Home Bike Maintenance [Tool List]

Very Nice!

Nice kits here! I’ve built up my toolkit over several years, only buying tools when I know I need them.

There’s tools I probably should buy, but find I’ve been able to get the job done without them. A few examples: I change cassettes, but no chain whip; build/true wheels, but no truing stand; set up all bikes tubeless, but no compressor. My next test will be changing a pres fit BB, without a rocket/press. So will see how that goes :grin:.

I hide a Carmex in my bathroom, my backpack, my car, and my toolbox. Life’s too short to have chapped lips :joy:

3 Likes

I’ve got a station opposite my trainer where I store and work on the bikes. I’m pretty happy with the layout, and I’ve got the tools I use most often on the bench. My work stand is right behind the bench, so everything is right handy. Just to the left of the work stand is where my trainer and bike sit when I’m doing indoor workouts.

Bench

I use these Silca hex tools more than anything probably…they are sooooo nice.

Hub and cassette maintenance here

Rim, spoke, and tubeless stuff here

The drawers hold older or less commonly used tools, like the 15 different bottom bracket tools you need those days…

These bins hold seasonal riding gear, and extra hard parts.

Stand and Hardtail

Charging station for lights and Di2

Shoes, helmets, riding and yoga gear here.

Old frame, and caps.

7 Likes

It’s not as well known in the US, but Papaw Ointment is a cure-all for all skin conditions, but is the king of lip restoration. If your current extreme-intense-no sugar-organic-rehydrating lip balm just isn’t cutting it, give Papaw a go.

https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-668680-Papaw-Ointment-25g/dp/B0076K07DC?th=1

2 Likes

@mellowdave those Silca hex tools are a thing of beauty. Good investment!

1 Like

I’ve got a pretty complete toolset…one comment on Allen keys - I’ve actually moved toward getting cheaper ones and replacing them more often…I had the park tool set for a while and even they round off eventually. So now I buy the 8.99 folding set at Lowe’s and just replace them every 12 mos. or so.

Im not so worried about my tools rounding off, and much more concerned with soft tools damaging expensive bolts!

disclaimer: I’m not a ‘home’ mechanic so it’s not worth me ruining other peoples components…

1 Like

I keep a cheap set around in the drawer for dealing with crappy or questionable heads, but I don’t have any problems with newer and well maintained hex or torx fittings rounding my tools if make sure they are fully inserted and work carefully. We’re never talking about a lot of torque on bike parts. I’ve got ratchet hex tools in a different tool box for the motorcycles and car parts.

1 Like

100% agree with this. Tiny titanium screws get threaded so easily and are a pain to fix. I have the small screws on my brake thread and they had to get drilled out at the LBS, requiring the brake to need replacing. Very expensive lesson.

I completely agree, I really only commonly work on my own bikes, but I have four kids, parts are expensive, I don’t like spending money due to ham fistedness.

I’ve gotten a few things from Silca and they’ve all been of almost obscene quality. I’d like to pick up their new tri-tool for the mobile kit in the car, and I keep the roll up torque tool in my seat pack on the bike.

My workhorse tools come from Unior, and I love 'em… This pic was taken of them after 4 years full time, daily use in a busy workshop. I’ve just replaced them this month with a new set and these have gone into my ‘on the road’ toolkit (sorry I know its not home maintenance but I wanted to play!).

2 Likes

Your picture brings up a good point on storing small parts. You’ve got them in little jars, for quick access, and I keep mine in magnetic spice holders from IKEA stick to my bench. I can then move them over to the work stand and stick them to it if I’m say replacing all the cables on a bike, and want my cable ends at the ready or something like that.

They have clear screw off lids so I don’t need to label them or anything.

1 Like

Very nice. I do like proper compartmentalised storage :wink:

3 Likes

I reckon most folk will think you’ve got the thing nailed! :+1:

1 Like

@nico_synergy, what cable cutters are you using? I have the park version, but I have a hard time keeping it cutting square, I hear that’s a common complaint with them.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I own a set of Park cutters and after 18 months they were next to useless, causing cables to fray.

My goto cutters now are by Jagwire, they’ve lasted well so far.

Interesting. How much cable changing do you do?

I’ve found my park cutters excellent and they tend to do maintenance work on 4-5 bikes between me, wife, brother and a friend I do occasional bits and pieces for.

I seem to have acquired quite a collection over the years, realised earlier this year that I have 4 different BB tools as all my bikes have different types of BB. Park tool stuff is great, but X-tools make some good stuff, I couldn’t justify buying the park tool headset press due to the price and how infrequently I’d use it. Bought the x tools one instead and it’s been great, a well made tool

As I alluded to earlier, I probably shouldn’t be commenting in this thread as I’m not a ‘home’ mechanic…

On average, I probably replace and cut about 12 inners and 5 or 6 outers a day so my tools get a good amount of use.

1 Like