Favero Assioma Users

Excuse my ignorance but could someone please explain how they can remote in and see the pedal telemetry? Is the Assioma app transmitting data in the background via mobile data or when connected to WiFi?
If you don’t have your phone near the bike and zero offset via your head unit then they can’t remote in???

The app just creates a log file that uploads to favero when you log a support request.

The beauty of having DUO pedals is that you have two separate power meters - It’s I unlikely you have an issue with the power accuracy if the left right power is ok.

1 Like

Good to hear. Thanks!

So my understanding from what I have been told by Favero is that when you connect to the pedals with the app and do a zero offset, it collects some data at that time and sends it to favero. I don’t know what kind of data this involves, but I would guess it involves some logging of statistics and/or ‘error’ events that gives them some insight into how the pedals are operating. It’s possible that the app triggers some kind of self-diagnostic as part of the zero, but have no idea if that is something that they do.

Just got some Duos and did a combined test ride in Zwift and TR. Accuracy plus drive train losses explain the differences in the critical power curve on the left side. Super happy so far.

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 7.33.41 PM

What software did you use to analyze L/R balance/effectiveness? Thanks!

@kbro, Garmin Connect. On my Edge 830 I had to enable additional cycling dynamics.

Also this video. The whole thing is good but start at 4:00 if you’re pressed for time.

1 Like

New question: Can the Assiomas be connected to TR just for cadence?

I haven’t decided if I’m going to use Power Match yet. I dual record my rides on my head unit and like the idea of independently being able to compare power between the pedals and trainer to determine if one or the other starts to have issues.

I did a super short test this morning toward the end of a workout during some easy spinning and connected the Assiomas to TR. I was across the room from the laptop using a wireless mouse so I don’t actually know if I turned of Power Match, but when I back pedaled the workout stopped, instead of continuing just with zero power like it used to when I had a stand alone cadence sensor connected to TR.

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn’t worry about dual recording the pedals and trainer power all the time. If the power is suddenly off you will notice when workouts feel too hard or easy. Then it’s trivial to do a check. Or just dual record on every ramp test. (The ramp test is arguably one of the best profiles to compare power on, at least for steady state power, which matters most).

I don’t think you can have TR ignore the power reading, but I think you can turn off auto-pause.

I think there’s a “use for cadence only” button if you click on the pedals in the devices area, I think right under the calibration button

3 Likes

@huges84, @Cleanneon98, thanks! I’ll look at the settings in more detail tonight.

I’m definitely going to check this out! If I do have to hop off of the bike for some reason I’ll manually pause it. Very good to know!

Reporting back, there wasn’t an option to turn off only auto-pause. The option was for auto-pause and pedal to resume, which is a feature I do want.

Also, I connected the Assiomas and selected Cadence Only, then tried a back pedal to see if TR would continue. Nope. The Assiomas are smart are recognize that I was pedaling backward.

So, simple solution for me was to reinstall by Wahoo cadence sensor. The bike lives on the trainer 95% of the time and the ability to back pedal, while I don’t want to use it, is nice to have.

Thanks for the help!

Hello all,
Thanks for all your comments.

I have a pair of Duo, this weekend the power data seems to be way-off of what it should be. I have made a trial and installed them on another bike with a Quarq DZero and seems to be -10% off.

At the same time, made a test with my Tacx Neo and the difference goes down to -4%.

Do any of you have these sort of problems? I am now not certain of which is the right power data. Have read that temperature affects significantly to power data accuracy.

At the same time, I have opened an incidence with Assioma, first one. Do you guys know if they are quick and efficient?

Thanks in advance for responses and apologies if I am being repetitive.

My favero’S are consistently 3-4% higher than my kickr (2018). For instance this morning it was 300 watts vs 291. I’ve calibrated a million times. Is this fairly typical?

1 Like

My understanding is that power output measured at the pedals will be higher than output measured anywhere else. There will also be a percentage loss in power when it’s measured using the flywheel on your trainer.
I would say the power measured on your pedals is more accurate. I’m no expert however and others here might have a better insight.

Yes, sounds spot on.

Also agreed, same here. Assuming 100% is power at the pedals, then a perfectly maintained drivetrain is apparently about 98% efficient, so most of us (assuming reasonable but not obsessive diligence in maintenance) will probably be a touch below that. Factor in plus or minus a % for accuracy of measurement and there’s your 3-4%.

Do manufactures of smart trainers take into account drivetrain loss though? eg adding 2% to whatever they measure to make up for 2% drivetrain loss.

To the best of my knowledge trainers do not account for drive train losses, just like a rear hub power meter wouldn’t. There are too many variables to accurately account for it and, quite frankly, it doesn’t matter that much as long as you consistently measure power at the same location in the same way. Any time you change that (new power meter, different trainer, moved pedals from one bike to another and back, etc) you should recalibrate, and calibrate per the manufacturer’s recommendation.

1 Like

Does it matter that I have a wahoo head unit? Will I still be able to see data about both legs after the ride? (and if so, how?) Should this impact my decision between getting the UNO or the DUO?

Thanks!