Feedback Needed: Polarized Plan Questions for the Community

Were you expecting a broader mix of VO2 and Sprint workouts in the Polarized Plan? Just asking because that’s what I was looking for as well.

After reading the comments, I assume that doesn’t work into the Seiler plan. I think these plans are a good base and could be easily customizable.

1 Like

^ This is a pretty good summary, aligned with my thinking and work with a high level coach that rather liked the Polarised TiD.

3 Likes

I think one thing is clear. No one here agrees. :smiley: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :expressionless: :cry: :sob:

46 Likes

But Nate… POL is easy. I have no idea why you’re making it so hard??? :stuck_out_tongue:

21 Likes

Absolutely!

I think they’ve gone down a rabbit hole with the 4-8-16 thing, especially as they seem to prescribe the all at the same intensity 103-105% ish. Seiler talks about all these being done as ‘max efforts across the 4 intervals’ so its clear the 4m and 16m intervals weren’t done at the same intensity as the 8m intervals.

The other thing I am hoping for is the periodisation of the intervals. The intervals in the 6 (12) week base must progress/evolve into something else during base and as events get close. There is always a shift to event specific training and I don’t get why these plans seem to obsess over 4-8-16 mins at basically the same intensity for up to 20 weeks.

I guess we’ll have to just approach it in our own ways like we have so far.

That is true but there are strong themes, and the main thing is to think about the concept and what the TiD is trying to achieve. The hard days have got to be v. hard and you have got to get those long steady adaptations (which don’t really fit in well with being inside, unless you’ve got a mind and butt of steal, you can do it for a few weeks but its not realistic to do on an ongoing basis inside IMO)

4 Likes

Why, did you expect otherwise Nate? Everyone has at least one opinion …

1 Like

step 1 is agreeing on what Seiler said… and so the problem begins :joy:

9 Likes

The one size fits all approach is never going to work. If you provide us with an exception base plan, we can make adjustments. I know I always play the old lady card on this forum, but whatever plan you publish will be perfect for male/female age 25-35. We as individual athletes must educate ourselves, test plans, and make adjustments to meet our needs. It’s absurd for people to think TrainerRoad could publish one plan that works for a 30 year old male, a 45 year old female and a 55 year old male.

7 Likes

This might be one of the best things I’ve read lately here. Well said.

2 Likes

Yes, we have to make our own adjustments. 100%. But tweaking a good plan is much easier than creating one from scratch.

1 Like

The build and specialty plans are focused on specific type of events/riders. Maybe that these polarized plans could have the same underlying approach?

It’s only 80% easy to be fair…

24 Likes

:rofl:

9 Likes

I think utilization of the ramp test is actually advantageous for implementation of Z3 work. If I go to my power curve, a ramp test from August has my PRs for 3 mins 20 sec through 4 min 57 sec. My 8 min PR is also in that test.

4 min PR is 94% of the max 1 min power
8 min PR is 85% of the max 1 min power
It seems like it would be easy for an app/ML to use that power-duration data to set ERG targets for 4x4’s and 4x8’s (just turn it down to 95% of the PR’s so users can actually complete the sets).

Idk if I’m the exception or the norm in terms of ERG use, but my adherence to indoor workouts is much greater with ERG. For hard workouts and fitness tests, I turn on a metronome to 100 bpm and just keep my legs on beat until I crack. It’s such a pain to find the perfect gear for the right cadence, ERG is a huge quality of life booster. The power curve data makes sure I’m not leaving fitness on the table.

Max efforts with 2 minutes rest between intervals. These are most likely not possible at 120%. You have to give it all into context.

If you can give me a quote where Seiler says “30/30 short shorts are just as good as a 4-minute Vo2 interval” we can update it.

We can’t say “Bigpikle says 30/30s are okay.” :smiley:

If we can’t point to something Seiler said, there will be a video made about it. :joy:

19 Likes

On youtube by Stephen Seiler:
Short Interval Blocks for Endurance Athletes Part 1
Short Interval Blocks for Endurance Athletes Part 2
Short Interval Blocks for Endurance Athletes Part 3

You could probably just quote all of it.

And to answer your earlier question about “how should they look?”, Seiler has never contradicted the notion that intensity should in some way resemble what you are training for. Design them to be race/event-specific. TR already does a great job of that.

2 Likes

Give this man a green beer

As you said @Nate_Pearson if you announced a cure for cancer, some people would still complain :unamused:

4 Likes

Are the plans available or just for beta users?

I see it on the app, but I can select it.