Have I made the right choice on these HUNT wheel-sets?

Yesterday I decided to up grade my stock wheel-set that came with my Caadx SE19. This year as things will open up more, I will be mainly racing gravel 100km+. I am 93kg

Okay so, I decided on buying with HUNT I like them as a company etc etc. My choices where between alloy:

HUNT GRAVEL RACE DISC WHEELSET - 25 DEEP | 26 WIDE EXT | 22 WIDE INT | 1459G - €609

https://eu.huntbikewheels.com/products/gravel-race-disc-wheelset

And the carbon

HUNT 35 CARBON GRAVEL DISC X-WIDE WHEELSET - 35 DEEP | 30 WIDE EXT | 23 WIDE INT | 1548G - €939

https://eu.huntbikewheels.com/collections/gravel-wheels/products/hunt-carbon-gravel-disc-x-wide-wheelset?variant=31723705630775

A price difference of 330 euros. My riding style is more mashing and grinding.

appreciate your feedback!

Thanks

Personally with the rough and tumble of Gravel riding I’d go for alloy but that is probably a lack of confidence in my skills and if I had more confidence and could afford it (not worry about their replacement cost either, which would be less likely needed if I was confident) I would go for Carbon.

1 Like

Or you could get some carbon Farsports with good hubs for a similar price to the alloy Hunts. I’ve been running these for 4 years over very rough terrain without any issues whatsoever.

4 Likes

I’ve got the carbon wheel set that you reference above, it’s good, especially at that price point so recommended. For me I’d go carbon every time now, the differential between carbon and alloy has closed to the point that it’s invariably worth the premium.

Different discussion a few years back when we were talking £2k+ for carbon wheels…

1 Like

Go with the carbon.

1 Like

There is zero need to baby carbon wheels, especially when they are explicitly marketed as gravel wheelsets.

4 Likes

I actually find my carbon mtb wheels seem to hold up better than my alloy ones.

2 Likes

Unless you’re doing downhill with drops off big boulders I wouldn’t worry. Even if you were they’d probably still hold up. Carbon is great these days as well as aluminum,IMO. Can’t go wrong with Hunt wheels I’ve had a great experience with mine ( 2 year old wheelset still holding strong).

1 Like

Can’t offer any help in the choice. But I will say that Hunt’s customer service seems stellar!
My friend have had a set of their alloy XC wheelsets for a couple of seasons. Noticed a small crack around one of the spoke nipples. Hunt sent him a new right away, no questions asked! They even foot the bill of the local shop who will build the new rim onto the existing hub.

That’s the general feeling that I have but I just need to convince myself :joy:

1 Like

The only anecdotal problem Ive heard about Hunt is that they are a victim of their own success (a reliable and well specc’d product at a good price etc) which makes their shipping times long. I forget how long my mate said he was waiting for dispatch but myself I didn’t find it was too long and I’m really pleased with the wheels.

I decided on the Carbon!!

2 Likes