Headphones on the Road

Yep. And frankly…if I’m on my bike…I’d rather take my chances with somebody that is half a beer over the legal limit than a teenager checking facebook.

2 Likes

Great point. Tire noise is still there (and arguably more detectable than engine noise) but the point stands that cars are continually getting quieter, and listening for their noise is not a reliable safety measure.

We could imagine that remote detection devices, like garmin’s varia, will begin to provide better solutions to this problem. These devices might actually utilize an earpiece or headphone to signal approaching vehicles. This would allow the cyclist to be informed while keeping their eyes on the road.

Now if only car manufacturers could step up their game and provide the technology to help drivers identify cyclist, or any road user for that matter, more quickly and reliably.

I’m not sure I agree - in many cases the obstacles (cyclists, pedestrians) are very visible, but you can’t see what you’re not looking for because you’re distracted doing something else. Trying to fix lack of attention by technological aids creates an even less attentive driver.

2 Likes

I agree to a large extent. I dont think an in the middle approach works - where a driver is ‘assisted’ by the car.

Driverless technology is getting awfully close to be a solution. IMO when it IS proven to be more effective than a human driver, it should be mandated that all street legal cars dont even come with a steering wheel anymore. Would solve a whole host of issues…

1 Like

I guess I’m more optimistic about the potential for increased safety through tech advances than driver behavior. Influencing driver behavior (laws? media campaigns?) seems like a tough hill to climb. I actually kind of like the idea of completely inattentive people in autonomous cars that can detect cyclist with better accuracy than human eyes.

But I generally agree that this wouldn’t even be an issue if all drivers actually cared more about not endangering others than their own convenience.

I’ve had more issues with cars turning left (USA) in front of me. Or cars stopped at a two way intersection and don’t see me. So, a front blinking white light in the day has proven as vital as a rear red light.

Headphones are a little ways down my list of things I worry about when out on the road. All the pictures I’ve seen of riders hit from behind I simply don’t see how it was avoidable other than not riding.

3 Likes

I am quite involved in autonomous vehicles development. The holy grail is not that simple; simpler problems are getting solved - in-city, constrained environments, etc. But the go-anywhere-anytime generic solution is still far. And dependence on partial technology solutions has negatives - do you see anyone looking behind them when driving in reverse in a car anymore? If the cameras and sensors don’t see you, you’re toast. The driver won’t strain his neck. Bikes and pedestrians approaching from the side better watch out for themselves.

3 Likes

As for the initial question - headphones - the answer is simple in many jurisdictions. It’s illegal. Whether I agree (which I happen to) or disagree is a moot point.

1 Like

Good point.

So what is to be done? I can’t see gov stepping in to make roads that much safer for cyclists anytime soon (US)(and we’re still trying, I’m involved with the cycling advocacy group in my state).

What do you think about safety tech from the cycling side then?

And, returning to the thread, are headphones really that consequential to any of this?

Road layout is one big help - that’s how governments can help the most. You can’t hit what’s not in your way.

I’ll refer to my aerospace past experience - anything that improves situational awareness helps. Garmin’s Varia is a good example. And…

… the more senses are involved, the better one can anticipate risks and avoid issues.

2 Likes

Not to be dismissive…but frankly I am unconcerned/do not view as legitimate any law as it relates to cyclist behavior. Society, and the law, and enforcement of laws has made it very, VERY clear that the feelings and convenience of drivers is more important than the lives of cyclists. I do not accept that premise as a basis for current laws of any kind for cyclists. The decisions I make on a bike are done for safety, not to comply with any law.

1 Like

Where are you? In the USA the majority of states they are not regulated.

1 Like

Québec.

1 Like

@rocourteau ah ouin! dans quel coin? J’aurais du m’en douter avec ton nom de famille

In my case, i use the aftershokz… they’re a godsend. I tried single earbud and didnt like it much
I would commute with the aftershokz without a problem. My early morning joyrides would go by faster too but thats only when i ride alone. With other people I don’t have any devices, i already have enough trouble hearing them with windnoise lol

1 Like

MTL- rive Nord.

In Virginia, only one earbud is allowed for cyclists, which I think is a fair compromise.

I do solo rides with one earbud in sometimes. Group rides I don’t wear them.

I get more awareness of what’s coming up behind from the Varia radar.

1 Like

I just got a set of aftershocks! I havent had a chance to try them out yet, but am really looking forward to it. I plan to start bike commuting to work again this spring. It’s about 15 miles, 90% on a secluded bike path through a forest preserve…perfect for podcasts.

1 Like

Situational awareness is very important to me to stay safe on the road. I use aftershocks headphones (aeropex) the older version wasn’t comfortable for longer rides but these are great. Sounds quality is fine. Sure, in a quiet environment at home in ear headphones are much better but the road isn’t quiet so you won’t really notice.

Hearing in stereo is important in knowing what’s around you, helps with knowing the position of the sound source. Why do you think first person shooter games who want every advantage use good quality headphones? They do it to hear where the bad guys are. Kind of want that in the real world too

1 Like

If you want a detailed review from people who like sound quality

1 Like

I can’t imagine riding without them now. You’ll love them