Feature request - Multiple FTP profiles

Just wanted to revive this discussion! Hadn’t seen it in a while. Now that tri season and cycling season are picking up and winter is closing down…

I thought a potential way to integrate this idea is on an athletes account, ask “multiple bikes?” If yes, user can pick TT, Road & MTB. A bike profile can be default. And then each “type” could have a default +/-% of the FTP training level.

On the workout description screen, a drop-down with “bike type” could be enabled if the user has 2 bikes and is using the non-default bike.

For example, with TT as the default, switching to road results in +3 or 5% next to the bike type on the profile for starters. Or road to TT, -5%. The athlete could adjust that percent up or down, but no more than 8 or 10 to help protect against user shared accounts.

Forgive the amateur pictures. Getting my oil changed and I’m using Paint

4 Likes

Thanks for the bump on this discussion. I’ll pass along to the team again to try to get more info about putting this on the roadmap. Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

No need to downplay. EXCELLENT artwork.

PSA: Running two unicycles instead of one bicycle is probably not UCI Legal.

7 Likes

Capturing unicycle on the multiple bikes profiles might also be difficult to do. Not sure what ftp adjustment that would need to look like

2 Likes

When I got my new recumbent my ftp on it was 90 watts less than my road bike. It took a full 6 months before my ftp on recumbent caught up and overtook my road bike FTP. Very different bikes can make a big difference especially if one riding position is fairly new to you.

Six months ago, I would have scoffed at this entire thread. I think I was being an impatient twit.

My road bikes all have Quarqs, and they track against my Kickr and Elite Driveo very closely.

Enter my Stages SB20 which arrived in February. Sigh. What a hot steaming load. I’ll continue to ride it, because frankly it’s ‘easy’ to hop on and go. Having already gotten new cranks from Stages, installed every battery known to humankind, rejiggered crank lengths, and contracted with an ancient Shaman, the SB20 is constantly 20w out of whack. 20w might not matter to you – but 20w, when you only have a 260 FTP, is a big deal. For me, something like 220w reported by the SB20 is actually 240w. :face_vomiting:

As it stands, I’m literally shattered trying to do SS workouts on the SB20 that used to be my bread-and-butter with my Quarqs.

Having an FTP selector for different trainers/bikes or something in TrainerRoad would be very nice.

2 Likes

Any news Ivy?

I know the team are focussed on the updated auto FTP and outdoor rides, but this feels very much as if it should be part of that same roadmap as riding different setups can have very different power profiles for the same level of fitness. So, “getting the right workout every time” also needs to take this into account unless you always ride inside on the same equipment.

Thanks

We’re working on a solution for multiple device power profiles in tandem with the inclusion of unstructured/outside rides in your Progression Levels.

10 Likes

Applause GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

5 Likes

RIGHT?!? It sounds pretty sophisticated and cool the way developers will address this. Im hyped.

6 Likes

Be careful over there. Nate’s gonna lock you out of that loop at some point… for stealing his “new feature” thunder :wink:

3 Likes

Are you saying this potentially would be something that you select when you set a scheduled workout for outside too? Seems like maybe since the projects seem to be linked a little bit now.

Example you mark a scheduled ride for outside it then prompts you for PM A or PM B. PM A selected and it would just send the workout as intended. PM B selected and it would send it modified for that different power profile.

Or just something that would possibly be prompting you after the fact on an unstructured ride?

Understand you are just relaying what you know and may not know that answer.

Both my current power meters are the same model so I haven’t thought too much about variations between them but we of course can’t help it at times. I recently had to swap them for a race (130 vs 110 1x gearing dilemma) so that was the first time I really wondered if they were different enough to matter but still not enough for me to test. This feature might actually get me to compare out of curiosity.

Where can we send beers for the support staff that are soon to get slammed with “how do I compare my two power meters” and “why does it only go to the 4th decimal place when my meter reads 3.000004% lower” tickets?

Not sure yet what the functionality of that feature would look like quite yet. I’ll provide updates for sure.

1 Like

For those of us that can’t match indoor to outdoor power- I would love the option for TR to measure metrics of both, look at survey responses for both, and calibrate different PL’s or FTP’s pending on whether we choose to ride on the trainer or outside.

I’ve been riding outdoors quite a bit this month, I know it’s going to inflate my FTP and as soon as I go back to the trainer I’m going to struggle with the higher intensity.

It would be great to have a different FTP for out vs in for those with a discrepancy and the same for everyone else.

1 Like

Different version of this is TT bike vs road bike (or just different bike profiles in general) which would be effectively the same functionality under a single profile. I know that at least has been brought up before

1 Like

@AussieRider, I merged your post with this existing one. Inside vs outside is one of several reasons a different “FTP” value would be useful. Different power data devices (power meters and trainers with different power reporting) along with bikes that lead to different effective FTP (Road vs TT vs MTB) are some of the additional reasons that using more than one “FTP” would be beneficial.

2 Likes

Thanks. Kind of blows my mind this hasn’t been resolved yet. By far my biggest challenge with TR is finding the balance between indoor and outdoor ride intensities. At first I was told it takes time to get used to the trainer (it’s been over a year), then it was heat management, (I have AC plus 3 large Lasko fans- zero sweat), then it was PM discrepancy, I use powermatch.

Now if I don’t fiddle with the survey responses either I can’t complete indoor workouts or I’m overshooting outdoor workouts by 10%

2 Likes

The real only solution is to buy pedal based power meter.
Which basically means go and buy Favero Assioma and be (super) happy with them

That potentially address some of the power data equation, but still falls short.

• May not work for those on MTB or Gravel setups that want SPD setups. Even with the option to hack that via Assioma’s, there are people mixing road and dirt use where different pedals are inevitible.

• It does nothing to address functional differences in performance between bike fit & setup (road, TT, MTB, etc.) since those can impact the attainable power despite having an identical power meter in use.

• It also does nothing for differences present between inside and outside use, even if you have the same exact bike and power meter in use for both locations.

In short, there are MANY potential influences here and there is no “easy” answer.

5 Likes

This should be so easy to implement… I mean really really easy. Honestly, like hours of work not days or weeks.