.

Timewise for the turbo, I probably have somewhere around 5 hours to spare per week - plus I will likely commute into work once a week, which is 2.5 hours on the bike, return journey.

Thanks

Dan

Thanks for the reply - it was the 8 week one I was thinking of as well.

Does AT mean at threshold?

Adaptive Training :+1:

1 Like

I’ve opted for the 8 week low volume plan, starting on the 30th, had a couple of workouts I wanted to complete Thursday and the weekend, and already carried out a workout yesterday.

That will take me up til the end of March, when I have a week off work AND a new bike to ride, so if that does not boost the motivation, I don’t know what will!

The longer endurance sessions I have put in for the weekend, and will try and complete the outside if at all possible - weather should be going up above freezing anytime soon hopefully.
Additionally if I am commuting into work and back, I’ll replace the other endurance session with that day too, so it may end up just one TR session on some weeks.

I already have AT switched on, so I don’t think I need to do anything for it to take effect for this training block?

I completed two 8 week Polarized MV blocks a few weeks ago. I enjoyed them and while it was mentally easier to only have one VO2, one Threshold, and the rest Endurance rides, it was not easy. The hard workouts are well…hard. My FTP went up 24 watts over the 16 weeks. I’m getting ready to start Sustained Power Build but I would do a Polarized block again. The workouts are a little boring but I don’t necessarily mind that.

3 Likes

I merged your post under the existing discussion as linked by @MI-XC

See above for plenty of feedback.

• Nothing else to do other than start training, answer the survey responses (including any outside workouts) and train on. :smiley:
1 Like

Anybody else finding themselves tired and unmotivated after a polarized training block? This is my third year trying out the plans with the two previous attempts being abandoned related to issues of saddle sores.

This year I completed base with no saddle sores and having a tough time getting motivated for the build block. Wondering if it’s related to my age (just turned 48) or something related to my physiology or mental toughness.

For background, I’m a middle of the pack age group full distance triathlon athlete. Coming up on my ninth ironman this year over 10 years. I have plenty of structured training experience. Been on the platform for more than 5 years and continue to love it.

I did Mid Vol POL Base with no issues and nearly completed Mid Vol POL Build until I got Covid in December. Other than that, I found it manageable and even enjoyable overall. Felt like less demand to me than some other TR plans in the past with just 2 dedicated hard days.

I happen to like the long easy rides on the trainer, and made use of that time to catchup on entertainment and reading to help pass the time, along with some dedicated group rides (robopacer in Zwift). And I just turned 49 in early Dec 2022, so age is close for comparison between us.

10 Likes

Mid 50’s and have done a couple rounds of HV Polarized Base and Build. I’ve also done HV SS base and build cycles too, for comparison.

For the kind of riding and racing that I enjoy such as long, climbing road races, hill climbs and TTS. I find polarized base and build works well leading into specialty phases like a HV Climbing Road Race plan. Whereas when I did SS base build going into the same climbing RR plan, I was a bit over cooked on mid-range energy system usage and a bit undercooked for the Threshold and VO2 energy systems. Nothing wrong with any particular plan or training approach, this is just what I’ve found is working for me now.

Interestingly, what I’m currently doing is also most similar to my training back in the 80’s and 90’s when racing P1/2 and working with a team coach. Back when it was all HR and RPE based.

I don’t find the endurance workouts on the trainer boring as I do what others have cited for entertainment/distraction. I also use rollers ( power meter on the bike) for Z2 workouts in TR which keeps the bike handling and core sharp.

6 Likes

I’ve found the same (I’m 50). But, I don’t mind 2-3 hour trainer rides. I find I have more energy and drive for my VO2/threshold workouts as well.

6 Likes

I’m 4 weeks into Mid Pol Build and feel the same. I may have previously burnt myself out after 6 straightr months of mid (5 days per week) normal training with TR and this almost feels easy in that it’s 1 fewer day and more simple in its approach. I have to trust that things will work out but I feel better about things mentally.

3 Likes

I’m a few weeks into Pol MV Build (after completing the Pol MV Base). I’ve found the new AT to be really good at finding me the right workout at the right time on this plan. I took most of December off and am working with an FTP that is about 10% lower after burning myself out with too much volume the last few months of 22. I’m realizing I’m much happier with longer workouts rather than short ones with too much intensity and a lower FTP instead of constantly pushing myself on the edge. The Pol MV plan also gives me more time to do strength and mobility work. You can argue that it’s not truly polarized or whatever, but I don’t care. My training is going great and I don’t feel like I’m constantly on the edge of my body getting sick or me skipping workouts for mental reasons. This is a completely different experience than when I tried to follow the Polarized plans when they first came out and I rode myself into the ground with a too high FTP.

11 Likes