Ability to schedule recovery weeks more frequently (2 on, 1 off) [Feature Request]

Is there an item in the feature backlog enabling a user to indicate more frequent recovery weeks? A 2 on - 1 off template is common among older athletes and those who don’t recover as quickly (like myself).

If not, is there guidance I could leverage to determine how to break up the current training plans into this cadence?

Thanks for the consideration.

4 Likes

No automatic way of doing it as far as I know but there have been previous threads on how to adjust the plans to include more recovery weeks.

This might be a good place to start, both in terms of how it can work, and how to actually do it on the calendar:

3 Likes

As linked above, that covers the Sweet Spot Base pattern changing:

• From 5:1 + 5:1 = 12 Weeks Total
  • To 4:1 + 3:1 + 3:1 = 13 Weeks Total

I am currently testing my own change in Build and have been meaning to document it, so here is the first draft:

• From 3:1 + 3:1 = 8 Weeks Total
  • To 2:1 + 2:1 + 2:1 = 9 Weeks Total

Instructions for Alternate Build or Specialty, Work : Recovery Week Layout:

1. Apply the desired Build or Specialty plan to your calendar.
  2. Push Week 3 down one week.
  3. Push Week 3 down one week again (this makes two open weeks, after Week 2).
  4. Copy Week 4 (Recovery) up into the first open week (right after Week 2).
  5. Move Week 5 up to the final open week (right after the new Week 4 copy).
  6. Move the Week 5 annotation up to match the week move (this does not happen automatically).
  7. Pull Week 6 up one week.

The final order is:

• Week 1 (Work)
  • Week 2 (Work)
  • Week 4 (Copied Recovery)
  • Week 5 (Work, see note below about order)
  • Week 3 (Work, see note below about order)
  • Week 4 (Recovery)
  • Week 6 (Work / Taper)
  • Week 7 (Work / Taper)
  • Week 8 (Recovery / Taper)

Notes:

• I swap Weeks 3 & 5 to get proper TSS ramp up (needs to build from week to week). As a bonus, Week 5 includes a Ramp Test by default.
  • You can swap in a Ramp Test into Week 6 if you want, manually adjust FTP, or leave FTP alone for the final 2:1 segment.
4 Likes

Good stuff. I’m learning that Build beats me up and I may need to move to something like that. Currently I just started making z2 days easier (Pettit-1) and recovery weeks easier (SSB1 recovery week). I will look to make those 2 hour Sunday rides a bit easier as well because I’m carrying too much fatigue into the next week.

1 Like

Thanks for the template. My original reply asked a question you clearly answered at the bottom of your comment. :slight_smile:

Appreciate the guidance!

1 Like

Hi, I do best with 3-week training periods (2 progressive training weeks followed by 1 week rest). Many plans use a 4-week period, but TR often schedules 5 weeks before a rest week. There’s not enough recovery in that plan for older riders. I’ve seen the suggestions for a 9-day week. But I’d rather be able to choose the the number of weeks per block in the periodization schedule. Thanks.

5 Likes

@mcneese.chad - can we add this to the other requests for Masters plans/more rest weeks? I want to bump those votes up!

4 Likes

I am all for merging, but this one is a bit muddy (hence why I haven’t done it yet despite considering this yesterday).

Here are some candidates that I am waffling between:

2 Likes

I hear you. They all merge together. It surprises me that it’s not higher priority given how many high frequency requests it would solve. I was pretty surprised to see running was a higher priority than masters plans and recovery weeks.

3 Likes

That would be amazing! I actually do better with more weeks of training before my recovery week. This week was my first week back after the recovery and it hurts to bring my heart rate back to what used to be a comfortable uncomfortable high rate.

1 Like

While talking about making plans even more personalized, - it would be fantastic if we in the builder had the opportunity to enter how much time we had for training each day,as in Monday, 75min; Tuesday, 0min, Wednesday 90min etc.

1 Like

That particular idea is already covered by a separate Feature Request:

2 Likes

Cheers, Chad!

1 Like

Absolutely. The 2 weeks on one 1 off request matches mine so that’s where it belongs. I actually did a search before posting but didn’t find that one.

2 Likes

OK, I moved your topic and the replies under the 2:1 topic.

3 Likes

Can you still modify a plan as described earlier in this thread by moving weeks around, and won’t that mess up the AT feature?

Sadly, they removed the Push-Pull tools that were key in the usage of my Alternate plans, so it is not as easy to do now. It can be done, but it takes a sledgehammer approach now and I have not taken the effort to document the path because it kinda sucks to be honest.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I thought. Thanks.

1 Like

It definitely is not a simply move as it has a ripple effect throughout the plan.

I do force it to work by manually moving workouts around. AIFTP still seems to adapt to it as well as the workouts still seem to adjust the PLs.

The one thing that can get messed up is the Ramp Test timing.

2 Likes