Garmin Training API - TrainerRoad outside workouts coming to Garmin Edge headunits

What app is that? I like the visual presentation of the intervals, my intervals app is way clumsier. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

anything for bryton 530?
will garmin edge integration fit garmin 735xt?

Yes this is a good feature. I used to use this WAY back on a Garmin edge 500 and Garmin Connect.

If there is an option in the API - I hope they are made clearly distinguishable

The is awesome, @Nate_Pearson Forerunner 735/935 be supported too? (Sorry for the duplicate question as ai asked this on the original outside workout thread)

1 Like

This is awesome news, looking forward to seeing the finished product. One question, will this work for indoor training rides as well? It would be awesome to have my Garmin control my trainer for workouts and have one less device to set up before workouts since my Garmin is already attached to my bike.

It’s the Garmin Connect mobile app. You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

If it isn’t too premature, are there any screenshots that can be shared of either or both platforms with TR?

If you let it fully discharge and then recharge that usually fixes that issue, for a little while anyway.

I still miss my Edge 500, but when it got to the point where it took about a minute of fumbling to get any of the buttons to work because the springs inside them had broken, it was time to say goodbye

2 Likes

That’s right. The list of supported devices indicates it’s not a Connect IQ app, it’s simply a standard API to push workouts in the already-existing format Garmin uses. Some developers had hacked this quite some time ago (you can create and download workouts from SportTracks’ desktop app, for example), but Garmin has standardized and opened an API to do this.

The on-device format will be exactly what you already see when you create a workout with Garmin Connect, download it to the device and execute it.

In theory it could - this is just a way to get a workout to your device. You can already do that (create a workout on Connect, load it to your head-unit or watch, and run it from there).

1 Like

Great to see that you are also planning on doing something for Lezyne after Garmin and Wahoo are sorted thought there for a minute I was going to have to go buy a new headunit.

@Nate_Pearson, will the Garmin API allow you to push FTP to the Garmin connect account? And am I right in assuming that the outside workouts have such broad ranges in part because that allows easy matching with zones in Garmin connect rather than the more subtle wattage targets of indoor workouts?

From DCR:
“Even more, is that this actually opens it up to really old devices. For example – this will actually work all the way back to the Garmin Edge 500 now. And there’s countless other non-Connect IQ compatible devices this will work with too (as long as it supports custom workouts).”

So this does not depend on Connect IQ, it only depends on the device supporting custom workouts, which most mid- to high-end Garmin devices do.

Connect allows FTP-based zones, so I assume these would be used.

I would really love to do the indoor workouts using my 820 instead of a phone or tablet. Will this be an option?

That is, if I can get my 820 screen to quit turning blue, on the 4th unit now.

4 Likes

If you can (today) create a workout in Connect, load it to your 820, and run a trainer session on that workout, then the answer to your question is yes. The Garmin API simply allows a 3rd-party app to load a custom workout onto the device, rather than doing it in Garmin Connect. It has no bearing on running the workout itself.

1 Like

I think the question was triggered by @Nate_Pearson specifically saying you can push the outdoor variants. There might be reasons why the indoor variants won’t have that option though I’m not sure what they would be. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I assume this fits with the direction TR has taken - indoor workouts are not (necessarily) designed with outdoor feasibility in mind. I assume they will have a “push to device” option only for outdoor variants, although technically there is no difference, from an API or device standpoint, between an indoor or an outdoor workout.

I can understand that TR would not want to push indoor workouts onto the devices, as this would create an easy breach in their walled garden of services: if I have all the workouts I need on Connect and/or my device, why would I pay a subscription? (Of course the answer is in the terms of use of TR).

1 Like