High Heart Rate, Elevation and Tapering, AWC and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 360

Coach Chad, Amber, Nate, and Jonathan discuss what causes high heart rate during training, the effect of altitude on tapering and the specialty phase of training, anaerobic work capacity and much more in Episode 360 of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast!

Tune in Thursday at 8:00am Pacific!

Youtube Live Video:

Topics Covered in This Episode

• 6:53 What causes high heart rate during training?
  • 24:38 Why tubeless tires are not fixing flats in road races and the hosts’ thoughts on Paris Roubaix
  • 48:55 The effects of altitude on tapering
  • 59:20 What is Anaerobic Work Capacity
  • 01:25:04 How to motivate a group to work together

Resources mentioned in this episode:

Human cardiovascular adjustments to exercise and thermal stress.

Fluid replacement and glucose infusion during exercise prevent cardiovascular drift

Dehydration markedly impairs cardiovascular function in hyperthermic endurance athletes during exercise

Supine exercise restores arterial blood pressure and skin blood flow despite dehydration and hyperthermia

Stroke volume during exercise: interaction of environment and hydration

Sea-Level Exercise Performance Following Adaptation to Hypoxia

Is heart rate a convenient tool to monitor over-reaching? A systematic review of the literature

Combining Hypoxic Methods for Peak Performance

There is no anaerobic work capacity replenishment at critical power intensity: An indirect evidence

The mechanistic bases of the power-time relationship: Muscle metabolic responses and relationships to muscle fibre type

Short intervals induce superior training adaptations compared with long intervals in cyclists - an effort-matched approach

TrainerRoad Podcast Network

Submit your Question to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

Subscribe to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

Subscribe to the Successful Athletes Podcast

Submit your story to the Successful Athletes Podcast

Subscribe to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast

Submit a topic to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast

2 Likes

Looking fwd to this topic.

I liked the podcasts where you interviewed athletes preparing to do kona or leadvillle. I especially liked the ones where you asked everyone the same questions.

3 Likes

Note about road bike tyre inserts:
you can definitely ride on them in my experience.
Raced last year in the Haute Route Alps, had 2x punctures in the first 2x stages (front and rear wheel). In both stages I managed to get to the checkpoint on a flat tyre, basically doing half of a descent (Colombiere and Roselend) on the Vittoria Airliners (terrifying experience though in the turns). The very low pressure was a problem on the climb (wasted watts on the Col de Rommes) but overall thanks to the airliners I managed to stay in the contention for the top10 in the GC, while without them the 2x punctures would have meant a big time stop for the fix and end of any GC ambition.
Unfortunately it was impossible to repair the flat or remove and change the tyre without cutting it in half with scissors once the airliner activated (operation done by Mavic mechanics).

So overall: useful for racing, very expensive when needed, but might save you the A priority race that you prepared so much. Would never use it for training though.

1 Like

Yeah the original (plus Amber) and best podcast crew!!!

1 Like

Just started listening. Love @Nate_Pearson 's idea about the product updates etc. I love hearing about where things are going and why. Like hearing about Analysis tools, FTP prediction, etc etc. And how the user base uses these tools and validates the information.

With regards athlete interviews. I generally really like to hear from the Pro’s, but don’t really enjoy the age-group interviews etc. I appreciate that there are many that think the exact opposite so I don’t think you are going to be able to please everyone there. For my 2c, the successful athletes pod is a terrific spot for the amateurs, I really like hearing from the TR adjacent pro’s on the AACC pod especially as they have the relationship with the hosts and are generally a bit more honest, open, and genuine than they might otherwise be with that information in another situation.

Thanks for another great podcast everyone.

Loved Nate’s insight into CEO’s and risk avoidance. Great conversation.

Also loved the thoughts on tubeless inserts in general and Jon’s insight into different properties of mtb inserts.

I’d like to hear more on why tubeless sealant isn’t fixing more flats on its own for the pros (besides Roubaix, which is a whole different animal). For most of us casual riders, when you get a puncture, you get a little spray and the sealant solves the problem. Inserts would be an extra layer of protection, but for road and gravel racing, shouldn’t sealant be solving most of the punctures in the peloton?

1 Like

The discussion about innovation in cycling this week is why I like the longer format. With extra time a better, less rushed discussion happens. Sure it may not be the essential info but I love hearing the thought process of pros, geeks, and experienced coaches when discussing a debated topic.

I’ll leave everyone to decide who is who in the listing order lol.

4 Likes

My guess, why tyre inserts might be a too big of a sacrifice for safety in pro racing would be, that maybe they cause too much rolling resistance.
At least in Triathlon racing, not the safest tires are used but the fastest. Even a thin race light inner tube causes a higher rolling resistance due to friction between the tyre and the inner tube. Maybe it’s the same with a tyre insert?

This is also why I prefer the shorter format. I want the discussion like this without the other stuff :metal:

Agree, but maybe put in in the successful athletes podcast? Seems like it might fit better there.

1 Like

I still find Jonathan’s observations on the sensations of the inserts to be really curious. He’s a far, FAR better mountain biker than me, so I bow to his opinion, but I find the CushCore/foam noodle comparison to be the opposite. The CushCore is more like running less pressure with high ramp up at the end of your travel, the noodles (Pepi PTN in my experience so far) ramps up quicker and is like hitting the bump stop.

I have a tubolight in the post right now to go on with my new wheels so I will see if that is different. It certainly looks like a different foam.

I still wouldn’t run CushCore in my XC wheels, the weight difference to the PTN is too significant. I run them on the trail wheels with a pair of DHR’s and think they are a better insert when it comes to holding the bead and progressive bottom out prevention.

Interesting that the road ones are “run-flat” approved, but the MTB ones don’t seem to be. I think you could on the PTN etc, but it’d be toast by the time you got home. I think you’d have to be pretty good at building wheels/get free wheels to be wanting to hit too many roots/rock relying only on the noodle.

The tannus tubed inserts restrict tire carcass movement and as a result are very slow with poor ride feel. The point of running lower pressures is to let your tire move and conform to the surface in order to move faster forward instead of up and down. The foam directly against the tire works really poorly but is great for flat protection. They make more sense on a commuter or other non-performance setting if you just really hate flats.

I am not sure if someone commented on this (couldn’t find it). That fancy new adjustable tire pressure system was actually not used in Paris-Roubaix. They were going to use it but ended up not. I didn’t find an article (or podcast) explaining why. I am assuming (along with those who are much more knowledgeable about cycling tech) that it was just not quite ready.

Enjoyed this podcast except where Jonathan continues to insist red hit chili’s isn’t music haha. RHCP is one of those bands that directly affected the music industry :open_mouth:

1 Like

What?! I’m going to pray :pray:t2: for him and all that need some School of Rock salvation. That that calls for deep tracks 3 song block from BSSM - Mellowship Slinky in B Major, The Righteous & the Wicked, and Give it Away.

1 Like