Go to Oatmeal Recipes?

It’s an absolute hack @RobertSims! Glad you liked it. I agree, it’s the perfect heavier carb snack to take on the ride and to consume early on. Hope lots of people cotton on to it! It’s definitely helped me fuelling for century rides lately! Haha and that’s the issue I find too … I make a loaf but it’s gone because the wife and kids have it for brekkie or in their lunch boxes as a healthy snack at school/work. My little loves putting some peanut butter on it lately and having it as a post nap snack! Super healthy for the whole family and like you said, a great onboard ride food … very happy to share it with fellow cyclers who also question how to fuel those longer rides with more wholesome foods.

Ps: love your alteration! I’m writing a few of those alterations down so I can try them myself

2 Likes

Anyone tried to slice and freeze this to keep it longer? I assume it’d be ok, I do that with muffins all the time.

1 Like

Yep I do this @rocourteau. I have a frozen loaf in the freezer most weeks. I slice it before freezing it and then take a slice out the night before a ride.

2 Likes

Pretty simple recipe before a big ride or run:

80g old fashioned Quaker oats (not the instant kind)
10k Kerrigold butter
2.5 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 tsp honey

Has ALWAYS been my go to for preride fuel, and it works great. This is even my pre-race meal, and I usually add in some Fairlife Choc milk to drink

Tried this today but think I undercooked it. It’s very dense!

1 Like

Yeah, either undercooked or too much yoghurt or a combination of both! Very easy to do!

We are currently locked down here in Melbourne because of Covid. Can’t leave home except for a few exceptions and have to be within 5km of home.

So, cycling outside is all but done for a week or so. Decides to cook up another loaf today. Thought I may as well knock off the PRL full badge on Zwift on Friday so I’ll need to fuel for that one! This time I added a touch of maple syrup, some buckwheat cereal to crunch it up a bit and also some psyllium husk and chia. Ready to rock … albeit locked down inside and having to reside to interval work on the Kickr for the next week! Oh well, atleast I’ll be well fueled for my long rides indoors.

3 Likes

Ok, I’m kinda intrigued - any recipes/ links? Particularly the marmite (or it will be bovril in my case!)

I tend to take a KISS approach…

Porridge:

• 1 scoop oatmeal
  • 2 scoops milk
  • 1 scoop water
  • 80g of frozen berries

Microwave for 2.5 minutes. Stir. Microwave for another 2.5 minutes (watching near the end for spillover)

• I scoop of whey (plus flavour drops sometimes to mix it up)
  • Handful of nuts (normally almonds)

Overnight Oats:

• 1 scoop porridge
  • 1 scoop milk
  • 1 scoop yogurt
  • 1 scoop whey
  • 80g frozen berries
1 Like

Now you’re talking.

3 Likes

I guess I am old school. Bobs Red Mill quick cook, a banana, and then two table spoons of Kodiak Almond or PD syrup.

I have found that my body seems to do much better on oats than just about any other breakfast for how I feel on the bike.

HUMP

1 Like

Old school, a bit, but not compared to what they do in scotland :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

This is my new favorite thread

2 Likes

Breakfast is no-cook-porridge:

Oats, pre-mixed with chia and milled linseed
Maybe a handful of fruit and nut mix
Fresh fruit, (chopped up or grated if its not berries)
Pour hot water over and leave for 1-2 minutes
Add some milk and a spoonful of brown sugar
Eat!

I dont think they call it oatmeal either. Porridge.

3 Likes

Glad I asked the question and love all of the extra ideas. Tried a few already and loved them.

Went to a restaurant recently that had fried steel cut oats, pretty awesome savory option. Soaked to the consistency of al senate farro, then drained and pan fried with some hearty greens and other odds and ends. I’ve got it as close as I can without the salt and fat of a restaurant meal, but still a great addition to the dinner rotation.

Experimented today and made some Apple, Oat and Date energy bars. Loving the porridge bread but needed an addition for the tail end of the ride with a bit more sugar in it (the apple, the dates and a bit of Agave). These are absolutely fantastic! Not only are they super tasty and the family loves them as well but they are fantastic as a side-kick to porridge bread out on the road. Not dense and they taste great.

Side note: I find that I am cycling much better having home made healthy whole foods than relying on gels and bars from a packet.

3 Likes

Throwing in a curveball… but, I’ve been having ‘rice porridge’, made using rice flakes - just as tasty but easier (for me at least) to digest!

When I have oats, I have been leaning towards the baked versions similar to those above

Erghhh! You be banished! Joking.

I’ve come across coconut flour recently. Using this thickens it up like a brick but tastes fantastic.

1 Like