Garmin HR belt monitor only lasts 1 year?

It does an additional thing called “respiration rate” as well - which is available when paired with an Edge unit.

I’m pretty sure this is calculated on the head unit itself from the HR data (looking specifically at HR variability), rather than transmitted natively from the strap.

I didn’t know that (https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=2yEgS0Pax53UDqUH7q4WC6). I initially got the Garmin HRM to get the running dynamics data. But given that I don’t run at all these days - it’s just for HR data.

Same Garmin HRM for almost 6yrs. Only swap the battery when needed. Original strap replaced at around 3yrs.

Hand rinse in sink after use. Machine wash once every few months if I remember.

I’ve never washed the belt. Didn’t occur to me you need to, but that may have caused a problem.
Got a new one now which works fine (for a year, I hope :rofl:

Are they compatible with garmin?

Yep…its ANT+ /bluetooth…you pair it just like any other hr strap.

Washing instructions are on the strap. Hand and machine wash to increase lifespan of the strap. I’ve had both Garmin and Wahoo straps, the Garmins are better for multiple reasons IMHO.

I have two garmin hr straps. They seem to work great for me. The more salt I perspire onto them, the better they work! Actually, I usually wash it in the shower after a workout. Occasionally I throw it in the washing machine after removing the sensor.

I have the older plastic version of the Garmin which I believe you can still find. It’s 5 or 6 years old. Seems indestructible.

I have used my Garmin HR monitor 5 years now.

Battery replacement takes all of 60 seconds every couple years.