Garmin and TR FTP's -- big difference

Some folk (including me) suck at a ramp test (probably because the lie outside the central 75% of the population who it works well for) and can hold more on a more consistent effort. I got better results pre season using a 20mins test and AIFTP D seems to mirror that. It could be up to 50w more than my ramp results; although in training I found it a little too high and I could get dragged into the ERG spiral of death if not 100% on it. Garmin seems to predict something in the middle for me. At the moment I’m using a fixed FTP number closer to the Garmin and it seems to delivering the correct results in terms of RPE and HR and avoids me getting dragged into the spiral of death.

I find it hard to separate a disdain for pain and discomfort in evaluating what seems right. TR ramp derived seems low based on how much work I have put in, Garmin seems higher than what is possible…so maybe I am like you @HLaB .

1 Like

Screenshot is from this morning doing the work out SCHOEN, 6x 2 minutes ranging from 121%-124%. My tr FTP is 325, I wouldn’t say it felt all out. I’m on my second week of build so there’s some fatigue in my legs. Just pointing out an example that my garmin 530 gives ftp estimates off of 2 minute intervals.
Sorry for the blurry photo, didn’t realize it was or I’d have gotten a clearer picture :joy: (it says 323)

2 Likes

Did you do the workout on your Garmin?

I run the TrainerRoad workout on my iPad and dual record on my garmin 530. I like doing that too see how it affects the garmin training status and other metrics.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks. That makes sense.

I went through what to do with that earlier this year and have so far only done TR on phone/tablet or Garmin outdoors. I’ve never gotten an FTP prompt from my TR workouts etc, only outdoor rides. Garmin updates my Training Load and Status fine though.

I might try the dual recording and see what happens.

1 Like

That’s why I record dual…I like both sets of data and analysis.

2 Likes

I get them on indoor rides as well as outdoor rides. For example 6 weeks ago I received a 530 ftp estimate after a 1 hour indoor endurance ride. Just a simple zone2 ride with some cadence work.

But you record all rides on your 530, yeah?

yup. I bought into the TR podcast’s “reduce cognitive load” big time - the 530’s grey bars is my UI for all indoor and outdoor workouts.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s fair. I feel like it’d be more effort than its worth for me to do my TR indoor workouts on the 530 though. I don’t like the workout screen anywhere near as much, and I (think) would have to find a way of creating them as workouts.

I could of course do them as Outdoor Workout versions and rely on WLV2 to adapt the plan appropriately. This would work well for giving me a lot more credit for the volume I add on, but is a super clunky way of administrating the training.

All that said, I think I’d like to feed the Garmin system more data and so I’ll try dual record after my A-Race this weekend. I really rate the metrics so far and it makes you work well so long as I remember to stop both devices post ride :sweat_smile:

1 Like

While on TR I dual recorded for awhile, then went all in on 1 workout UI to rule them all. At first it was weird, but then quickly it was so much easier not having to mess around with phones or computers. TrainingPeaks provides a range target, which I use to provide a more reasonable “green” target zone on the 530 than with TR. However in a pure TR workflow the TR app is (unsurprisingly) better than a bike computer. However driving it from TP, that is another story IMHO.

Give dual recording a try, it worked well for me.

1 Like

Garmin claims that it has to be outdoors for FTP (at least for the 1030) but for VO2max its seems to be just as likely to be calculated indoors or out. There was a bug for a bit where VO2max wasn’t anylonger calculated indoors and to get round that you had to full the unit into thinking it was outside even though you were inside (GPS on). I’m dubious about its steady hard effort for 20minutes though, as it seems to calculate on rides for me where my hr barely goes above 70% for any length of time :exploding_head:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge1030/EN-US/GUID-FE083050-1431-41B5-AC42-726025B931C1.html

Wow - that’s impressive…

1 Like

yes, it really does sub-max FTP estimation on endurance rides.

TR has my FTP at 263 but Garmin has it at 229. Greater than 10% difference seems more than a rounding error. Garmin has my information from my Crossfit workouts too. That being said, I am able to complete all my TR workouts. I am inclined to ‘believe’ my TR FTP when it comes to race pacing and workouts.

Garmin etc estimates FTP on max effort for a period of time (20mins for the auto test IIRC), you likely haven’t maxed out for that long in a TR session. AIFTP doesnt need a max effort. IIRC before Garmin changed its sensitivity settings after a chaingangs, where I hadn’t been riding at max but had been at a fairly high HR throughout. GC was estimating a value near 50w below my AI FTP and what I was putting out in TT’s.

Mine offered me an updated FTP today from just 90 minute Z2 64-72% and 5x 30 second to 1 minute efforts that turned out to be 125-128%, none of which were maximum, although my HR was higher than normal for the efforts.

The offer was within 5 watts of my Tested, 40 minutes FTP and TR which current match for the first time ever I think.

1 Like

Interesting, their own blurb I think says you have to set a 20mins power record that exceeds 95% of your current FTP for the Auto calculation.

Functional Threshold Power (FTP) | Garmin Technology

Ah thats on and edge bike computer, the auto detect you can turn on and off.
A lot of the watches can detect it from HR and HRV, I wear mine 24 /7 and its nearly always spot on. It doesnt require max or long efforts… 30/30s will trigger it if HR is high enough.

1 Like