Flagstaff Barn Burner?

Haven’t seen a dedicated thread on The Barn Burner in Flagstaff. I’m signed up, anyone else? Anyone who’s run it before, it seems like a pretty straightforward loop on (rough?) fire road type terrain? Anyone know if they allow drop bags at the start / finish for each lap?

1 Like

It’s been a few years since I last did it. IIRC the NW side descent is a little rock garden like for a mile or two but, nothing crazy. One thing I’d do different in the future is NOT worry about the le mans style start. Just let the guys who think they are fast and the guys who are fast get all worked up. Start when it clears out a few minutes later. You’re time starts when you go over the mat so you’re not “behind” per se. Plenty of room to pass people on every section of the course.

If you are super fast and want to stay with the leaders as it may help your time then definitely be very near the front on the way out as it was dusty and hard to see the line riding behind people. Potentially lots of wasted energy on the first lap if you go out with the fast guys and not at the very front. Just verify that’s still how they are doing it…

1 Like

I’ve done it a few times including last year. I don’t think they do drop bags but last year’s athlete guide is still up on their website. There’s an area just past the start/finish line where you can set up your stuff, either where your crew can wait for you to hand up stuff or set up your cooler etc.
The course is mostly fire roads and pretty boring. There is a downhill section that only has one good line. I saw a couple of crashes last year when riders tried to pass and got their wheels in a rut, other than that it’s an easy course to pass on. There tends to be afternoon storms in Flagstaff, last year it rolled in about half way through my last lap and the last 5 miles of the course got really muddy (it’s a well used jeep track) and real cold. I had to stop and use a stick to get the mud off the tires a couple of times. I’m an ~8 hour finisher though, the faster folks avoided the storm :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good intel, thanks. I’m not at the fast end of the field either, I’ll hopefully be targeting 8 hours, but not sure if that’s realistic yet.

1 Like