Has Anyone Used "The Pro's Closet" to Sell a Road Bike?

I submitted my bike late last year, and they said they had too many Ti bikes, so no go. I just resubmitted and will see what they say this time. I posted it to SF Craigslist, and I have someone interested, but hoping to get a bit more.

I tried setting up a Facebook account to use Facebook marketplace, but Facebook said my email address was already on an account that violated their terms of service and wouldn’t let me create an account. #!#$%W$SRT$#%^W$ idiots, as I’ve owned the email account for several years, and never used it with Facebook.

1 Like

If you get FB straightened out, look at a group called, “Online swap meet for cycling and triathlon”. Have had good luck there. Buyers seem to know cycling well enough and have reasonable money.

Nope - Facebook won’t reverse their *&(^(*TYIUYGIUYGUY idiotic decision, so no go. I even tried going back to the email address I previously used on Facebook, and got the same response.

I just put it up on eBay with no reserve. The trick is to just package it the day you list it, rather than waiting until it sells. That way it’s easy to just slap on a label and drop it off.

Totally understand the annoyance factor though and honestly most of the time it’s worth it to receive a little less money and not have to deal with the hassle.

1 Like

A few years ago, I sold my Specialized S-Works Venge to a guy in CO. There was a thread here a few months ago about a potential fake Venge. I was googling images to highlight what a real Venge looked like and I came across this…

THAT WAS MY BIKE!! Guess the guy who bought it then sold it to The Pro’s Closet at some point.

A couple questions.

2015 Trek Domane 6.2 Disc with the 600 series OCLV carbon ($5000 retail back in Dec 2015). Signs of normal wear and tear however it was serviced at least once a year by Trek dealers and last time by ex tour mechanic.

Upgrades:

• Shimano 105 ST-R7000 shifter/brake levers
  • Shimano Ultegra FD-R8000 front derailleur
  • Shimano Ultegra RD-R8000 rear derailleur (GS cage)
  • fenders
  • new cables, brake hosing, bar tape, and bottom bracket

Anyone have an idea of fair price? I’ve submitted to Pros Closet even though selling Santa Cruz MTB in 2015 via Craigslist was overall positive experience. Seems easier except for the packing part, although I do have the box from my new bike.

Second question, any suggestions on pricing a Stages left crank arm power meter and a Stages dual-sided Ultegra 8000 full crank with power meter?

And after buying a SRAM bike, need to figure out best way to sell new-in-box Shimano MT900 rotors, J03A pads, 11-25 8000 series cassette, and Ultegra chain… I’m thinking its easiest to first post on a couple local club groups (Meetup/Strava)?

1200-1500

Sell the parts on Facebook if you are on it. Be gone pretty fast. Same with the power meters. Stages is so far behind you’ll be able to sell them pretty quickly and for a solid price.

1 Like

People sell those close to retail these days. Maybe 10-20% below if you feel generous.

1 Like

LBS manager told me to try Facebook Marketplace but I don’t do FB, so he offered to sell them for me on FB at a 50% commission :rofl:

The Ultegra 6800 left crank arm was purchased Oct 2016, I’m thinking $200 for that one.

The Ultegra 8000 is full crankset with 4 rings (53x39, 50, 36) and dual-sided. Doing a Craigslist search of everything north of Santa Barbara - Bakersfield, I’m seeing a couple full cranksets single-sided (not dual) for $400 asking. Hmm, switching to San Diego-Los Angeles-Las Vegas search and one Dura Ace dual-sided for $899. Mine was $750 plus another 200-ish for the two chainrings. Temporarily sold-out on Stages at $730. Thinking I’ll set a floor of $550, buyer picks from 53x39 or 50x36, and list above that.

1 Like

Partly related, a visit by JOM to the PC:

Sold my Trek Domane for for what I believe was top dollar to Pro’s Closet. A little drama with getting a box that fit (seat mast), and luckily my LBS happened to have received a same size Trek Checkpoint and let me take the box.

Here is the bike ready to drop into the box:

Those brake lever boxes were gold :ok_hand: As well as the foam padding and cardboard to separate bike and front tire. Home Depot and $8 for the pipe insulation to protect the frame.

They received the bike today, and 30 minutes later I had the money in my PayPal account :moneybag: Would definitely recommend submitting an offer if you are looking to sell a bike.

7 Likes

Sold my Hightower and Kenevo to them. Pretty painless.

Was originally going to sell locally, but didn’t want to risk any weirdos (who aren’t serious about buying) coming by my house or work and casing the joint.

2 Likes

Anyone bought or sold from them recently?
Glad to see that some folks got nice offers/sales earlier, but their pricing and direction seems pretty out of whack lately.

$8k for some sort of special edition Bianchi? Um ok…

but one that has a big unpainted repair? LOL

Had a pretty low demand bike (2019 Kona Satori DL in XL with i9 Enduro wheelset), no offers locally, got offers that were within what I had hoped to get locally; my daughter needed to size up an adult extra small cross bike and I found something nice so will use the credit, once I track down a box big enough to fit the Satori (even with air out of tires, shock, and fork, still need a box at least 65" to fit). Very happy with the experience. My favorite LBS is their local partner, which is another vote in their favor in the future.

I saw an article recently that Bike Flights is selling boxes. Not sure if you can hold out for a free one from the shop, but if you need a fast solution, that could be one.

That black band is likely a carbon repair from Broken Carbon. Plenty strong, just not very nice to look at.

Yup that was listed in the description.

Thanks–I in fact have a large Bike Flights box that I’d gotten for something else, and it’s only 58".

I wish I still had the box for his XXL Canyon cross bike–THAT would have worked.

1 Like

Anyone know of other groups like Pro’s Closet out there? I’ve used them once for a contemporary bike, but wondering if anyone has copied the model with focus on older/ vintage type gear?